Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Well a couple of tips already posted are incorrect. I have been storing my IS300 for the third time this winter and what I do is to make sure the car has a full tank of gas. This is to ensure no moisture or condensation forms in the tank, if the tank is full with gas there is no room for moisture or condensation to form.

Second the battery, either disconnect the battery and bring it in to your house or somewhere warmer than the garage or use a trickle charger that maintains a charge. Thats what I use because its easier and the car is ready to go when I want to start it up and drive it.

Third is the tires, make sure they are properly inflated or the best thing it to lift the entire car off the ground using jack stands. I myself leave the car on the ground and make sure the tires are properly inflated. Because I like to drive the car once a month or so, and thats easier than jacking the car up and down.

And lastly driving or starting the car once a month is a real good idea just to keep everything lubed right and to prevent moisture or condensation from forming in the engine or any electrical type parts (alternator, starter etc). I like to either drive the car around for a half hour or so, or if the weather is crapy then start the car (with the garage door open!!) and let it run until it gets hot enough for the cooling fans to start working (about 20mins in cold weather).

There are many more ideas and thoughts on winterizing your car (like Heat in you gas) but I have the belief if you start and drive it once a month then alot of the tiny "detail" type things aren't necessary. Now if you were to stor it for lets say 6 months with out starting it then I would go and do everything like lifting the car, removing the battery etc.

Mike

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
vlad_a said:
I don't get the gas tank idea either, but that's what one of the 'vettes owners mentioned in his writing.
I don't get it either but maybe thats if your going to store your vehicle for a long period of time with out driving/starting. I really believe that starting it or driving it at least once a month you can skip some of the long term storage tips/steps.

I look at winter storing step opinions like I look at detail waxing opinions. Everyone has a different way of doing it but the end results are the same.

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.