Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my wine menu that Im doing for a project at school. Its for a family dinning so the price are a little bit cheap and so as the wine.

WINE Menu

White Wine
(Glass) (Bottle)
Dom. Spielmann Pinot Blanc 1999 (Alsace)………………..$5.25 $21.00
Our house wine with full-bodied, apple and citrus taste.
Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc-Viognier 2001 (Monterey County)…$4.75 $18.00
Great dry styled chenin. With apple and lime. Fresh and dynamically flavored.
St. Supery Sauvignon Blanc 2001 (Napa Valley)………………$5.75 $22.00
Bright, fresh, with citrus, floral and flint; clean style, intense and crisp.
Fall Creek Chardonnay 2000 (Texas Hill Country)…………….$5.75 $22.00
Smooth apple and pear taste. Wonderfully balanced.
Atlas Peak Chardonnay 2000 (Napa Valley)……………………$5.00 $19.00
Soft, medium full and dry, with pear, melon and light oak.
Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay. 2000 (California)……………….$7.00 $24.00
Rich and full bodied wine with tropical fruit.
Beringer White Zinfandel 2001 (California)…………………….$4.00 $12.00
Smooth, easy drinking with hints of watermelon and fresh raspberries.
Pinot Grigio, Pignan 2000 (Friuli,Italy)………………………….$6.50 $24.00
Crisp, light pinot grigio with strawberry and almonds.
Red Wine
(Glass) (Bottle)
Perrin Cotes du Rhone 1999 (Rhone)…………………….$4.75 $18.00
Dry Rhone, soft palate, black cherry, minerals and spice.
Haywood Vintner's Merlot 2000 (California)……………$4.75 $18.00
Smooth, rich bodied merlot, with plum, blueberry and cedar box.
Liberty School Cabernet Sauvignon 2000 (Sonoma)……$5.50 $21.00
Deep, soft fruit finishes long with toasty oak.
Morgan Pinot Noir 1999 (Monterey Co.)………………$7.75 $29.00
Strong, spicy Pinot with broad fruit and long lingering finish.
Merlot Burlwood, California……………………………$3.75 $14.95
A nice light style, soft and fruity a good choice of red wine drinker
Merlot Gallo of Sonoma, Sonoma, California………….$4.00 $16.00
A Nice smooth, full-bodied wine that has pleasant aromas of raspberry.
Cabernet Sauvignon Burlwood Cellars, California……$3.00 $13.00
The grapes for this Cabernet hail from California's revered Paso Robles region..

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
Theres no Maddog 20/20 or Boones Farm. The list is incomplete.

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
Throw more older wines on there.

Wines from the 2000 and 2001 seasons have more of a chemical.... unfinished taste to them for some reason. I think it has to do with the low rains over the past two seasons.

A 1997-1998 Merlot or Cabernet is a great addition to any menu.... those were the El Nino affected years... they produced some of the fullest wine I've ever tasted.

For whites.... 1999 was a great year for california whites. Actually, Northern Cali (Mendocino County) grown whites from that year are rated among the best in recent history.

I know nothing about pink shit.

Also.... you want (even on a family dining menu) have at least one old, expensive, "special occasion" wine. This more expensive wine won't sell a whole lot.... but it will every now and then.

The main purpose of having a more expensive wine on your menu is a comfort thing. People come into a restaurant and look at the wine menu and see a $130 bottle on the menu... the thought of that particular restaurant being a flop is banished from their minds.

For a pricey bottle.... I recommend a 1997 Silverado Hills Merlot. That'll be nice.

just my .02

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Any input on "eiswein"? I saw one a few days before Thanksgiving at my friend's house. Are they good?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
all the wine that you listed, I like the Pine Ridge, St. Supery, Atlas peak, and Perrin Rhone. You can get good, not expensive rhone wines, which are readily drinkable. Cabs, merlot etc, would be too young and can be harsh.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
winedoc said:
all the wine that you listed, I like the Pine Ridge, St. Supery, Atlas peak, and Perrin Rhone. You can get good, not expensive rhone wines, which are readily drinkable. Cabs, merlot etc, would be too young and can be harsh.
Do you approve the wine I listed for familly dining?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
O3 said:
Any input on "eiswein"? I saw one a few days before Thanksgiving at my friend's house. Are they good?
It's made from grapes that were allowed to freeze on the vine. It's translation is Ice Wine (pretty obvious there :p). So, it's made in some pretty cold places. Canada and Germany are the only two that I really know of. What happens is the outer layers freeze, so they can "press" out only the sweetest juices from the grape. Real dessert wine stuff, even sweeter than a Sauternes, from what I've read. Oh, and it's expensive. I've only seen it sold in half-bottles (375ml), and around here from 30-40 for that. I'm just getting into wine so I'm by no means and expert, so anyone else feel free to jump in.

As for the wine list suggestion, I agree that you should have a "special" bottle of something laying around. I've seen a lot of restaurants keeping a bottle of Dom around (and overcharging) for the rare occasion someone wants one. You don't even need to do that expensive if you don't want to. Stock a Cliquot La Grande Dame (65$ retail I believe), just in case :D

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
NoIs300 ): said:
winedoc said:
Do you approve the wine I listed for familly dining?
They look fine, but what kind of food are you serving?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I pretty much only drink reds if it's up to me, but I could add a couple decent suggestions for under $20 retail.

Blackstone merlot, Clos du Bois merlot, Ravenswood cabernet.

And please, no Gallo.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
ATLDave said:
I pretty much only drink reds if it's up to me, but I could add a couple decent suggestions for under $20 retail.

And please, no Gallo.
Gallo is not what it used to be. They have been trying to revamping their image of "jug wine". They are not there yet, but the quality in general has improved compares with stuff they made few years back.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
winedoc said:
ATLDave said:

And please, no Gallo.
Gallo is not what it used to be. They have been trying to revamping their image of "jug wine". They are not there yet, but the quality in general has improved compares with stuff they made few years back.
Well I'll try anything twice. I actually really need to find some cheap magnums to keep around the house.

While doing the old budget, I realized I spend way to much on wine. A few $20 bottles a week really adds up over the year...

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
WHERE'RE THE PORTUGUESE WINES??? YOU RACIST SWINE!!!!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Trovador said:
nothing from Chile or South America?

Concha y Toro
Casillero del Diablo
Santa Rita
etc...
Had tried the Concha y Toro Cabs, actually one of my favorite for the price. And Santa Rita is very good for everyday drinking. Good Suggestions Trov!

·
11,062 Posts
You NEED a fine Oregon Pinot Noir

Could add something nice from Washington too.

Australia makes good juice too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts