Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently decided to have my windows tinted like a lot of fellow is'ers. I went to this place called 3M Trimline. They do tinting and clearbra's as well as graphic logos, etc. If any of you fellow Calgarians or anyone planning to get any tinting done in calgary, I suggest not this place. Worst customer service ever. They'll be happy to take your money, but once its done. Thats it. So supposidly the guy that did it, is the best in the world (Hard to believe..BS) And he said he couldn'y do a better job that what he had done, along with anyone else who even tryed.

First things first, when I got the car back there was water in the door handles (about 1 cm) and they had window tinting scraps left under the seat. Also I think they either spilled a shit load of water on my back seat or decided to leave a wet cloth on it all day. My leather is now wrinkled to shit. Now i gotta take the car back to lexus for warrenty. Overall im not very happy. I was wonder if any of you who have got tinting done to the back window if it ever looked as bad as this.

Thanks for any help on this!

Kevin

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
If you are talking about the bump things all the way around, that is perfectly normal for our cars. Your's doesn't look all that bad, IMO.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
i dont mean to burst your bubble...but for the most part....that area on the rear is extremely difficult to tint perfectly...the best you can do is get back there yourself and get a credit card and fill in the spaces yourself...

and the water holes will dry eventually...give it a few weeks....if your that impatient....take a needle and pop them and then credit card over them....

but for that back window....thats how that type of area ALWAYS looks when tinted...

your tint job honestly looks good..

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im talking about the gaps between. I know the defrosters in the window will look white. Its the part thats not white that is the problem.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
yea, thats a pretty normal look...i've looked around and i've seen all the IS300's tint like that. it happens because obviously that our defroster lines are really thick. But yea, thats what mine looks like too...u get use to it after awhile unless you are a perfectionist.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that sucks to hear. Maybe im too much of a perfectionist then.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
ScarecroW said:
Im talking about the gaps between. I know the defrosters in the window will look white. Its the part thats not white that is the problem.

thanks.
\i dont get it...other than the dots around the edge of the window, whats wrong with them...i dont see it...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Maybe the photo doesn't do it justice but it looks ok to me. You know you do have to give it about a month or so to cure right? It should look fine next month sometime.

That said, they should have cleaned up you car and fessed up to the water damage done.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
You can take it back to the ppl that did the tint and point out your concern, the go from there. ;)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took it back to them already. I told them about the seat but they denied that. Im the only one that sits in the car and it wasn't like that before i took it to them. The Water in the door handles they said "It water, who cares, its not gonna hurt anything" To me thats poor workmanship as well and customer care.

They wont do anything under warrenty unless is has hair in it, splitting, huge bubbles..ect.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have done some tinting in the past. Those dots, or "Dot Matrix" as it is commonly called. Is next to impossible to fill in.

Sorry to tell you, but its not gonna get any better than what you have. I think it looks fine.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
in the last pic....it looks exactly how my tint looks.....its filled in some spots and white in some spots....

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
your tint seems fine.

Next time please shrink the gigantic pictures to a manageable size before clogging everyone's bandwidth!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
The tint looks good... the water spots will dry with time. But I do agree with you that they should have cleaned their mess after the job... I wouldn't go back there.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Wow that kinda sucks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sorry to hear you had such bad luck with these idiot installers. I have had numerous vehicles tinted and the bottom line you have to be like a hawk on them when they are installing the tint. Although it may be difficult to get the tint to stick in the area where the "dots" are it is not impossible. It just takes a patient installer and a heat gun to make sure the tint molds and seats properly around those areas.

As for the water on in the door handles, a good install place will cover up the side panels of your door so that it doesn't look like Niagra falls just poored through your vehicle. If you don't think your shop will do it, you can get some painter's plastic throw covering at home depot or any type of plastic and tape it down with some 3m blue masking tape prior to taking your car to the shop.

Bottom line is, the losers installing your tint do not care as much about your ride as you do, so unfortunately you will have to take additional steps to protect your vehicle, since they are so obtuse and careless.

As for the leather, it might be difficult to get the dealer to cover the water damage under warranty. You might want to try some leather conditioner or other leather care products to get the "oils" back into the leather.

Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
hmm it looks alright i guess, i mean i have those gaps of "black" spaces but they arent as large. but then again if i wanted it redone the shop here in hawaii has a great reputation with customer service and a lifetime warranty so they would redo it. but from the other ones ive seen on the road here in hawaii, urs seems to look a lot better. =)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts