Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone I am looking at the possibility of purchasing the first generation Lexus IS 300. Overall I am in love with the car and ready to go out and buy one right now but there is one small problem that I have, winter driving how is it? I like to consider my self a fairly good driver and have experience with driving rear drive trucks in the winter. I am curious to know how the Lexus traction control helps out in the snow. I do know from experience that traction control on our new Avalanche can make or break rear wheel driving in the winter, with It on I can make it pretty much any were with out having to kick it in to 4 wheel drive. I do live in Vermont so the fact is I am going to have to drive in the snow at some point. I am just wondering what people have to say about their winter driving experiences. Sorry to ask what I am sure is a very n00b question thanks.

One thing i must add is that i would get a real nice set of snow tires for it and I am not expecting to get through a foot of snow but wondering if that is going to cut it.

I have spent some time searching around in the forums and what i keep reading is that the with a set a of good snows, and adjusting to driving to snowy condition (which i am know stranger to) i should not have a problem. Still just want to get some owner input on this one.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Welcome to the boards. Feel free to use the "search" feature on the toolbar of the forum for any questions that you might have. You can find many answers just learking around.

To answer your question.....its not very good in the snow. At least in my experience. one reason why is that most come with "Summer/Sport Tires". Thats half the battle. I would suggest one of two things. Get some really good "All Season" tires like:
Bridgestone Potenza G 009
(Bridgestone Potenza G 009)

Personal experience from these tires are that they are awesome.

Another suggestion is to keep what you have now and get a set of Winter Rims with Snow tires.

I have also driven with snow tires. This would probably be ideal, but more of a pain as you have to switch rims before and after every winter.

Another thing that might help is if you are shopping for an IS300 now, get one with an LSD. That will help a little more with traction.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I live in Boston where we get a good amount of snow. I also drive up to Killington every other weekend to go snowboarding. So to answer your question from my expierence I think the car does well with snow tires. I have blizzaks that I put on during the winter and it makes a huge difference especially when I drive up north.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
I have Blizzaks and had no issues in more than 7-8 inches of snow this winter. Go for it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
winter tires are definitely a good idea. another thing that helped me out was to keep some salt/ sand in the trunk since I dont have winter tires. I would usually have about 300 lbs or so. Once the car is moving, its not that bad... but trying to navigate through the unplowed streets/alleys in chicago was pretty bad w/o the extra weight. Otherwise, there just isnt enough weight over the back tires to give it traction.
I also found that at lower speeds it is better to have traction control off and let my LSD sort it out. Above 30-40 mph I used traction control

·
Registered
55 Posts
Im driving mine in the winter, and it is snowing here in denmark at the moment, of course im running on wintertyres.

The car has furthermore been protected agains rust.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i have the bridgstones and I did ok in the snow this past winter but next winter all deffinitly put some weight in the back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts