Lexus IS Forum banner

Wierd noise @ startup

756 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  RodGrp 
#1 ·
Im not sure what it is ... the best way to describe it would be a "tapping" kinda noise. Makes me think something is ratling or loose. It is very distinct at startup and fades after some time out on the road (although still present). It would appear to be coming from the front half of the engine block, although my hearing isn't the best.

Im do for an oil change and service, I have been keeping up on maintenance religiously. Im using synthetic oil since approx 20K miles and change every 3K. Just broke 40K miles.

Should I be worried? Any ideas or comments on what is causing this or maybe someone can point me in the right direction as to wut to tell my lexus tech?

Thanks 8)

#5 ·
first off im not a noob... if u took the time to do a lil research urself u would see that i have been registered since jul 7 2002 :shame: ... not to mention i have been lurking since i purchased my car in early 2001.

second... i think i know the difference between the sound of brakes engaging at start up and a distinct 'tapping' sound coming from the engine bay (which i mentioned is still present while driving... if ur brakes are making noise while driving i would suggest u have them checked immediately :wink: ).

whatever, and to think i have even given u props 4 being mad funny in a prior post.

If any one else has any insight into my problem and feel they can reframe from being an a$$hole... i would appreciate the help.

special thanks 2 quick for suggesting noisey lifters.

#6 ·
There sure seem to be a lot of jerks on here. IMO this is a totally legit question to ask.

I did a search for 'noise AND start*'

...found this:
http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13325785&highlight=noise+start*

That's it, and it's not very helpful.

In regard to noisy lifters -- the shim over bucket lifter style we have is a noisier style of lifter. They shouldn't get real loud all of a sudden, however.

Perhaps you have a loose component somewhere in the front. If I were you I'd start the car and get in there with a large screwdriver. Put the handle to your ear and the end to engine components where you think the noise is coming from. You use it as a stethescope, basically.

That should help you to pinpoint the location...

Best of luck -- I look forward to hearing what it is.

#8 ·
I have a startup noise, I'm at 83500 miles. This sound is similar to Mercedes Benz C320 and E320. I'm just wondering, I hear the clicking noise, that doesn't bother me. But now I have this noise that sounds like a fan flapping. Did a visual check nothing is loose, but don't tell me to accept the engine is getting loose.

By the way, my last trip my car sat for one week, the car started up like an old studebaker. Anyone else has that problem too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.