Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not asking this to aggrevate anyone on this board... I've driven the car, I like it but seems like there are a lot of issues too. I live in the midwest and the weather concerns me. This is also the first run at the model. Will the '02 be better? Wehat about the BMW 330 series?

I am asking for some guidance here. I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hey baker, not to bust your balls or anything, but search the old threads. There are millions on this topic.

You will here from the IS owners that the IS is the best.

What concerns have you heard about?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct, and I have tried to do my share of diligence on this board, but I gotta tell ya, there's a lot of crap out here too. I appreciate the "busting". I'll dig deeper.

Originally posted by ISFAN:
Hey baker, not to bust your balls or anything, but search the old threads. There are millions on this topic.

You will here from the IS owners that the IS is the best.

What concerns have you heard about?

·
Registered
272 Posts
My best answer is do the research and find what appeals to you. Certain factors that you find important may be great on one car but not the other. Also those same factors may be great for you but not someone else. Identify your own needs and wants and make up a pros and cons chart. Read all the material you can. Then go with what your gut tells you. Only you can make that ultimate decision and only you have to live with that decision. Now I'm sounding like yoda

On a more bias note, go with the IS300 in spectra mica blue with beige leather interior, limited slip, and a sun roof

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Baker, you're right, there is a lot of crap out there but at the same time there's a great deal of honest and factual info on the car too.
I bought it because it appealed to me, had a nice and torqy engine, and came well equipped for under $35K (I paid $36K out the door - including taxes and tags). And the Lexus name counted too. Plus I was sick of seeing 3 series bimmers everywhere, they're just too common (still good cars though). I still enjoy exclusivity and a lot of attention. And the service that I get from Lexus is just too good to give up. The car itself is great too.
I haven't had any significant problems (and the ones that I had have been taken care of by Lexus, at no cost to me). The car seems to perform better at 2900 miles, and even the fuel economy is getting better.
I simply love the car, and will get another one in 4/5 years, when it comes out.
As for getting the 2002, well they'll offer a manual transmission, an armrest, dimming rearview mirror, all auto up/down windows, and maybe a few other things.
Teg and a few others here, who happen to own the car, are very objective and informative, ask them and they'll agree: the car is wonderful!!
good luck

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Baker,

My advice to test drive the BMW 330, the Audi S4, and the IS.

Which one makes you yell "WOOHOO!" ?

Next do a 360 walk around of each car.

Which one makes you go "OOOOOHHHHHH YEAH!!!" ?

There you have it you now have all the data to make an informed and educated decision about a car

Seriously though. It's hard to make an objective decision on a car purchass.

What you get with the IS is:
- a great value.
- a nimble car that has some muscle.
- a Real styling standout
( you have to decide if this is a
good thing!)
- no manual tranny(until 2002)

- no gps('til 2002)
- no memory seats.

I'm actually split between the Audi s4 and the IS Right now. I probably am not buying til next year(just bought a house).

I highly recomend the WOOHOO Test though!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was split between the S4 and IS300 too. The S4 was sweet, but the look was soo dated (new body maybe in 2004). There was also a 12 month waiting period here in Seattle. I figured - the IS300 kicks! My lexus guy bumped me from #30 to #4. The wife likes it and it's a blast to drive.

------------------
2001 IS300 - White
1999 RX300 4WD - White

·
Registered
260 Posts
why i choose the IS300 over 3 series:
1) value(IS=36,000, 325CI=36,000, 328CI=???)
2) famliy minded, auto + 4 doors a must
3) stylish and sexy
4) fresh look (at least for now, Bimmer everywhere you seem)
5) handling (Bimmer steering too light to handle, like driving a Camry or something)
6) of course there is more.......

3series is a nice car, i am sure there are things it has where the IS300 won't..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts