Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I started working on my flares because I am getting new wheels and tires tomorrow. The kit will be molded in like the rear lip is already done, but everything will be removable (skirts , bumpers, and fenders) I am also going to remove the molding on all four doors before paint. There is a lot of work ahead of me for this, so I will be updating this as it gets done. Those wheels are to get me by until my new tires get in tomorrow. The wheels will change later, but they are konigs for now (old drift wheels) and 18"x9.5, +22 offset all around with 265 35 r18 tires. I have not decided between flat and gloss black paint for the car as of yet. Opinions on what else I should do are appreciated.

I am also looking for a decently priced Wald replica front lip to finish the look.

test fitting the konig's

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Definitely do gloss black. That will show off all the cars lines and the fender flares. :) Car looks sick already.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Love it.. Great work man!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I say keep the mismatched wheels and the unpainted fender flares, bumpers and skirts. You wanna stand out right? Just playin'... Go gloss, people like shiny things :)

·
Super Moderator
7,863 Posts
One thing tho this is not a widebody car ..its an IS with fender flares ...Dont get me wrong car will look awesome when done i just dont want people thinking this is a true widebody ....

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback guys, the main reason I am thinking flat black is it is easier to lay down than a good coat of gloss black. I will be painting my car, so I am worried that gloss black will have a bunch of orange peal, since this will be my first time painting a car. I want the car to look mean, but look like it should have come that way in the first place.

Bezik777- I know they are just flares, but show me a "widebody" kit for the IS300 that is not just flares...

·
Registered
68 Posts
The thing with black is it shows alot in body work, so plan on spending hours of time block sanding the car to make it straight. As far as orange peal goes and if your doing base/clear you will be spending alot of time on it as it is. IMO what's a few more hours wet sanding and buffing it will pay off. Then again if you paint it flat black it also hides imperfections and saves on the wallet either way I'm sure it will come out awesome keep the pics coming.:cool:

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
having seen this car in person, body work should be amazing. the rear lip looks like he bought a full bumper.

·
Premium Member
20,996 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That car is sick, but still "just flares" It is one of the inspirations for doing flares on my car actually. I think Bezik777 is thinking more along the lines of the TRD widebody kit for the mkIV Supra.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More pics:

First, I was happy with my stock looking IS300, I was going for a sleeper look with supra wheels, and nothing else (body wise). Then this happened. A guy in a pickup truck with a camper shell backed into me at a red light. He was on my left and wanted to be in the right lane. After he offered $50 for my damages, we had the cops and insurance take care of it. I received an insurance check for $1,700 and then decided that Wald was in my car's future.

First I pulled the dents out of the dogleg that was bent, and filled it in

I could not even let the side skirts be a bolt on ordeal. If you look closely at a Wald kit, there is a little line that goes all the way around it. I do not like it, so I fiberglassed it in and then smoothed it out with body filler.

The rear bumper was a huge pain because I went with a replica kit. It was about 3/4" too wide, so I had to cut and narrow it to fit correctly.

Making the rear lip look like it is a whole bumper.

·
Registered
979 Posts
^^^that's why I bought authentic stuff...either way great work! I like the line that runs along the bottom of the wald...next year you will see a full authentic wald with flares. Wish I could do body work like that.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Waiting for the outcome.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^that's why I bought authentic stuff...either way great work! I like the line that runs along the bottom of the wald...next year you will see a full authentic wald with flares. Wish I could do body work like that.
I got the replica kit because I did not want to go with JDM bumpers. Body work is not hard, this is my second time doing actual body work. Just take your time.

Waiting for the outcome.
You will be waiting a while, I did the sides and bumper back in October. I am in no hurry to get the car finished, but I will post pics after I cut/ pull the fenders to fit the new wheel setup.

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
A guy in a pickup truck with a camper shell backed into me at a red light. He was on my left and wanted to be in the right lane. After he offered $50 for my damages, we had the cops and insurance take care of it. I received an insurance check for $1,700 and then decided that Wald was in my car's future.
$50, eh? Ohhhh, he must have thought this is one of those new recyclable cars made out of tin foil and spray paint. ;)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.