Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I will be driving to Montreal and then Ottawa early next week and I was wondering is it still snowing in those areas with large amounts of snow left on the ground. Are both cities relatively well-plowed if it snows?

We were recently in the two large snow storms in the Washington DC area and were snowed in for a few days cause nothing was plowed. And even when we were able to get out of the driveway, the snow removal in the area was horrible such that there were boulder of snow in the middle of the highway and major roads.

what are your thoughts of the is300 with dedicated snow tires getting around town. Mainly sticking to the highways and larger streets. We have both driven in the snow, but not a RWD in the snow. So we are not sure how well the car will do.

Our options are to take my car (rsx) or her car for the trip. It wouldn't have been any question if she drove manual. So any thoughts would be appreciated. Just trying to get the perspective from any locals of the area.

Thank you.

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
It's fine in the winter with snow tires. As long as you don't try to put the car out of control (ie gas up really quick or go into a corner too fast), the car will behave itself.

Within cities, the roads are usually in pretty good condition within 24 hours of a snow storm. However, there may still be patches of ice (ie black ice), thus you should still execise caution. Between cities ... I'll defer to other forum members.

Reactions: chunktwo

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
Well ... we have to, or else we might call in the Army again ... ;)

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Montreal has the worst roads. Lots of pot holes, and crazy drivers that get on your ass and stick like glue till you move. They mostly drive Hyundai's and there is lots of bridges and lane closures, during rush hour. They have an extremly high car theft problem and very little english signage on the freeways.

I would rather drive in Winnipeg or Vancouver than in Montreal.

...however, its a fabulious city with great people, hot women, hospitality, dining and nightlife.

Take the good with the bad.

Because of the geography, snow storms are frequent, and dump a lot in a short period of time, without warning. Be prepared.

Digger08

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
Oh yeah ... in some parts of Montreal, you can't turn right on red lights. You'll know when you enter the area as there should be signs posted.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
I thought they changed that law?

Digger08

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
You could be right. I haven't been there in about a year.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Montreal has the worst roads. Lots of pot holes, and crazy drivers that get on your ass and stick like glue till you move. They mostly drive Hyundai's and there is lots of bridges and lane closures, during rush hour. They have an extremly high car theft problem and very little english signage on the freeways.

I would rather drive in Winnipeg or Vancouver than in Montreal.

...however, its a fabulious city with great people, hot women, hospitality, dining and nightlife.

Take the good with the bad.

Because of the geography, snow storms are frequent, and dump a lot in a short period of time, without warning. Be prepared.

Digger08
sounds just like new york city.... luckily i grew up in NYC so i am use to the obnoxious and careless drivers. We are only going to spend half a day or so there and then head to ottawa to see family. but thanks for the heads up.. ill keep my eyes open for the hot women... i mean on the crazy drivers.. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.