Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to 4 shops today on mission streets auto row in daly city....not one of them would even go near a lowered car to align the wheels....one said he could try it, but he said my car is too low and any damage he isnt liable for...i asked him if ANYWHERE would do it and he said good luck...

i keep hearing from everyone "you got your car lowered, you better get an alignment" haha welll where the heck does someone with a lowered car get one?

i know of people out here are slammed....if you guys got an alignment, where did you go?

thanks for the help guys...-jon

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^how much of a drop do you have and do you have a body kit at all?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
JAEohEN said:
^^how much of a drop do you have and do you have a body kit at all?
about 2 inch drop i think?......dude, you've seen my car before......its the only heavily modded IBP at the meets.......i'm the one with the gunmetal hre 540r's.......LOL

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha...doh! i have seen it...sorry...im not good at tagging screen names to cars...

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
JAEohEN said:
i went to 4 shops today on mission streets auto row in daly city....not one of them would even go near a lowered car to align the wheels....one said he could try it, but he said my car is too low and any damage he isnt liable for...i asked him if ANYWHERE would do it and he said good luck...

i keep hearing from everyone "you got your car lowered, you better get an alignment" haha welll where the heck does someone with a lowered car get one?

i know of people out here are slammed....if you guys got an alignment, where did you go?

thanks for the help guys...-jon
have you tried lexus of serramonte? they aligned my car right after my Koni Yellow shocks and H&R were intalled. if you have a body kit, that is another story.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^i was thinking that...last time igot serviced i aksed some people there if i could and he said they could....i have a type r front lip...i dont know how much of a difference that makes....they charge 150 though...where it seems the industry standard is less than 100...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Jon, what about Custom Alignment? I heard they do great work and takes care of customer's car like their own. But they're in the pricey side. You get what you pay for. :)

You can ask bchau_gt or rmmgs4 about them. They've both had their cars aligned by Custom Alignment.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
JAEohEN said:
^^i was thinking that...last time igot serviced i aksed some people there if i could and he said they could....i have a type r front lip...i dont know how much of a difference that makes....they charge 150 though...where it seems the industry standard is less than 100...
are you sure $150? 'cuz i paid about $85.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
YisSerL said:
Jon, what about Custom Alignment? I heard they do great work and takes care of customer's car like their own. But they're in the pricey side. You get what you pay for. :)

You can ask bchau_gt or rmmgs4 about them. They've both had their cars aligned by Custom Alignment.

Custom alignment hosted a Club Lexus meet a couple of months ago. Gave us a tour of the shop and told us about all of their services. They have top of the line equipment there, from their hunter 9700 load-force wheel balancer, to their optical alignment machines to their corner balancing station. They said they even do custom alignment specs. They'll ask you if you race often, or just criuse the highway, and then they'll align it to the best specs for you. ie, if you don't race a lot, they'll set it up for you to save on tire wear.

If I were in the bay, i'd use them.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
YisSerL said:

Custom Alignment is more expensive than other shops, but you really get what you pay for and their alignment process is amazing. They take a lot of care into doing the alignment and definitely handle lowered cars.

I had my car aligned there earlier this year and was pleased with the results (even though I don't push the car that hard). I thought it was cool that they asked how I like to drive the car and also asked for my weight and whether I'm usually the only person in the car. They will place weights in the driver's area to emulate your weight and consider that when doing the alignment.

Jon, what did you get to lower you car again? S-Tech springs?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bchau_gt said:
Jon, what did you get to lower you car again? S-Tech springs?
couldnt afford coilovers right now so i just got the hotchkis springs from .net store...

brian...how much did you pay for yours?

are you sure $150? 'cuz i paid about $85.
100% positive...i talked to the service manager, i forgot his name but he told me 150...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
JAEohEN said:
couldnt afford coilovers right now so i just got the hotchkis springs from .net store...

brian...how much did you pay for yours?
I can't remember exactly, but I think it was a little over $200. The price may possibly vary if you're lowered. I may need to go back there for an alignment soon as well.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^sounds good...ill probably just pay the extra amount and get it done right...a good alignment is cheaper than new tires...

OH and we got coupons at the meet too right?...mine are in my car still somewhere..

i was thinking of saving for when i need to get my rims repaired..oh well...we'll see..thanks for the information

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
JAEohEN said:
^^sounds good...ill probably just pay the extra amount and get it done right...a good alignment is cheaper than new tires...

OH and we got coupons at the meet too right?...mine are in my car still somewhere..

i was thinking of saving for when i need to get my rims repaired..oh well...we'll see..thanks for the information
I agree, paying more for a good alignment is still cheaper than a set of tires.

I don't remember getting coupons for Custom Alignment, but you can check with Glen and let me know. I think you're thinking of the meet at Wheel Techniques (I have those coupons too).

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^ohhh...i got confused...i saw this and thought it was the same place

IS JOE said:
Custom alignment hosted a Club Lexus meet a couple of months ago. Gave us a tour of the shop and told us about all of their services.

·
Registered
396 Posts
JON,
you heard it from the other guys already, but here's more info.

Custom Alignment TUNES your suspension to the exact ride height , tire size, driver weight, etc, etc.

If you add a turbo to your car do you have it tuned to factory spec or does it take a "special" shop that knows how to dial in your set up for maximum performance???

Custom Alignment is one of 2-3 shops in the Bay Area that TUNES suspensions. Hang out there and look at all the race cars and exotics coming in and out and you might get my point.

If you are spending good money on tires, suspension, etc. your car deserves more than a cheap alignment.

All cheap alignments get you are STOCK specs, which IS NOT always what you want to set the car to when it is lowered. Also you can't just ask someone how low their car is and then have someone else just align to that same spec. It doesn't work that way.

Too bad you missed the meet over at Custom Alignment in the beginning of summer meet. People who listened to the 2 hour lecture know what I am talking about. So there's no way I can convince people in just a couple of sentences.

Sorry for sounding like an Infommercial.

We gave out discount prizes to Custom Alignemt at EOS. Sorry you couldn't make it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts