Lexus IS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will the JDM Altezza Original Grille affect my warranty?

1K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  wjbertrand 
#1 ·
My bumper to bumper warranty or any other warranty @ all? Reason why I ask people is when I installed my grille, my dad flipped out and had a total fit he's saying that it will void the warranty. I'm sorry for asking such a stupid question, but my dad is kinda a f.o.b so he wouldn't understand anything. Thanks

-Ringo

#2 ·
There's no chance in hell, tell dad he is incorrect and might want to read the warranty if he is so inclined. For my dealer atleast, the only way something aftermarket voids the warranty is if it has caused a problem with the car such a suspension upgrade hurting an A-arm (for instance).

Tell dad to chill out. :wink:

#3 ·
naw man...youll be fine doing that. It is easy to install and everything so if it made your dad happy you could swap it back out when you took your car in....no need to though!

#8 ·
IMPRIMIS said:
Actually there is also a US law mandating that if you have to take the car for warrenty work and they trip out over the JDM parts, that they can not void a warrenty on the car

yea the law also says that the dealer has to prove that your aftermarket part caused whatever part to fail....they arent going to risk a lawsuit....

#10 ·
theazian said:
IMPRIMIS said:
Actually there is also a US law mandating that if you have to take the car for warrenty work and they trip out over the JDM parts, that they can not void a warrenty on the car

yea the law also says that the dealer has to prove that your aftermarket part caused whatever part to fail....they arent going to risk a lawsuit....
yup...so if your tranny breaks, they cant refuse warranty service b/c you have a Grille.

Where is that SEMA thing???

#11 ·
Technically it can void the warranty if, say, the grill falls apart and jams the radiator fan, causing your engine to overheat and explode :roll:

But they'd have to prove it.

Mods: can we put info from the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act into the sticky or faq? There are a lot of warranty questions lately.

Basically, if the dealer wants to void your warranty, they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the damage. The burden is on them.

#12 ·
AltezzaBoy03 said:
i remember reading it specifically on the warranty booklet...
ill look for the pages tomorrow...and ill type it up verbatim
Thanks, 'cause I have no clue where my booklet is, I took it out of my glovebox a long time ago. I did read the warrenties at one time and have asked questions here and at the dealer about this stuff before.

So, as some others have mentioned...technicaly yes...realisticaly no.

#17 ·
WhiteLex03 said:
My bumper to bumper warranty or any other warranty @ all? Reason why I ask people is when I installed my grille, my dad flipped out and had a total fit he's saying that it will void the warranty. I'm sorry for asking such a stupid question, but my dad is kinda a f.o.b so he wouldn't understand anything. Thanks

-Ringo
Yes the J.D.M grill has a much more limited airflow than the stock grill. So you will not get as much air to the radiator. And your engine will overheat. And your whole car could catch fire. And your Dad will say, "Neener, neener, neener!" to you. Then you will feel awful.

Bottom line: Stick to the stock.

Either your Dad is a control freak or maybe he is paying for the car and doesn't want you to f*ck with it.

#18 ·
CRB said:
Yes the J.D.M grill has a much more limited airflow than the stock grill. So you will not get as much air to the radiator. And your engine will overheat. And your whole car could catch fire. And your Dad will say, "Neener, neener, neener!" to you. Then you will feel awful.
well hmm, i guess lexus gotcha there haha....but it still doesnt make sense....the jdm altezza is the same car, so do they overheat all the time in japan?? heh

my 2 cents....1) it really depends on the dealer/service dept....some are dicks, and some arent....and dont forget, they cant just void your warranty like that.....they have to prove that whatever malfunctioned was the result of the grill

2) and like IS300Sam said, its an easy mod to swap out, so if you are really worried, just swap it out before services.....

#19 ·
"your going to get own by your asian dad because he is always right and you failed him so he will send you back to asia"

the altezza grille limits the airflow by almost 80%
the altezza in japan has a more open flow grille even though its the same design.
this is how jdm makes money 8) they do pos stuff for the american losers and they laugh at us HAHA :D and take our money away.

btw: boring post! :boring:

#21 ·
WhiteLex03 said:

-Ringo
Yeah man from now on you are banished from Lexus dealers and must have all future warrantee work done at Toyota dealers! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.