Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will acetone melt plastic engine covers if they are painted with high tempature engine paint?

I saw it has been discussed....but i could not find a final answer on if it does or not. I want to paint mine, but if i dont like it i want the freedom to be able to take it right off.

Has anyone done this ir has anyone heard or outcomes from it??

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Rather than removing the paint with acetone why not just repaint them black if you decide to go back to stock?

·
Registered
946 Posts
LCA575 said:
Rather than removing the paint with acetone why not just repaint them black if you decide to go back to stock?
That's the best idea. If I get tired of mine, i"ll just paint them black or go to another color.

And yes, acetone will try to dissolve many plastics. I would never try to remove paint from plastic with any sort of solvent.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright thanks so much guys....if I just use my rep caliper paint or something will it look shiny or dull....also i have a clear coat i can put on....will it look good or stupid?? IYO

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
IS300Sam said:
alright thanks so much guys....if I just use my rep caliper paint or something will it look shiny or dull....also i have a clear coat i can put on....will it look good or stupid?? IYO
Make sure you clean the cover well with a good degreasing soap and water before you try to paint it. Also you may need to use an adhesion promoter or a plastic primer to make sure you get a good bond.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts