Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no matter how hard i try i cannot keep my car clean in this fuggin weather, how many times a week do you guys wash your car in the winter, its pretty hot here today got up to 26, i cant wait to move to tampa :pissed:

·
Registered
328 Posts
jersey shore...

yea i hear ya. im live right on the jersey shore. and that ocean breeze brought in a whopping 20 i believe today....and it was warm! anyways, i do detail cars for 2 places (my own garage & a friends)...my friends happens to be heated. i bring it there about once a week to get washed and every other i wax it...although in the winter sometimes i only do it once a month. in the summer tho...we're talkin almost a complete addiction to a wax bottle and my car. i think i wax my car almost twice a week. got to keep it show ready at all times. if you're in the area, give me a shout, i'll help u out.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea a nice heated place would be nice, nah im close to Va, but thanks for the offer bud, i guess ill have to keep on going to the hp washer just to keep the salt off for now. :whine:

·
Registered
328 Posts
yea..

worse thing u can do is tryin to wax it if all the salt isnt off it. dependin how hardcore u are....invest in a good clay bar set and when u get the chance...(warmer weather)...wash your car, clay it to remove all the winter crap, and wax it the way it should be....you'll see excellent results.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I used to take my previous ride to get it handwashed. Paid $15 and tipped the guy $5. As for my IS, washed it back in mid-Dec and it's still spotless. Oh, I've only driven it 3 times since then. :lol:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The only way I keep my IS clean during winter is.................................
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
I keep it in the garage during winter season. :)

If you dont have another vehicle then I guess there's no way to really keep your IS clean during winter season. How about stopping by coin op self wash, just use the pressure washer every time snow stops so you can get rid of any snow/salt in your car. Depending on how cold it gets in your location, I wonder if you can dry it after washing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Buy a bunch of 100% cotton rags from a 99cents store or something, then purchase meguires detailing spray. Every time you stop just look, spray, and wipe away...........

I hope this helps. i was my car about every weekend and in btwn i do this. :wink:

·
11,054 Posts
I get to the detailer for a hand wash about once a week. The inside doesn't need it more than once in two months. No help for it..as soon as you wash it the friggin' rain starts in again and the road grime starts accumulating.
Having a detailing shop must be like having a hair salon...no matter what you do, you KNOW the customer will need the service again soon.

·
11,054 Posts
BugginOuT said:
I was told that if you bring it to an auto-detailing place, what are things that they must NOT do....?
Well, I try to make it understood that they use CLEAN rags on my car...not something they used on another one that might have grit in it. I have a good thing going with them; they understand and WATCH it and they get tipped. The staff is pretty consistent...same guys all the time. Also, I'm a regular customer, so I can drop in any time and they will "fit me in" even when they are very busy.

·
Registered
328 Posts
detailin..

yea i run my own personal detailing from home, and then i also help out the owner of another detailing place...and there is a clear difference between the care that i put into it and the care he puts into his big-time shop..they do not take care of most of the cars the way they should, unless its someone special.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SeattleSheila said:
I get to the detailer for a hand wash about once a week. The inside doesn't need it more than once in two months. No help for it..as soon as you wash it the friggin' rain starts in again and the road grime starts accumulating.
Having a detailing shop must be like having a hair salon...no matter what you do, you KNOW the customer will need the service again soon.
I know what you mean seems like for the past 2 months everytime i spray off my car it starts raining right after, the other day it was 40 degrees so i decided to wash and dry real well spend about an hour / washing and drying and i drive off and it starts raining. I get frustrated. Today i was gonna spray the salt off but its like 20 degrees now and i cant because the water freezes before you can spray it off. :pissed: ugh i cant wait to move down to tampa fla, i used to like cold weather but now i really really hate it.

·
11,054 Posts
Mike 1 said:
SeattleSheila said:
I know what you mean seems like for the past 2 months everytime i spray off my car it starts raining right after, the other day it was 40 degrees so i decided to wash and dry real well spend about an hour / washing and drying and i drive off and it starts raining. I get frustrated. Today i was gonna spray the salt off but its like 20 degrees now and i cant because the water freezes before you can spray it off. :pissed: ugh i cant wait to move down to tampa fla, i used to like cold weather but now i really really hate it.

Salt is murder on a car. Thank GOD they don't use salt out here...just sand and deicer solution.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.