Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing an interior swap on my 2001 is300 going from tan to black. I have seats coming in from a 2005 is300. As far as I know the seat should bolt on easily. Has the yellow airbag harness changed from 2001 to 2005? Also if i have the memory seat bottom i should be able to incorporate memory seats into my 2001 correct?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Seats will bolt on yes.

Memory seats you'll have to retrofit, look it up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here are some pics of what im dealing with

The first pic is the passanger seat that has the module, the second pic is the drivers seat with the all the harnesses. The third pic is the harness off the car (2001 IS300). At this point I dont care to have the memory seat I just want my seats to be operating. I can be without the car for a couple days to try and get this sorted out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
The memory seat uses several interlocks and sources of power, one of which is a solid white wire from the 30A P/S fuse. You will either have to wire the module up as per the link below or just wire the white positive wire and white/black ground wire to the controls. See in memory seats, the controls are inputs to the memory module but in seats without memory, power directly flows from the white wire, through the switches and to the individual motors, the switches change the flow of current, which changes direction.
http://my.is/forums/f103/help-retrofitting-memory-seats-462858/

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Ok that's weird that the memory module is on the passenger seat but regardless it should wire up the same. I'd leave the memory module if I were you.. You're gonna need to cut the connector on the car that is suppose to connect to the passenger seat.. And you're going to be adding I believe 2 new wires to with 2 new seperate fuses from both sides of your kick box fuse panels.

What have you gotten so far?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The link that Jason gave you basically describes everything that needs to be done. I can help you break it down wherever you get lost though, I remember I had a hard time figuring that thing out too lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive decided im just going to cut off the harness of my old seats and hard wire it to the new seats motors and forget about the memory. However should I run into any issues? do the motors work without the memory module when connected directly to power/ground?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm not sure what the extra ones are but when I set mine up I only used the main harness and the yellow air bag harness. I would try to set it up first.. It doesn't take too long if the guide is easy for you to understand

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Seats that don't use the memory module use direct power from the white wire and a white/black ground that goes to the switch panel. The way that is wired, the switches close the motor circuits and change the way it flows which obviously changes direction. So, you would want to wire it up as shown on page #1023.

With memory seats, the white wire goes to the module as well as two other feeds and an interlock. I remember when bmxrush was trying to retrofit his in, there's quite a bit involved as far as rewiring. In this method, the seat switches are inputs to the module(they don't handle motor current) and the module is connected to/powers the motors, whereas in the non-memory seats, the switches simply do this. The memory module layout is shown on page #1019 of the DI book. Here's a link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nji5xr398lz7mio/2001-05 IS300 Diagnostic & Wiring & TSB Manual.pdf?dl=0

You can make a seat equipped with the memory function work without the memory function, but you have to wire all the motors to the seat control panel rather than to the seat memory module(as they are wired now). So really, you only use that white and white/black wires only for regular operation.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i found out the wiring harnesses on the seats can be swapped over i just took the harness from my 01 seats and put them on the 05 seats, ive done the passenger seat already and tested it and it works we will see
how the drivers seat does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts