Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMO I would not spend all that money on a celica or Solara, I would rather buy an IS-300 if I had to stick with Toyota. How you you all feel about that? Now getting TRD for an IS300 I would consider either that or bumping up to a GS400. Opinions?

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
devil's advocate, that's all:

here come the "ooooh the cl-s is just like a solara so you just called your car non-sporty neener neener neener" responses.

comptechcls, i got these ppl down cold. trust me.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
"Why would TRD (blah, blah)...?"

"Why not?"

[This message has been edited by JW (edited November 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
As you know many factors come into play when purchasing a car. Price, performance, style, comfort and among other things. Certain cars appeal to certain people. Not everyone likes the design of the IS300 but they may appreciate the styling of a Solara or Celica. Admitted the CL Type-S has one hell of an engine but I personally think the design is very bland. When I buy a car I want it because I like everything about it. The Type-S can surely perform but not everyone likes driving big cars. Although the Celica would get wasted by a Type-S or GS400 I would still rather get a GT-S because I personally like driving small cars. I would rather invest money into a car that has the styling I'm attracted to and improve its performance with upgrades rather than buy one that dosen't appeal to me visually but already has the goods under the hood. Some people only look at the engine when they buy, some just at the curves of the body panels, and others check out both.

------------------
01 Black Onyx IS300

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Here's a thought....All of those cars are sporty, but I'd spend around $33k on a TRD Solara to have a car that would suck the L right off the IS, GS, or CL on Acura and many, many others. Same or better performance as an S4 but $10 downstream. It's a great package IMO until they work up a system for the IS.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Originally posted by ispeed:
As you know many factors come into play when purchasing a car. Price, performance, style, comfort and among other things. Certain cars appeal to certain people. Not everyone likes the design of the IS300 but they may appreciate the styling of a Solara or Celica. Admitted the CL Type-S has one hell of an engine but I personally think the design is very bland. When I buy a car I want it because I like everything about it. The Type-S can surely perform but not everyone likes driving big cars. Although the Celica would get wasted by a Type-S or GS400 I would still rather get a GT-S because I personally like driving small cars. I would rather invest money into a car that has the styling I'm attracted to and improve its performance with upgrades rather than buy one that dosen't appeal to me visually but already has the goods under the hood. Some people only look at the engine when they buy, some just at the curves of the body panels, and others check out both.

Very well said, my thoughts exactly!

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
why not? i think it is about time the camry had some ass behind it. some people may need a camry for family reasons or something, but want the kick of a mk4 supra, and with this you get a mixture.

plus it makes a hell of a sleeper, i know i would be pissed if i got smacked up by a middle-aged man or woman in there CAMRY! and didn't know why.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
MikeLS, don't be so quick to assume a TRD Solara will wax a G4. I have seen high fives and low sixes reported for both cars. Add a torque converter to the G4 and you can kiss the push goodbye.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
That's true, the GS4 does have a slick V8 and respectable performance. But, I know one thing's for sure. I don't have $50 grand to blow on a GS4. I do know that a TRD Solara in the low $30s is a great value if you're running with '99 M3s , stock GS4s, S4s...etc.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I don't have fifty to blow either-That's why I bought an ultra clean 98 G4 in the low thirties.

Originally posted by MikeLS:
That's true, the GS4 does have a slick V8 and respectable performance. But, I know one thing's for sure. I don't have $50 grand to blow on a GS4. I do know that a TRD Solara in the low $30s is a great value if you're running with '99 M3s , stock GS4s, S4s...etc.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Originally posted by brad:
I don't have fifty to blow either-That's why I bought an ultra clean 98 G4 in the low thirties.

98 G4, low $30s...that's a heck of a deal in my book. Congrats & enjoy the car!

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Anyone know when that Car and Driver article on TRD Solara was published? I can't find it and their website's screwed.
The TRD Solara has 2 things the CL-S doesn't, headroom enough for people over 6 feet, and a 5 speed manual, so with suspension tuning and 270 hp (?), it's probably be a really nice car. I'd consider that, whereas I'd never buy a CL-S, even if I could fit in it.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
It's in the Car and Driver with the Ultimate Celica on the cover.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Thanks JW, I have to one. Just read it, and it says 6.3 sec 0-60, at 247 hp. Nice car, but judging by that article I think an IS300 w/ SC, suspension tuning, and exhaust/intake mods would be a better drive, and those mods would probably only cost $5000, so a manual supercharged IS300 might be had for $36,000. That would be sweet.

Originally posted by JW:
It's in the Car and Driver with the Ultimate Celica on the cover.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts