Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem/concern. I drive an 01' E-shift. I put the car into reverse, to back out of a parking space for instance, and then drive forward normally. When I apply the brakes after driving forward, i hear a loud "clunk" coming from what sounds like the front brakes. What is this noise? I have a feeling that it is normal, as I have heard it on my girlfriends Acura 3.2 tl also. But, i also drive a BMW 323i, and i have never heard this sound from that car. Is this a characteristic of Japanese vehicles? What causes this sound?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I heard that sound in my old camaro. I dont know what it is, I just assumed it was the suspension or something?? :-?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
This was posted before, someone said that it was the brake pads sliding a little bit in the caliper. Braking in reverse slides it to one side, braking going forward makes it shift and thats the sound. I hear it on mine, except its more of a click than a clunk. They said its normal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same issue with this. I have observe this on my car for awhile and the noice happens most of the time (~90%) when i was reversing the car, hit the brake to short to "D" and and accelerate. When I parked and just drive without reveirsing, i didn;t hear the noice. Please let us know the problem. Thanks....

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
same here...I was told it is the brake pad shifting in the caliper So I conducted my own tests...this is happens on most toyotas sound is more noticable if your car is dropped.... it can be remedied when you service your brakes for the first time (change the pads) I think there is some sort of bushing type material that can placed between gap of the area that make the click noise to reduce the gap...shorter gap/no gap = no click.

That is my hypothesis but we'll see after I change my brake pads. I had the dealer inspect my brakes and they are 100% fine and the noise was delcared "normal" for the IS :roll: and judging that this is happening to other folks on this board...more than just a few I think this may be true but can be remedied...

This happens when going into reverse the first time and stepping on the brake and moving forward and stepping on the brake the first time which proves it is the shifting of the brake pad inside the caliper relative to the direction the car is going to move in the first time...... subsequent braking should not make any noise...

·
Registered
320 Posts
yup happnes to me too..

i lowered my car, and it is pretty noticable now..

when I reverse out of a spot ( everyday ) i can hear it.. then as you pull forward and brake again, u can hear it.. then after that.. no more sound all the way home.. until I pull out again the next morning..

glad to hear its normal.. I instealld my suspension myself and was worried i screwed something up.. :chill: :crazy: 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
me, too. i wondered what the hell that was. the dealership said everything is fine. i hope it goes away after i change my brake pads for the first time.
strange noises make me nervous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts