Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a good *quality* fluid you guys use, especially in areas with extreme weather (snow in winter, hot and humid in summer)? Small question, but I never replaced this myself before on this car, in over 5 years!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Don't buy the RainX bug remover stuff. I think because of the RainX coating, it's very streaky and leaves a noticeable film on the window. The film I don't mind, but the streaking is very annoying. But now I have a big reservoir of this crap to get through. I was much happier with the cheapo $1 kind.

If you haven't refilled your washer fluid in 5 years, you probably don't use it much anyway. Just go with something simple.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
What's a good *quality* fluid you guys use, especially in areas with extreme weather (snow in winter, hot and humid in summer)? Small question, but I never replaced this myself before on this car, in over 5 years!
That's what you get for leaving sunny SoCal :bah:

I usually just get the cheap blue washer fluid but in areas with extreme weather such as snow, mix it with 70% methanol so it won't freeze. :p Just make sure no one is smoking near your car when you spray it. :lol:

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ haha maybe i should just pour top shelf vodka in there "no officer it's not me it's my car it needs it, really!"

Reactions: tha_littlest_insane

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Ha,ha. I use the Pinkish fluid, it's little bit more expensive than cheapo Blue stuff, but cleanes way better. I noticed that some cheapo places will just pour water with little bit of blue stuff in it and top it off for you for "free" but you get mostly water.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I use the blue stuff at work an mix it with water. Works just fine...

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay so think pink, anybody got names?? haha

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
okay so think pink, anybody got names?? haha
I get it at Advance Auto Parts store, they usually cary 3-4 different washing fluids, don't know the name. Hopefully that helps. It says it has 40% more washing ingridients than the blue stuff.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Wow... such a JDM car nut... but never put windshield washer fluid in his car!!! :shocked: lol :p

I think I can give good feedback in this question since I am Canadian. Where I'm at temperatures can range from -40F to +95F... so we are at both ranges of the spectrum. To be honest... just like how we use winter and summer tires... I use winter and summer fluid. During the summer I use the regular "red stuff" from Canadian Tire (equivalent of PepBoys/Autozone). However in the winter I use windshield washer fluid with anti-freeze and TEFLON. It's a bit more than the cheap-o blue stuff... but I like it. The TEFLON windshield washer fluid used to be purple but now it's orange.

I've heard good things about Rain-X winter fluid tho. My friend said it worked for him in terms of beading up the water and having it roll off the glass.

Reactions: chado

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^ sounds good, never heard of teflon in washer fluid before.

nah, i just never filled it myself it was always done by the shop i guess when i got my oil changes. but now that i change my own oil...

·
Registered
381 Posts
^^ haha maybe i should just pour top shelf vodka in there "no officer it's not me it's my car it needs it, really!"
Haha funny haha I like the reply +1

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use Rain -X ( it is orange in color ,comes in a gallon bottle) washer fluid , it say good for -25 deg F . Never had a problem with it for NYC winters and also it is excellent for Florida thunderstorms. Florida has some nasty thunderstorms, but this stuff beads the water right off the glass . Prestone sucks! Oh, Rain-X bug sucks too....

·
Registered
254 Posts
rain x definitely. water rolls down and is decent at cleaning

·
Registered
609 Posts
I dunno if Saturn dealerships still sell it, but they used to just add an 8oz bottle of methanol (or something ?) to a tank of water and it worked great. I haven't tried to get it for several years so I don't know if they sell it. I usually use a generic washer fluid, nothing fancy .

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
spring/summer/fall, I use the Green RV washer fluid. I do mix it with water, since I like to conserve my fluid. I use it a lot during the summer, because of the sun glare and road dust.
winter, I to use the pink stuff with Anti-Freeze in it. I use the full strength, no dilluting. It gets cold here in the morning and at nite. I dont like my wipers to stick to the windsheild. ANd I do go snowboarding in the mounting and get a lot of road grime from vehicles in front of me.

I dont know the exact names, but I just go buy it as I know what I am looking for. Label that is. ;)

Good luck on your purchase. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Info. on RainX. If you use RainX washer fluid, its recommended to use the RainX wipe on windshield solution.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts