Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm thinking of upgrading the stock speaker setup this spring and wondering if I can get away with only replacing the fronts with components and just disconnect the rear-deck speakers.

I want to avoid taking too much space in the trunk so I want to grab some compact 4 channel amp to run the front components and bridge the remaining two channels for a sub. I need to keep the ski-pass open so the amp has to fit on the side. I might pickup one of those DD1508 8" subs since that would take very little space and still sound good.

Opinions?

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
What components are you getting? Seal up your doors with deadener and they will surprise the hell out of you, I promise. I ran only front components for about 6 months and was very happy with it. My rear speakers were fine and I could have hooked them up the the amp but I chose to keep them off because it sounded better.

If your looking for a solid 4 channel amp I have my PPI up for sale

·
Registered
365 Posts
I say you cop ItalynStylion's amp and disconnect the rears...I had only the fronts and my substage running for a little bit too...sounded great!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok cool, I think I will try just doing the fronts and a sub and see how I like it.

I'm looking for nice clear, crisp sounds and tight bass ..not too boomy, I want SQ

Not sure about which components I'll go with but I want something nice, I won't cheap out of them.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Ok cool, I think I will try just doing the fronts and a sub and see how I like it.

I'm looking for nice clear, crisp sounds and tight bass ..not too boomy, I want SQ

Not sure about which components I'll go with but I want something nice, I won't cheap out of them.
Good, a nice set of components is the best thing you can do for your system. Make sure you spend some good money on deadener. It's equally important.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
Nope, It will sound way better!!!!! Rears are only needed for movies and the like. Music is Stereo and the stage should be in front of you. Rears can be beneficial if set up correctly, but attenuation and time alignment are needed for a rear fill only affect. Down 9- to 12 db and NO highs, just mids IMHO.

Reactions: mrmonster

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
No, I definitely would not recommend sacrificing full audio surround for just a good set of front components.

The stock audio setup is capable of handling a more powerful, up-to-date amp that can provide higher consistent power.

My recommendations?
1. Save your money and do it right, from the beginning. Buy an entire setup for highs first, save your money for a bit, and buy quality bass.
2. Get sound deadener, a good amp for your current factory speakers, and a good subwoofer setup.

·
Registered
50 Posts
no you defiantely want the rears too just to fill in the sound. the rears dont have to be anything great just something to fill in the sound

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm ok now I'm getting conflicting reports :)

Money really isn't an issue, I can buy both rear and fronts but I don't want a huge amp taking half my trunk. I want something small that I can mount vertically next to the ski-pass, there are some nice compact 4ch amps. Then, tuck-in a small sub somewhere in there, I was under the impression that a single 8" DD1508 should be enough for my needs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I personally enjoy having the rears in there. I don't have a lot of volume coming out of them, just mid range and they are low but if I turn them off, it doesn't sound right to me.

I am using all Rockford speakers and amps and everything is good quality, it just sounds better to me to have some rear fill.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
mrmonster, believe me...I know, I've been there doing what you're dong. Ditch the rears and just get a GREAT front stage. If it means anything to you; after I deadened my doors and installed my Focals there was more bass than the stock system ever had. I ran the stock 6x9's off the PPI amp I had for a while. Since the 6x9's are 2 ohm they were getting 150RMS and the Focals were only getting 75 because they are 4 ohm. I couldn't even hear the 6x9's because the Focals were louder and hit way harder.

Ditch them....you will thank me.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
You can't really put anything over the sub though since it's unprotected. Though you have most of the space that sort of limits how you can USE the space.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i haul all kinds of stuff in my trunk over the speaker.... that grill is strong... before my fiberglass spare tire box, i had a 1.75 cubic feet vented box, that took up the entire trunk almost, and man this is the way to go! it sounds great, and it's strong enough to pile stuff on it... just my opinion though!

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
I know it would probably be fine but I would still be scared to put anything on top of it. If it was a mesh grill that covered the whole thing it would be more comforting though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ya... i may do that.... make a wooden box to cover it... with sum small holes in it for the air movement that fits over the top... maybe that would be better... but so far i have just put a towel over it...

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting setup but ya what if a I wona go camping and fill up my trunk?

Do you still have a spare under there?

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
Not my field...but I have heard, if you were in a concert, the vocals comes from the front, and the bass is from the back.

If money is no issue, try to go the route of components in the front and sub in the rear. If it doesnt satisfy your needs. Then buy rear speakers. Just my input. But then, if you have passengers in the back seats. Well, they will be deprived. Maybe thats why they ahve rear speakers, for them back seat drivers. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts