Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come it is only that you can (before opening any doors) roll down the driver's window and not any other ones. Seems sorta pointless. Like i ride with either 2 or 4 windows down and say i forget, i have to put the key in the ignition to roll the others up.

I know in cars like the acuras and other, you can roll up and down all four after the car is turned off.....how come lexus only did the one??

·
8,849 Posts
I'm not really sure why they did it this way. It could've been a little design issue, as an extra timer would need to be added to keep the other windows powered up.

P.S.
Sunroof also operates the same way.

·
Registered
935 Posts
IS300Sam said:
How come it is only that you can (before opening any doors) roll down the driver's window and not any other ones. Seems sorta pointless. Like i ride with either 2 or 4 windows down and say i forget, i have to put the key in the ignition to roll the others up.

I know in cars like the acuras and other, you can roll up and down all four after the car is turned off.....how come lexus only did the one??
I wish Lexus would allow the 30 second, or maybe even a minute's time to roll up window whether or not the doors have been opened. When I have passengers they inevitably open the door before I finish closing the sunroof and rolling up the windows, forcing me to put the key back in. Annoying. My wife's Sienna is the same way. What does Toyota think it's accomplishing by overriding this when a door is opened I wonder?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
It's called saving money. Let's say there are 250,000 cars that could have it but don't. Figure a cost of $25 (just a random number) @ 250,000 is a savings of $6,250,000 dollars. Yes adding a part for $xxx amount of money will not affect 1 car but over 1,000,000 cars that's some huge savings that goes back to the company.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats like saying what if they raised the car 100 dollars in price.....over 1 million cars yeah thad be a lot of extra money to the company, and the consumer probably wouldnt mind it at all.....so that shouldnt be a good reason to do that.....in my opinion

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
You would be surprised what a $100 increase would do to sales of a car. Let's say the car is $100 more that might dissuade xxx amount of people who might have gotten the car as opposed to a competitor's car. You might think wtf it's 100 freakin dollars. Some other person who was looking at the car would be like oh well, let's go and see XXX brand car that is $100 less than this car. There are tons of market surveys & computer analysis that are done by car companies when they price out their cars (MSRP price that is). Let's say an increase in $100 causes them to lose xxx amount of car sales in a year. Take that into effect with the increase in production cost and sometimes it is better to leave some things off even if it's wanted. I doubt there was a high demand for the window function, unlike the armrest which almost every 2001 complained about.

Let's say they do add the window option to the current car before it's changed out, that means adding a new process to the line at the plant. Now instead of getting the car out in xxx amount of time, it increases by 10 minutes to get off the line in showroom condition. That added time is more money. Toyota probably figured that by adding xxx options the total cost would increase by xxx amount and with the increase in price sales would drop by xxx amount. Drop in sales coupled with added cost at production could cause management to say "We would lose $XXX amount of money and it's not worth it."

So, to offset the $$ that they might potentially lose, a company that added the $100 item could have to charge $500-1000 to recoupe the costs now based on market research. We are thinking of 1 car only when we say WTF is wrong with Lexus for not giving me this or that. If the car was a hot seller I wouldn't doubt that they would add it in to the car because the # of sales would cover the cost. But IS300 sales are dropping faster than a stone in water and I doubt Lexus will be adding anything until 2005 with the redesign.

·
Registered
935 Posts
DL said:
It's called saving money. Let's say there are 250,000 cars that could have it but don't. Figure a cost of $25 (just a random number) @ 250,000 is a savings of $6,250,000 dollars. Yes adding a part for $xxx amount of money will not affect 1 car but over 1,000,000 cars that's some huge savings that goes back to the company.
Why would defeating the door opening window override require a new part? Seems to me that all it's take would be a reprogramming of the logic governing the system. Heck, it might even be cheaper if it were totally timer controlled. There would be no need for wires, switch or sensor (however it's done) to detect when the door has been opened. Seems to me like it'd be a simpler approach than what is currently done.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't agree with the "$100 difference" argument from the buyer's perspective, because at such a high price range (talking 33-35K here) $100 means absolute shit to any car buyer. There isn't another car "within $100" that can compare to an IS300 and can't be bargained out of the price.

-ELmO

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Does anybody have the wiring diagram for the windows?

It might be as simple as putting in a jumper from the driver's side window fuse to the others ... If this works it could be the next "fog mod" :lol:

do this at your own risk, I am not even remotely qualified to suggest anyone do this

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i hate how the window lock function works....
it disables all the windows except the drivers...and when the driver wants to lower or higher the window, driver needs to hit that button again...

my other cars just disable the passengers control of the window...not the drivers

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
elmalloc said:
I don't agree with the "$100 difference" argument from the buyer's perspective, because at such a high price range (talking 33-35K here) $100 means absolute sh*t to any car buyer. There isn't another car "within $100" that can compare to an IS300 and can't be bargained out of the price.

-ELmO
You my friend have never worked in a position as sales or finance. Trust me, $100 can make a difference, there are some people out there that go and look for xxx price and if you don't come done they won't buy the car. I've seen deals for $40K cars that didn't go cuz the dealer would not go down another $100 bucks. $30K nowadays is not a high price car. $30K is about the norm for the low end cheap luxury cars now a days, ie the poor mans luxury car etc... There are 400,000,000 (based on back in the days numbers, lol) give or take people in the US, let's say 150,000,000 are car buyers. Say Lexus captures only 30,000 of those buyers a year. Let's say the price was dropped by $100, maybe they can get 31,000 buyers or so now. Now raise the price by $100 and you might sell only 29,000 cars. a swing of 1,000 cars at retail say $28K is $28,000,000 dollars that they can gain or lose.

I know it's kinda hard to look at it from a company stand point when you're only the worker but if you know anything about running a business you will find that large companies (small companies have to bend over for the customer more cuz they can't compete on sales volume) do some things that the average joe just scratches their heads and say it was only 10 cents why not include it. Cuz my friend that 10 cents could save millions. And money is the bottom line. Like I said if the car was a hot seller then this would be a mute point cuz Lexus would keep adding on what the customers wanted cuz they are making it back in volume. But as we all know the IS300 sales are like a bad trip for Lexus right now losing out to Infiniti and Acura and that is why we bitch and complain that Lexus isn't doing shit for our car.

Remember the TRD supercharger and such. All the updates were made in the 2002 year only (armrest, dimming mirror with the compass, blacked out tails, etc...) 2003 saw little changes and 2004 saw almost no changes due in part to the 2005 being a new design. Remember look at it from a money standpoint and not a ME standpoint and you might understand some of the crap these big companies pull, er I mean do.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Why can't you people just park the car, close all the windows, roof, and whatever else you want to do electronically, and then turn the key off? Seems easier than bitching to me.

·
Registered
29,484 Posts
This was annoyance factor number one, especially since the 98' Camry I traded in for my IS300 allowed you to close all windows and the sunroof, so you would kinda figure it would be the same.

·
8,849 Posts
IS JOE said:
Does anybody have the wiring diagram for the windows?

It might be as simple as putting in a jumper from the driver's side window fuse to the others ... If this works it could be the next "fog mod" :lol:

do this at your own risk, I am not even remotely qualified to suggest anyone do this
The driver side window and the other 3 windows operate differently (all of the driverside controls are done inside of the door).
However, it is possible to rewire windows fuse to have always-on power.
You can get wiring digrams here.
Have fun. If you have questions, feel free to ask, as I have done some research on the windows module side.

P.S.
There is also a child-lock relay that turns on when the car is on. It would have to be shorted-out in order for the mod to work, as you do not want to always power-up the relay.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thanks for the info vlad_a! I probably won't be doing this tho since I've never really been bothered by it. Any other takers?

I'm waiting for luxury motorworks to finish their 4 window auto up module though :chill:

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
This too was a bit annoying to me but I just added all window control (up/down) and bam, not an issue. I just get out of the car and press a button. :wink:

Small features like these make a difference especially when you're used to them. I was able to power my windows in my 97 Accord as well. Hell, in my 03' Accord, I can put the windows down w/my remote.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.