Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boston IS300 owners, I'm looking for your input.

Here's the scoop: I'm moving to Boston (Cambridge area) for a couple of years to go to grad school. I need to decide if I should bring my IS300 or not.

On the one hand it would be great to have a car to drive around in when I'm not studying.

On the other hand, a friend of mine says that the Boston roads have huge pot holes, and that I'll definitely end up dinging the rims. Basically he says the roads suck; I've never driven in Boston so I just don't know.

What do you guys think--is my friend over-reacting, or should I think twice before driving on the roads of Boston? Boston is a great town, and the T seems really convenient, so I don't *have* to have a car, per se, but seems like it'd be nice.

Also, how many people drive through the winter, vs. garaging the car?

thanks,

H.

·
11,061 Posts
Never been to Boston...but better get some snow tires!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
boston roads do suck... your friend was not exaggerating at all..they suck.. but to go as far as not bring your IS.. you are crazy.. there are people with 911 turbos with 19's on them and slammed to the ground.. bmw's are like civics over there.. everyone has rims...and i would say the average is 18's.. you just need to drive more carefully, more attentive.. learn the roads that you wil be traveling often and life will become easier and easier. and when you're driving in areas not so familiar, go slow.. !!! trust me.. if you go out there..you will WANT YOUR CAR WITH YOU.. there are tons of fixed up cars out there with rims and dropped.. and how could you just leave it behind.. i couldn't imagine leaving my IS away..... thousands of miles away... i have driven in Boston many times... just dont drive intoxicated or under the influence of any kind and you should be fine.. hope this helps with your decision.. btw.. talk to KEL3..he lives in boston or near... and has a solar yellow IS.. i believe he's gettin 19's too...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm from Randolph which is about 15 miles from Boston. The roads here are pretty bad, but I don't really have any problems. Like TicaLis300 said, learn the roads and life will be easier.

You may want to consider putting on all season or snow tires for the winter. There's no way I'm going to drive my IS next winter with 17" stock tires...

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am from California, however I went to Tuft's Dental located in Downtown Boston. As some of the other members have mentioned the roads are POOR. If you drive the IS, expect your 17's to be damaged, and your front end alignment to be off. Your better off leaving it in Washington and rent a car, use the "T" or cab it. The winters are harsh, when it snows, IT SNOWS!!!!!!!!!!! for days, roads are salted and wrecked, go figure why there so bad to begin with. Don't do it save yourself the heartache, and the hassle of finding parking.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
It's me Kel3 I live smack in the middle of the city I always drive on the roads they are bad but NY is worse my IS is lowered almost 2" with the HR's(19's soon) and I had no problems so far ride is pretty good too considering the hieght off the ground trust me bring your IS300 with you... you will regret it if you dont. there is nothing like summer or fall or spring in boston....the girlies are out. To bad I cant say the same for the Winter it sucks but with snow tires you will be fine. Ticalis is right bring your IS300 with you the "T" sucks I rode the "T" my whole life before I got my first car and it sucked.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I am from California, however I went to Tuft's Dental located in Downtown Boston. As some of the other members have mentioned the roads are POOR. If you drive the IS, expect your 17's to be damaged, and your front end alignment to be off. Your better off leaving it in Washington and rent a car, use the "T" or cab it. The winters are harsh, when it snows, IT SNOWS!!!!!!!!!!! for days, roads are salted and wrecked, go figure why there so bad to begin with. Don't do it save yourself the heartache, and the hassle of finding parking.

Dude how long have you been in Cali?? The roads are much better now trust me you must have lived in China town by tufts cause the roads there in that small area are bad and parking blows but outside of there it's not bad at all and unlesshking is gonna do 50 plus on a clearly messed up road I wouldnt worry.

Cheers!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm from Boston and I pretty much lived here all my life. I just bought my IS300 today! I've already put 100 miles on it.
The roads are bad, but not bad enough for you to leave it behind. My former car was a Honda Accord and it was dropped 2.5" and had 18" MHT Quans with Wings West body kit. I didn't have any problems even in the winter, because the main roads are well plowed. Just make sure you get snow tires for your IS if you plan to drive down secondary roads.
Just be cautious how you drive. Those potholes will creep up on you.
OUCH!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm from Boston and I pretty much lived here all my life. I just bought my IS300 today! I've already put 100 miles on it.
The roads are bad, but not bad enough for you to leave it behind. My former car was a Honda Accord and it was dropped 2.5" and had 18" MHT Quans with Wings West body kit. I didn't have any problems even in the winter, because the main roads are well plowed. Just make sure you get snow tires for your IS if you plan to drive down secondary roads.
OUCH!

·
Registered
611 Posts
OUCH!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to post it more than once...I'm new at this!

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I live near Boston, and the potholes are bad, but parking's a bigger concern than potholes. About the snow, Massachusetts clears the roads SO fast that it's only minor streets that ever seem to actually have snow on them. You could probably get by without snow tires, as long as you don't drive up north or in roads the plows don't reach. Can't drive while it's snowing either.
I have snow tires, but I live to the North.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have been to Boston several times, stayed in Wakefield for training. Roads are bad, but if I lived up there I would not not give up my IS300. Just be careful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks all for the info.

Survey says: I'll bring the IS300!! Reality is that I'll pay through the nose for parking (damn between that and rent I'll end up living in my car) and that I'll probably leave it in the garage for most of the winter. But you guys are right--I can learn to navigate the roads and avoid the potholes. And when the weather's nice, I'll be thanking you for your advice.

cheers,

H.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The potholes here in Boston aren't any worse than those in any other nothern city that gets a fair amount of snow. The local municipalities do their best to fill them in before they get too big. But by all means, get some snow tires. They make a world of difference.

You're right about parking...good luck trying to get an affordable spot!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry for the late reply but I just got the pics...

Hit this

Got this

I live in Boston and I work for the city of Boston and yes the holes are bad...this hole was in a rotary and I lost two rims and one tire, so I have 30 days to submit bill and pics to city hall and then wait about 6 to 8 months for the $ ...No I wouldnt leave your car behind...I would learn to dodge them...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the biggest thing you should fear while in Boston are the other drivers!! Of my many trips to the beautiful city the worst thing I have experienced are the overly aggressive and rude drivers. Oh and the stop signs at the end of on-ramps is a pretty cool idea too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts