Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
16,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
26229Aside from bemoaning how the Lexus IS morphed from unique, sporty, inline six-powered styling innovator that begat Altezza taillights and chronograph-style instrumentation into an elegant and still sporty but larger and heavier, less creatively-styled and more mass market-appealing sedan, a number of you seriously miss the option of an update on the <A HREF="http://my.is/forums/f42/lexus-is300-sportcross-unintentional-exotic-404631/">rarer-than-a-Bentley</A> IS300 SportCross hatchback-cum-wagon. <A HREF="http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/248136/">A brief write-up from the United Kingdom's Autocar magazine</A>, however, informs us that "Lexus is likely to introduce an estate variant on the next generation of its Lexus IS...while the original model did offer an estate variant, called SportCross, the current car - introduced in 2005 - has never been available in a wagon. Lexus insiders now admit that this policy has hurt sales of the car in Europe, where it must face the 3-series Touring and A4 Avant." That didn't stop <A HREF="http://forum.autovisie.nl/viewtopic.php?t=1554">a creative Dutch artist by the name of Theo</A> from imagining what one would look like, though, and his design is featured at the top of our story.

This author is not particularly surprised by this rumor, since, back in <A HREF="http://my.is/forums/f41/lexus-c-premium-upmarket-small-car-gets-name-ct-200h-394367/">July 2009</A> we wrote that "going out on a limb here, don't be too surprised if the 3rd-generation Lexus IS sees an IS T spiritual successor to the SportCross in addition to IS sedan and IS C (hopefully this time as fixed-roof coupe as well as convertible) variants."

The remainder of the Autocar article needs to be taken with a grain (or two) of salt, however. Talk of making the 3rd-generation Lexus IS hybrid-only is highly unlikely and, if it comes to pass, would be, at most, a Europe-only thing, given that the UK already offers only the hybrid versions of the RX, GS and LS lines. Sure, we can expect a hybrid ISh 3rd-gen variant in North America and in most major markets, but don't expect the IS to morph into a hybrid-only line à la HS and CT.

Also iffy is their claim that "a third edition is due in 2011" as a 2012 model year intro. While this would follow recent Lexus 6-year cycles between major changes, <A HREF="http://my.is/forums/f41/automotive-news-future-predictions-lexus-models-2009-edition-397186/">other published reports</A> claim that the 2nd-generation Lexus IS sedan will be on a 7-year cycle. This would certainly help manage the unwieldly 3½+ calendar year (and 4 model year) interval between the launch of the current IS sedan and that of its IS C retractable-hardtop convertible counterpart. Also, the new year has brought unexpected second front end, taillight and interior freshenings/facelifts for the current 3rd-generations of Toyota's Avalon and RAV4. This may well be the pattern that the current Lexus IS follows. In other words, if the 2011 model year sees yet another round of front end, taillight and interior changes to the current IS akin to those of the <A HREF="http://my.is/forums/f41/most-detailed-list-yet-changes-2009-lexus-updated-6-sep-08-a-369932/">2009 model year</A>, then it's safe to say that the 3rd-generation Lexus IS sedan will debut as a 2013 model year intro, with the other body styles following at publicly unknown intervals. If, on the other hand, the 2011 Lexus IS emerges virtually unchanged versus the 2010, then the 6-year cycle is a safe bet. We'll be watching...

Attachments

· Registered
5,241 Posts
I am all for it. I'll bet there's a good chance it will only be offered overseas.

· Premium Member
16,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am all for it. I'll bet there's a good chance it will only be offered overseas.
I'm more optimistic that it will be offered here in North America than you or Autoblog are. Sure, Mercedes stopped offering the C-Class wagon here and BMW is widely expected not to send over its next-gen (F11?) 5-Series Touring. Counter to that, though, you've got the Audi A4 Avant, BMW 3-Series Touring, Cadillac CTS Sportwagon (plus smaller upcoming Caddy ATS expected to offer a wagon as well), Acura TSX Sportwagon launching next month and, arguably, Infiniti EX35 (which bears the Nissan Skyline Crossover moniker in Japan) all not only sold here but targeting the potential Lexus IS wagon.

Reactions: sway162

· Registered
186 Posts
I saw the Autoblog post, as well, and I'm hopeful it will be offered Stateside, but I'll believe it when I see it. We always get shafted on the attractive wagons.

· Premium Member
3,338 Posts
an IS350 SportCross or whatever you wanna call it, wouldn't sell here at all. It would be a complete flop. Did they miss out on some sales in Europe by not offering one? Maybe. But is that enough reason alone to make a car that you are only going to sell like 1,000 of per year?

· Premium Member
16,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
an IS350 SportCross or whatever you wanna call it, wouldn't sell here at all. It would be a complete flop. Did they miss out on some sales in Europe by not offering one? Maybe. But is that enough reason alone to make a car that you are only going to sell like 1,000 of per year?
Cadillac's CTS Sportwagon was conceived with Europe in mind, and I've actually read that they expect to sell more of them over there than here in the U.S. Yet, Cadillac went ahead and built it and offered it here. By one account, it's actually exceeding their sales expectations here in the U.S. Further, it seems they'll reveal a CTS-V Sportwagon at the New York Auto Show next month.

My point is, if they're going to make it for Europe anyway, it's not a huge issue for Lexus to send a few wagons over...

· Administrator
948 Posts

Lexus is looking to bring back the IS SportCross – at least in Europe. The wagon body style of the original IS300 was a massive flop in North America, causing Lexus to eliminate the oddly shaped five-door from its product plans when it came around to building the second generation of cars.

With North Americans being early adopters of Lexus vehicles, Toyota's luxury arm is now looking to make more of a push in Europe as its models finally start to become more popular there. Lexus now admits that its decision to drop a wagon model most likely slowed sales and the growth of the brand in a market where wagons are seen as the functional yet cool alternative to boring sedans.

As a result, Lexus is now looking to bring back the IS wagon for the third-generation model, due out soon. And according to a report by AutoCar, the wagon is likely only to be sold only as a hybrid (which sounds strange to us). This model would then help Lexus compete more strongly with the popular BMW 3 Series, Audi A4 and Mercedes C-Class wagons.

There's no word about the wagon returning to North America and while the segment does seem to be growing with the Cadillac CTS SportWagon on sale now and the Acura TSX Sport Wagon coming, it's still not clear if the U.S. market will accept luxury wagons in numbers significant enough for Lexus to bring the SportCross back to our shores.

IS-F SportCross anyone?

More: Report: Next-Gen Lexus IS to Include Wagon Bodystyle on AutoGuide.com

· Premium Member
665 Posts
2012 Lexus IS Wagon pictures

From Vince Burlapp
Sunday, March 21, 2010
2012 Lexus IS Wagon

The next generation IS will again get a wagon version.
I really liked the SportCross version of the previous generation. I guess Lexus does think "wagons are back", sort of.
Or at least, they might be in a couple of years.
it would also help the IS in Europe where wagons have always been a popular choice.

These pictures don't show us much. But they do prove the existence of a wagon for the next generation.
There are also rumors about the next IS to offer Hybrid only engines. At least in the US.

· Registered
1,125 Posts
God, it looks like a freaking boring soccer mom station wagon. Such a yawn fest. I wish car companies these days would stop wasting this planet's precious natural resources to build such utter waste of metal, plastic, and cows!

Thats just my two cents.

· Premium Member
16,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
God, it looks like a freaking boring soccer mom station wagon. Such a yawn fest. I wish car companies these days would stop wasting this planet's precious natural resources to build such utter waste of metal, plastic, and cows!

Thats just my two cents.
I wouldn't get so bent out of shape over what you're seeing. The rendering at the top of this thread is, as I clearly stated, what "a creative Dutch artist by the name of Theo imagines one would look like". It's clearly a photoshop of a 2nd-gen IS, and a wagon would be an offshoot of the unrevealed 3rd-gen. The other one further down is what one Vince Burlapp believes might be a mule or clay model or something of a 3rd-gen IS wagon, a shaky claim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.