Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to you altezzas owners i ask. im glad they redid the car, as i personally think the current is300 is fuggly and looks more liked a riced out civic than it does as a high priced vehicle using the lexus brand. im sure im not the only one to think so. hell, im betting sales agree with me.the current one looks as if it probably belonged under the toyota badge and about 8k less(my personal opinion).

im glad you like your is300s, but the new one looks nicer.it finally looks like a car worth the 30k price tag and worthy of the lexus badge.

heck, it even made me, a long time bmw fanboy even consider the new is250. for the longest time i loved bmws, until the e90 popped out. i like it, but it simply doesnt appeal to me as much as a e46 bmw did 2 years ago and certainly the price tag for one doesnt either.

lets all enjoy our cars and be happy toyota/lexus evolved the styling of the car(ill agree with the engine and tranny).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yea, IS300 is a great car...but more for the rich high school folks.
The new IS dfntly are for older crowd (young professionals). I'm coming from an entry level mercedes to the new IS. However I do think my current Merc's style is a little better than the new IS, but overall rating....I love the IS more.
I'm just hoping I dont have to pay MSRP or > for one....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I made my decision based on more criteria than just looks. I like my
1Gen IS. The new bodystyle grew on me, I still have a hard time
swallowing those mamoth side view mirrors...They make the car look
a bit akward. :suspiciou

My next car will probably be a 6spd IS350 in a few years....If they
ever build one.

j

·
Registered
628 Posts
Alfred_Neuman said:
to you altezzas owners i ask. im glad they redid the car, as i personally think the current is300 is fuggly and looks more liked a riced out civic than it does as a high priced vehicle using the lexus brand. im sure im not the only one to think so. hell, im betting sales agree with me.the current one looks as if it probably belonged under the toyota badge and about 8k less(my personal opinion).

im glad you like your is300s, but the new one looks nicer.it finally looks like a car worth the 30k price tag and worthy of the lexus badge.

heck, it even made me, a long time bmw fanboy even consider the new is250. for the longest time i loved bmws, until the e90 popped out. i like it, but it simply doesnt appeal to me as much as a e46 bmw did 2 years ago and certainly the price tag for one doesnt either.

lets all enjoy our cars and be happy toyota/lexus evolved the styling of the car(ill agree with the engine and tranny).

thank you for your moronic comments our cars are NOT civics. IS's were built first before the new civics.

Stay a BMW fan.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Alfred_Neuman said:

NOT COOL...DID YOU OPEN UP AN ACCOUNT JUST TO CALL US RICED OUT CIVICS...

·
Registered
999 Posts
Alfred_Neuman said:

The IS300/Altezza spawned a whole industry of aftermarket taillights...mainly for those "riced out" civics you're talking about. The looks of the car are all subjective so it doesn't matter you don't like how the current IS300 looks. But it's definitely not a riced out civic...those civic owners just stole the lights and slapped them on their car. If you can find a reliable, RWD, inline6 that shifts as smooth as the IS300 does for $8k less...by all means, go buy one. The 3 series is just a joke. I've had so many problems with our 2000 328ci that I had to sell it within 2 years. The handling was great, but I can't deal with an automatic that stalls at the light. :pissed:

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Alfred_Neuman said:

Be a true fanboy and get off our forum, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bruinette said:
The IS300/Altezza spawned a whole industry of aftermarket taillights...mainly for those "riced out" civics you're talking about. The looks of the car are all subjective so it doesn't matter you don't like how the current IS300 looks. But it's definitely not a riced out civic...those civic owners just stole the lights and slapped them on their car. If you can find a reliable, RWD, inline6 that shifts as smooth as the IS300 does for $8k less...by all means, go buy one. The 3 series is just a joke. I've had so many problems with our 2000 328ci that I had to sell it within 2 years. The handling was great, but I can't deal with an automatic that stalls at the light. :pissed:

i know the car itself is a good car and a fun car, but the styling is a mix between the last gen civic with a semi subaru front (in a small way).

id know, i drove one for an entire day. it was a fun car but the styling just couldnt be sold to me over the past few years.

i didnt mean for this thread to "offend" you altezza drivers. take it as you want, but the fact is......2nd gen has got my attention, first gen didnt. i dont see why the bashing of the next gens coming out.the way i see it, lexus made a design of a car much more classier and nice for an entry level car.

ps: thank you for being one of the most level headed poster so far in this thread.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
bmw's are gay..
so get off the board and do us all a favor do not buy the new is

yeah this a civic alright.... thanks wino for having such a great car

and this one (isman- gotat give props)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Alfred_Neuman said:
i know the car itself is a good car and a fun car, but the styling is a mix between the last gen civic with a semi subaru front (in a small way).

id know, i drove one for an entire day. it was a fun car but the styling just couldnt be sold to me over the past few years.

i didnt mean for this thread to "offend" you altezza drivers. take it as you want, but the fact is......2nd gen has got my attention, first gen didnt. i dont see why the bashing of the next gens coming out.the way i see it, lexus made a design of a car much more classier and nice for an entry level car.

ps: thank you for being one of the most level headed poster so far in this thread.
I actually do like the new IS myself and I understand how some people would like how it looks more than the current one. The only thing that got me was the civic comment only because Altezza/IS300s came out with the styling way before the civics overkilled it. It's completely fine with me if you say you don't like how the current IS looks; just don't say it looks like a riced out civic :rolleyes: grrr...those damn civics w/the altezza lights

btw, this looks like it's heading towards the PL...I better stay out of it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
ChinoXS203 said:
bmw's are gay..
so get off the board and do us all a favor do not buy the new is

yeah this a civic alright.... thanks wino for having such a great car
There's even a Civic next to the IS for comparision in this pic...Nope, the civic has nothin on the IS

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bruinette said:
I actually do like the new IS myself and I understand how some people would like how it looks more than the current one. The only thing that got me was the civic comment only because Altezza/IS300s came out with the styling way before the civics overkilled it. It's completely fine with me if you say you don't like how the current IS looks; just don't say it looks like a riced out civic :rolleyes: grrr...those damn civics w/the altezza lights

btw, this looks like it's heading towards the PL...I better stay out of it.
reason i said it is because the back reminds me too much of a civic though. i didnt mind the interior, but the current gens interior felt tooo small compared to the e46 bmw and the tsx/tl.

trust me, im sure a lot of people think the same way of the rear as me. i probably simply voiced it than keep it d/l. i apologize then if i offended, but i still want to know why people hate the new design.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Guys, lighten up - you all KNOW that SOME people think the IS looks like a riced out Civic - you don't have to like it or believe it, but it happens to be some people's opinion.

What he's saying is that the new IS, to many people, looks like a more mature car. I don't think anyone of us can deny that.

Just chill - and enthuse...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Buying a car based on its exterior is gay and about as asinine as those who pick wives simply by their looks. I for one am inside the car when I am driving and dont give two shits what the exterior looks as I dont need to try and impress strangers. I have enough assets to impress people on my own rather than have my car's styling do it for me.

First off I think the current IS looks badass and it has a unique style. I give Toyota credit for having it look the wya it did rather than the German brands who use the same damn cookie cutter design for every model and slightly modify it each generation. Dont get me wrong, I think BMWs look nice (well the previous gen) and the current MB design is nice but each model in their respective brand looks the same.

There is no way the current IS300 was overpriced especially when you compare it to its competition. At 8k less it woudl ahve bene the steal of the automotive industry.

I personally like the look of the new IS350 but I feel the current IS looks better. Having said that there is no question the new IS looks far more "polished" and "grown up" compared to the current IS. I dont think anyone can truly deny that.

In the 4.5 years I had my IS300 not one person said it looked bad so that must be a sign that most people liked the look rather than people on car forums or the people who write for car mags paid to say crap and contradict themselves.

Having said all that, I respect your opinion and anyone else who doesnt like the look of the current IS or any other car I may like. Peple have diff tastes so obviously people will think things look diff than I do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rob L said:
Buying a car based on its exterior is gay and about as asinine as those who pick wives simply by their looks. I for one am inside the car when I am driving and dont give two shits what the exterior looks as I dont need to try and impress strangers. I have enough assets to impress people on my own rather than have my car's styling do it for me.

First off I think the current IS looks badass and it has a unique style. I give Toyota credit for having it look the wya it did rather than the German brands who use the same damn cookie cutter design for every model and slightly modify it each generation. Dont get me wrong, I think BMWs look nice (well the previous gen) and the current MB design is nice but each model in their respective brand looks the same.

There is no way the current IS300 was overpriced especially when you compare it to its competition. At 8k less it woudl ahve bene the steal of the automotive industry.

I personally like the look of the new IS350 but I feel the current IS looks better. Having said that there is no question the new IS looks far more "polished" and "grown up" compared to the current IS. I dont think anyone can truly deny that.

In the 4.5 years I had my IS300 not one person said it looked bad so that must be a sign that most people liked the look rather than people on car forums or the people who write for car mags paid to say crap and contradict themselves.

Having said all that, I respect your opinion and anyone else who doesnt like the look of the current IS or any other car I may like. Peple have diff tastes so obviously people will think things look diff than I do.
tastes vary. if i were going to pay 30k or so for my car, id like to have it a slick and nice design. i never felt the 1st gen cut it for me and it did for you guys. im glad it did it for you, good job, but theres no reason into hating the next gen aside from obvious things YOU may want.

ive grown up all around m3's,m5's clks and such. "I" might be a special order, but power to me isnt everything nor end all be all.

i was looking for a nice looking,decently equipped car around the 35k mark and in MY personal tastes, thats what i think. you obviously dont agree and thats why you own it. im happy for you, but im happier bout the new design coming out.

im simply looking for an awd that can handle and make me happy driving it.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Alfred_Neuman said:
reason i said it is because the back reminds me too much of a civic though. i didnt mind the interior, but the current gens interior felt tooo small compared to the e46 bmw and the tsx/tl.

trust me, im sure a lot of people think the same way of the rear as me. i probably simply voiced it than keep it d/l. i apologize then if i offended, but i still want to know why people hate the new design.
It reminds you of a civic because you see more civics with altezza lights than IS300s on the road. But I do agree the IS interior is small. The numbers are actually fairly close, but i guess it feels small compared to the e46 3series. Can't really compare to the TL due to difference in general size, price, power etc. Although I do miss the interior in our bimmer. The tsx has a nice interior, but i HATE how it's labeled an "entry level luxury sport sedan." That fwd, 4banger is luxurious...but no way in hell is it a "sports sedan." The IS is a sloooowww car too, but the TSX has a 60/40 weight distribution along with a ridiculous 140ft 60-0mph stopping distance. What a great "sports sedan." :suspiciou

And yes, power isn't everything. If I thought it was that important, i wouldn't have gotten my IS300 haha....anyways, the new IS is a very nice car =)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I gotta give props to the 1st gen IS. This car set a trend that a lot of other cars copy afterward such as the tail light. It's a classic car. It's the first Lexus to be serious about handling which paves the way for the new IS. I think both IS are excellent cars.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i just hope the 1st gen drivers dont go bash 2nd gen is drivers like they in bmw forums( damn its annoying as all hell. its everywhere, from 3 to 5 series,to 6 and series and all inbetween. this includes first gen to the current e90,e60,etc).

its a daily of "my 545 is better than your 330xi" crap and i hope it doesnt happen with current is drivers.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I hope we avoid doing that here as well.

Current members only need think of the enthusiasm that brought them here when they bought their own car. Why can't someone be as excited about the new car? It's the same feeling to them as it was to you - don't knock it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts