Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this was posted before but here goes again for clarification.
When in your IS on the freeway, roll both rear windows down at least halfway and take her up to 70 mph. There should be this weird reverberating sound within the cabin so much that it can be unbearable and it feels like your ears are going to explode. It was more noticeable in the RX we got as a loaner. I know this doesn't happen in my wife's pathfinder. Is this a Lexus thing or have any of you experienced this in other makes of cars?

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by gmej:
I know this was posted before but here goes again for clarification.
When in your IS on the freeway, roll both rear windows down at least halfway and take her up to 70 mph. There should be this weird reverberating sound within the cabin so much that it can be unbearable and it feels like your ears are going to explode. It was more noticeable in the RX we got as a loaner. I know this doesn't happen in my wife's pathfinder. Is this a Lexus thing or have any of you experienced this in other makes of cars?
it's wind/air pulsation because the air's egress isn't consistent due to the design of the car. it "pulses" out, and the weird concussionistic feeling you experience is the pressure shifting so sharply.

i've had this happen in other cars, too

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
If this happens with either the sunroof or front window open, simply lower your rear windows (slightly) and that should aleviate the problem.... worked for me when I had my GS400, but that doesn't seem to happen in my E55...
Eric..

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
Hm.. this happened to me in both an RX and my IS, but only when my rear windows were the only ones rolled down. Must be a strange Lexus design.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think this is a trade off for a lower Coefficient of Drag. In order to keep this from happening, the best thing is to keep the air away from the window and try not to let it into the cabin when window is lowered. To do this you basically need the flow to separate from the body of the car, which in term causes higher drag. Since the IS has a fairly low drag coefficient when compare to other cars, and RX as well, you will have to sacrifice the comfort of lowering down window at high speed. And the thing is, how often do you lower your window at that speed? I know I almost never open my windows, even at city street.

·
Registered
994 Posts
My 95 Camry does that too. I haven't noticed it in my IS yet. But then again, I don't think I've ever lowered the rear windows in my IS. Maybe I should check it out just to make sure they work.

--k

[This message has been edited by chiem (edited October 08, 2000).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts