Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, in every car / truck I've ever owned I've always tinted the windows. That being said my last three vehicles were black, so this is my first white vehicle ever. I already have an appointment to tint all the windows this Saturday. My IS is an interesting combination of white exterior and black interior. I'm going to keep things legal for Washington, which means 35% all around (including the driver & passenger side windows) and was quoted $325 for the whole job by a local shop I know and trust.

Questions:
This is my first "white" car I've ever owned. Does tinting windows on a white car look bad? Note this is just standard carbon tint, nothing metallic or reflective
does anyone have any pictures of their IS with the windows tinted? If so please post and state what % was done.
Is $325 a bad deal? I haven't tinted windows in a vehicle in 4 years. The guy I know who does it said Lexus's are a pain to tint, tight seals & whatnot.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
i got mine done all around minus the windshield for $180...
20%

its dark enough that people cant recognize me. tint on a whie car looks good.

Reactions: MrGregski

·
Registered
3 Posts
My previous 2 cars i got 35% all around the 1st one, 20% all around the second time.... and it was $150.. with lifetime warranty.. $325 seems a little steep.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sup guys, newbie here, will post pics of my IS250 soon.

i got mine tinted all around 20% for about $200. anything more than $300 is a bit pricy. yeah it's a bitch to tint the IS windows though. they had to take out the front inside panels to put it in bc of the speakers and the seals are tight as hell.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try and shop around. So does anyone think tinting a white car would look lame?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice chrisridebike8! I agree that looks very nice. Little darker than I'm going to go, but still it gives me a good feeling going into it. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Tint looks good on all cars imo. I had my 08 IS250 tinted right after I got it but I don't have any pics right now to post up. Maybe I'll try to find a decent one after I get home if you want to see the 2IS with tint.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for the feedback! Only been on here a couple days, but this seems to be a very cool forum with a lot of good info :)

So I'm going through with this and can certainly post up some before / after pictures if you guys want

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That looks pretty sick decon. Even know I had 20% with past vehicles, I'd prefer to keep this street legal, which for the state of WA is 35% all around.

·
Registered
567 Posts
i see one on our airfield with about 30 35% and it looks good. i got all mine done for about 280

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well another reason I'm being told it's more expensive is because he's going to use Sun-tech carbon tint. Supposedly that film is a little more expensive and has no metal in it as to not conflict with the nav system. I trust the work will be done well, so I may just stick with him. Besides, a few others I've called in the area were around the same amount, so...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used Sun-tek carbon series on my is250 and love it. Sun-tek is one of the more expensive window films on the market. I did the tint job myself and found that it shrink forms to the windows a lot better than most films to get the one-piece back window rather than in pieces. I'm a beginner tinter and found that compared to most its a lot better quality. You get what you pay for! I'm from Vermont and tinting the 2 fronts is illegal and around here it cost anywheres from $300-$500 just for the back windows. As for a white car it will look good and will protect the interior from the sun. Good investment! IMO

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great feedback guys. Despite a little higher cost, I'm feeling pretty good about this and will post some before / after pics. Thanks again!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think tint looks awesome on white. My wifes IS is Red....but I will post pics when I get home today. By the way...here in KY it cost me $140 for the 5 windows....no windshield strip on a Lexus please.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts