Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i remember when i first got my car i was able to chirp the tires getting into 2nd. now that i have 6000 miles it doesnt work anymore. ive heard resetting the ecu will make it faster but does anyone wanna recommend doing somthing else?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I would say resetting your ECU doesnt necessarily make the car faster but again worth a try. Also i find that the IS has a very noticible gain in power if its cold especially if you are running some kind of high flow intake. COuld just be the weather....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure about the IS300 ECU, but the 350Z has an intelligence program which learns modifications over 6-9 start up's, and adjusts itself to return the car to the orginal power. If the IS300 does have the intelligence program, resetting your ECU will make a slight difference, but I only recommend it if you are planning to race, or go to a car show before. Resetting it will cause the ECU to re-learn all the modifications. Nothing to lose to try it, except all your pre-set radio stations and clock though. Give it a try.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Resetting the ecu doesn't actually make your car faster by itself, the learning program built in the ecu will attempt to learn your driving habits for the next 500 or so miles (maybe less, maybe more) and recalibrate tuning details ( I say tuning details because the specific actions it takes, be it adjustments to fuel, air etc. specifically is beyond the scope of my knowledge.) to suit your driving style.

So if you reset the ECU and drive with a top speed of 55mph, and never rev the engine over 3k rpm chances are the ecu will not make your car faster because it will "tune" itself to your "conservative" driving style.

But if you are the heavy footed, speed freak like a few of us are, and you reset the ecu and drive your car hard for 500 or so miles, your ecu will tune itself to your full throttle, balls to the walls style and end up being faster than the "conservative" one.

Resetting the ECU, at least been helpful in getting your IS to understand when you add bolt on type mods to your car. For example resetting your ecu after installing intakes and exhausts and even headers may help your car learn to recalibrate itself to these mods.

Hope it helps, if I'm wrong...sue me, i'm no mechanic ...just an enthusiast trying to help out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
cmondamnit said:
Resetting the ecu doesn't actually make your car faster by itself, the learning program built in the ecu will attempt to learn your driving habits for the next 500 or so miles (maybe less, maybe more) and recalibrate tuning details ( I say tuning details because the specific actions it takes, be it adjustments to fuel, air etc. specifically is beyond the scope of my knowledge.) to suit your driving style.

So if you reset the ECU and drive with a top speed of 55mph, and never rev the engine over 3k rpm chances are the ecu will not make your car faster because it will "tune" itself to your "conservative" driving style.

But if you are the heavy footed, speed freak like a few of us are, and you reset the ecu and drive your car hard for 500 or so miles, your ecu will tune itself to your full throttle, balls to the walls style and end up being faster than the "conservative" one.

Resetting the ECU, at least been helpful in getting your IS to understand when you add bolt on type mods to your car. For example resetting your ecu after installing intakes and exhausts and even headers may help your car learn to recalibrate itself to these mods.

Hope it helps, if I'm wrong...sue me, i'm no mechanic ...just an enthusiast trying to help out.
Well put

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
So in any case, if you're breaking in the car for the 1000 miles, does the system dink of you as a "conserative" driver?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
reset it...it'll give you more HP.

Proven at the last dyno I went to. I gained about 10rwhp right after a reset.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I just installed my PLP Silent Flow intake, and reset the ECU per the instructions. I notice a little power gain, but then again - I didn't drive it before resetting it either. I hear it does help though. It can't hurt to pull the battery cable, as quick as it is. Think of it as HP for free. You definately won't LOSE any power, unless you drive like a grandma while the ECU is learning the new A/F data :shame:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts