Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I am planning on getting my IS with summer tires. But, I live in southern Michigan where its off and on snow during the winter. I'm worried about driving my IS with summer tires in these conditions. Does anybody have an opinion of whether or not I should buy all season tires, or am I ok with just using summer tires, if I'm careful? Does anybody know if the traction is similar to BMW traction? If it is, maybe I'm ok without the all seasons? Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
I live in Toronto which also have quite some snow in the winter.

I would suggest having 2 sets of tires w/ rims; 17" rim w/ summer tires and 16" rim w/ winter tires. For peace of mind, buy a set of stock 17" rims and a set of aftermarket 16" rims. Usually when the rims get bigger and the tire profile gets lower, it is more susceptible to tire balancing errors and vibration.

The problem I had with Toyota/Lexus models when buying aftermarket rims is that I always require a centre hub adapter (a ring) as most the rim hub is too big to fit perfectly to the cars.

When changing the rims a lot, the centre ring may get worned out and you may feel the steering wheel vibration.

Of course, things could change and there may be more wheels which are made specifically for Altezza/IS300 and don't require the ring.

People intending to go for aftermarket 17" or 18" should know more about it.

Just my 2 cents.

AndyL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks AndyL. I have talked to people around here that have told me that the car would be impossible to control in the winter. Maybe I can just find a pair of cheap rims and sacrafice the looks of the car for the winter time. I guess its worth sacrificing looks for not ramming the car into a pole, eh? So, the traction control and LSD are not enough to keep me from flying off the road?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for another set of wheels for just two or three months a year. Are there decent looking 17" w/ all season that can be put on there? Forgive me, I'm not very proficient in the knowledge of car parts cost, etc. Advice on where to buy and what brands to buy? Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
For an all 'round performance tire, I recommend the Pirelli P7000 SuperSport. They are very good performance tires that are M+S rated and have a tread rating of 320!!! That's unheard of in performance tires. They should only run about $150 each. I have them on my Legend and I love them!

Mark

Originally posted by picric:
I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for another set of wheels for just two or three months a year. Are there decent looking 17" w/ all season that can be put on there? Forgive me, I'm not very proficient in the knowledge of car parts cost, etc. Advice on where to buy and what brands to buy? Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts