Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search the site for this topic but found no success, I apologize if this has already been posted.
What is the best way to store a car in a garage for the winter?? I was thinking first of just pulling the battery out and letting it sit there, but sitting in the same position for almost 6 months would definitley ruin the tires.
Then I was thinking of saving the tires by putting the car on some sort of stand using the frame. But then again that would sorta warp the frame for 6 whole months.
So my only conclusion is to put crappy tires on the car and just let it sit...
Any thoughts???

Indy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, I was really hot on getting a '69 Mach I a few years ago and looking into winter storage. Here is what I remember:

These are not in order, I think you can figure that out

-clean, and wax. Make sure the car is completely dry
-cover or put it in one of those car bags
-cover up the exhaust pipe (keeps creatures from moving in
-add a gas stablizer (ask a mechanic about this)

Now this one may not be necessary on new cars and PLEASE ask a mechanic:
-you should remove the spark plugs and put a tablespoon of ???? (oil of some type I think) in the cylinder. Put the plug back in. Repeat for all cylinders. Now this is up to you how you do it, you need to crank the engine a few revolutions with out starting it to coat the inside of the cylinders. This keeps the cylinder walls from rusting. Again, is this needed on new cars?

Remember its been a few years and this was an article on winter storage using a '68 Selby.

Farch

·
Registered
33 Posts
Doh! Forgot the most important part for tires:
-place the car on stands to keep the tires just off the ground. Keeps them from developing flat spots.

Farch

·
Registered
814 Posts
At what time intervals should we strart the car and let in run. I know it can't be good to not start a car for 4-6 months

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YOu dont think putting on the car on stands will warp the frame somewhat? I know the frame is hard and shouldnt bend and I doubt it would..but even if it bent a tiny half an inch could change the way the car rides..???

Iny

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not sure if it would hurt the frame, the car in the article was a '68-69 Shelby, big $$$.

Indy do you live in Indy? If so I start working there in 2 weeks and can give you the Mustang mag that has the winter storage article.

Ok I just found the magazine with the winter storage article. Forget the tablespoon of oil in the cylinder, I must have read that somewhere else.

They talked to a Ford engineer he said to change the oil just before storing the car to get rid of contaminants in the oil and you'll have fresh oil when you start the car in the spring.

Something else the engineer said was to not start the car at all during the winter storage. The reason: "a cold engine sucks in moist air, it creates condensation in the crankcase. This moisture reacts with the sulphur in the oil to create an acid, which over time can pit metal."

Again this is from a classic Mustang magazine. I assume that the sulpher doesn't exist in synthetic oil.

Farch

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds interesting. Everything makes sense especially with moist air and all.
I dont live in Indy, I live in NY.
I am a fan of Indiana Jones so thats how I got my name..hehehe.
Anyways I am going to go dig into some of my mags here and see if they have any articles on car storage for new cars...there probably is a difference in storing old cars Vs. New Cars...
Just like new cars dont need to be broken into anymore although that doesnt stop anyone from still doing it hehehe.

Dr. Jones

1 - 8 of 8 Posts