Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out with a bunch of Audi guys for a little driving trip. It was lots of fun until someone lost it in a corner. He was in too fast for the square corner and went right into the ditch. It looked like it went over a rock and ruptured the coolant system.

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
Oh man, that sucks! The guy in the brown jacket sure seems to think it was funny.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Aren't they supposed to have the holy "Quattro" all-wheel drive system???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Re: ...

neiiy69 said:
i guess the 4 wheels wasnt doint to good glad i got the is and not an a4 1.8t would of got it just cause of the 4 wheel.... :shame:
Smart move... i wanted the S4...But settled for the IS and i happy as can be. 8)

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Shopsey'IS300 said:
Ouch..... Yeah dont they have the Quattro All Wheel Drive System?? Suppose to handle great Huh???

quattro, chains, snow tires, etc... nothign will stop you from flying off the road if you lock the wheels up on snow.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
Shopsey'IS300 said:
Ouch..... Yeah dont they have the Quattro All Wheel Drive System?? Suppose to handle great Huh???

quattro, chains, snow tires, etc... nothign will stop you from flying off the road if you lock the wheels up on snow.
True....Once u lock its all over.

·
Registered
836 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
Shopsey'IS300 said:

or going triple digits

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
D'sIS said:
s0yb0mb said:
Shopsey'IS300 said:

or going triple digits
seriously, 145 is little over 90 mph...that's ridiculous to do on snow

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
Quattro, ABS, traction control... all of which should keep your wheels from locking up on snow, smartypants.

I can't bash the Audi's Quattro though. It's the best system bar none. This was clearly a case of severe driver error.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
kinddog said:
s0yb0mb said:
Quattro, ABS, traction control... all of which should keep your wheels from locking up on snow, smartypants.

I can't bash the Audi's Quattro though. It's the best system bar none. This was clearly a case of severe driver error.

I dont see how the quattro is the best system.. when all it is~ is a 4 wheel drive system.. with the audi's Quattro Tag..

isn't it like Honda CR-V's All Wheel Drive ?? or any other 4 wheel drive system~

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Actually, here is a great quote from Sacrificial on this subject...

Sacrificial said:
Quattro is only the best-marketed AWD system on the market. It doesn't take the technological crown by a long shot. Quattro IV (the current) saves money by only employing a center Torsen diff with no LSDs on any axle. What Audi terms EDL (Electronic Differential Locking) is really only a minor variation of the common traction control systems found on most cars, in that it uses the existing ABS hardware to brake a slipping wheel to send power to the opposite wheel.

Frankly, even the Lexus RX300 has a more advanced AWD system with a viscous center diff and Torsen rear diff.

The crown for the most advanced non-exotic AWD system goes to the Mitsubishi ACD center + AYC rear + Torsen-type front on the Lancer Evo VII, and Nissan's ATTESSA ETS Pro on the Skyline R34 GT-R

Volvo uses the Haldex "AWD" system. It's really FWD with part-time AWD capability, constrained by the inability to ever send more torque to the rear wheels than the front. (There really is no center diff, instead employing an electronically-controlled clutch pack to decide if torque needs to be sent to the rear axle.) There is no torque differentiation between two outputs as in the case of a real differential since the front is constantly driven. So of course the Quattro beats that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
22 Participants
uberchuckie
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing