Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the widest wheel+offset (and recommended tire size) that will fit the rear of the sportcross w/o rubbing? I'm thinking of staggering again.

chime in Dayvers? I know you change wheels like people change cellphones.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Mine is 255/35/18 on 18 X 8.5 with a +46 offset (not 100% sure, but will double check).

We had some problems with my recent spring install and it lowered the car until you couldn't see tire anymore, and there was no rubbing. :lol:

Everybody thought it looked cool as hell, but I told them there ain't no way in hell I'm riding around like that. Guess I'm getting old.

I think Herbert has some pretty low offsets, and he said he had very minor rubbing on one wheel.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Stole this from another thread.

if i had to do it again with what i know now i would get these specs...

front: 18x8.5 +43 offset 225/40/18
rear: 18x9.5 +38 offset 235/40/18

super sexy flush fitment

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the copy/paste Al!

you might think I'm crazy, but I want to go with 17" front and 18" +wider rear for that 'rod look. I always feel that with the hatch, it gives the illusion that the rear wheel has a smaller diameter when it doesn't, I want to correct that. I know, crazy idea.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
You're 100% right the rear wheel does look smaller.

I was think of putting a higher aspect ratio tire on the rear, to help even it up visually, but I don't want to slow the car down, upset the handling, or increase ride height. I'm not sure it would, but I'm not sure it wouldn't either.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did some calculations at first, if I run 225/45-17 up front and then 265/35-18 out back, the overall diameter difference is only 10mm. or 3% difference on the ODO.

I think going up 1 inch on the wheel would improve the look more than going with a taller tire since the sidewall will just blend in with the wheel well. I'll keep you guys posted if this works out or not.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
im sure its the same as the sedan... and it depends on what tire size you're going to run...

in my experience... 9.5" wide with a +55 offset is the best to go with if you don't want to shave anything. 255 will work with no problem.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
^^^ Yup...should be identical to the sedan.

18x9.5 would be an excellent choice. A 265/35/18 will fit under there w/o issues.

The 17/18 would look funning IMO. The rear fender lip is already cut lower than the front. An 17/18 would further add to the illusion of rear sag based on wheel lip to fender spacing. Or maybe I'm wrong and because it is that much more drastic, it'll look just fine.

Reactions: altezzagita
1 - 9 of 9 Posts