Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just came from the dealer and asked them about the rust protection that's already on our cars.

Our cars are protected agains't rust for something like 8 or 9 years.
However, it's only rust that start on the inside of the car and moves out to the surface...not rust due to paint chips, dents, or other such things that cause rust to form on the surface and work its way down.

I asked if there be any benefit in getting rust protection and they said no. If you see rust, it's already too late...and by getting any sort of rust protection voids the original warranty of rust forming on theinside of the car.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Are you sure about this information? So you're saying that if we don't rust proof our cars we're better off?

Most cars will eventually have rust form on them due to salt building up on the body's of the cars. This is why you see so many cars with rust around the wheel wells.

The rust warranty on the car... as you said... is for PERFORATION RUST... not surface rust. Thus it doesn't cover rust due to salt collecting on the body of the car. It only covers rust that comes from the inside and works its way out.

So becareful of what you believe. I'm gonna get my car rust-proofed at Krown this week. We have a 15 year old Toyota Cressida with no rust on it... and my parents made sure to rust proof it every year.

·
Registered
218 Posts
hey i made a deal with krown last few wks ago... they said if 5 cars go up there at once there is a 15$ discount each. so that is (110+tax)-15. or i think if i tell them someone referred me there i'll get (100+tax)-15. but i've already rust protected my car back in june so i'm dealing with them for the cdn IS forum

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
How easy is it to get a discount? I hear of tons of people getting $10 off.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I heard the same thing from the dealership when I got my car. It already has some sort of rust protection.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I don't think it's really the main parts of the outside of the car that are the problem. It's usually the cracks, edges and crevices where salt can build up. That's why you see so many old cars with rust along the wheel wheels, and various edges and seams along the car. The basically drill small holes in your car and spray oil to coat the inside of the doors and fenders. This is probably what your dealer was refering to inregards to the warranty. But they also spray other areas such as the underside of your car. And this just protects the body of the car from having salts accumulate on it and eventually cause rust.

If you go here... you'll see a slide show which shows what Krown does.

http://www.krown.com/process.php#

I'm a bit nervous about having somebody drill holes in my baby. But if I remember that the alternative is having my baby eventually rust to pieces... then I guess it's best to let them drill some holes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Most new cars have rust protection. The reason you see older cars rusty is because they don't have rust protection.
Q: How many rusty 90s model cars have you noticed on the road? A: Notawholelot.

Of course getting rust protection wont hurt.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Does lex cover rust for the interior or anyone ever been in that situation? What I mean is my seat rails are rusting, dunno how. Don't think it was ever flooded cause the IS is a CPO. Maybe the previous owner lived near the ocean as the car is from the Miami area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts