1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crippen
Honda-Acura.net

posted June 04, 2000 12:31 PM
Well, I would tend to agree, but I still contend they screwed up the gear ratio for 4th gear. It's just too friggin' tall. What a nasty power drop from 3rd to 4th gear. 5th gear is fine for overdrive and gas consumption...making 4th also overdrive was just a "cheater" way of achieving better mileage imho. Its robbing the car of its true potential ..

------------------
R.I.P Integra Type-R Black 2001 CL-S
CL Forum Moderator

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Brad,
The CL-S did beat the 328ci to 60 and the quarter mile by a relatively large margin (according to motor trend).. BUT.... I wonder how both would fair if they raced from 90-120mph...
Eric....

·
Registered
306 Posts
As far as I know, none of the magazine reviews have mentioned a lack of power at high speed either. I would think one of them would have mentioned it by now.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
marke1, well, believe me it quits once you shift into fourth.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Not to discredit you or anything brad, but I test drove it a while ago and didn't notice anything either. I only went up to about 100 though.

--k

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fair enough, and I'm not saying this car is a dog, but I noticed a severe drop in power when I drove it the second time and thought that perhaps I was expecting too much. Then I hear numerous stories about cars with lesser power (hp and torque ratings) running right with a CL-S at high speeds. That to me is discouraging, nitpicky, yes. And this is the moderator's quote, for pete's sake. I bet we'll find that this IS charges just fine to 144 and there won't be any of these discussions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey guys.. u know why does the Cl-S quits when it shifts to 4th gear.. i will tell u why. the vtec starts punching at 5000 .. when the car shifts from 3rd to 4th the rpm drops under 5000 ... sometimes at 4700 or 4800.. it will take the car a while to hit the vtec point again and in will charge again.... anyways the V-AFC that i have handle the problem very good... it will make the vtec kick in over 4400 and that will make the car kick in all gears.. believe me there are a huge difference when the Cl-S have the vtec controller. i wouldnt compare my car with the IS300 .. i would compare it with the 400GS.

oh yeah guys i wanted to say something else... my friends have 400GS and 430GS.. the 430 is way faster than the 400 .. why is that. from my knowledge they have the same HP. any comments.

------------------
CL-S with headers, mufflers,springs, 18 inch wheels, V-AFC, AEM intake.
Waiting for the Supercharger.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Probably because the GS430 has more torque at lower rpm than the GS400.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Originally posted by Gold CL-S:
hey guys.. u know why does the Cl-S quits when it shifts to 4th gear.. i will tell u why. the vtec starts punching at 5000 .. when the car shifts from 3rd to 4th the rpm drops under 5000 ... sometimes at 4700 or 4800.. it will take the car a while to hit the vtec point again and in will charge again.... anyways the V-AFC that i have handle the problem very good... it will make the vtec kick in over 4400 and that will make the car kick in all gears.. believe me there are a huge difference when the Cl-S have the vtec controller. i wouldnt compare my car with the IS300 .. i would compare it with the 400GS.

oh yeah guys i wanted to say something else... my friends have 400GS and 430GS.. the 430 is way faster than the 400 .. why is that. from my knowledge they have the same HP. any comments.

Haha.. GS400? Don't even try comparing a CL-S to a GS400. I've raced a CL-S before, my friend's... at that time my GS400 was stock and so was his CL-S. At 1 in the morning we took the cars on the freeway, starting at 65mph he punched it, and i followed, not only did I overtake him at around 80mph, by the time I hit my speed limiter at about 155/158 he was a good 9-10 car lengths behind me and I was quickly pulling away (probably because the Cl-S has a lower top speed). The CL-S in no way compares to the GS400...If you tried to race from a standstill the results would be even worse for the Cl-S, 5.7 seconds on the GS4 vs. the 6.5 on the CL-S...In terms of modifications a modified GS400 with torque converter upgrade, a Swift Intake, and an Exhaust would yield over 345+HP, have the ability to peel out in 1st gear INDEFINATELY, and possess 0-60 times of about 5.1/5.2 seconds, enough to beat out an S4 MANUAL...On the matter of the GS430, I heard it is faster at speed than the GS400 but from a standstill it actually is a little slower than the GS400 (by less than .2 of a second to 60mph)... apparently this is due to the emissions restrictions on the new model (ULEV vs. LEV), e-shift has also been taken off of the new GS430 due to emissions restrictions

Sorry about the long post but this CL-S stuff has gone a little too far, I can't believe you tried comparing it to a GS400

-Chris Y.

[This message has been edited by Chris Y (edited December 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Oh yea... one other reason not to buy a CL-S, STYLING! Not to beat a dead horse or start any flames, but if you were to ask an unbiased bystander on the street to choose between a Cl-S and IS300 purely on looks, i could bet you 8 times out of 10 they'd take the IS300, not only does it look better (IMO), but if you're a badge snob Lexus does tend to be more respected than Acura just as Mercedes and BMW are seen as slightly more prestigious than Lexus...Now if you want to analyze why the IS300 looks better look at these two things, one, the lack of a chin on the CL-S, and second, the long overhangs on the CL-S.... In regards to the "chin" the bottom of the front end fascia goes back inwards, whereas on the IS300 the front end goes straight down if you look at it from a profile view, Cars are a lot like people, a person without a chin doesn't look as good in a profile view, the same applies to cars (notice that body kits and sportier cars have front lip spoilers).. In terms of overhangs, the front and rear overhangs of the CL-S make it look unwieldy and not very sporty, why do BMW's often look so mean? Not only is it the front headlights but also the short front and rear overhangs which give it a tight and sporty character...

-Chris Y.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, 4th gear in the CL-S is too tall. Fortunately, we don't hit 4th gear until 110mph so how often is this really a liability? Certainly a reason not to buy this car

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S
"I always knew the gold ones were faster."

·
Registered
81 Posts
Okay... I don't have a CL-S, but I drive a TL, which is quite similar in a way. Now, why wouldn't I buy the CL-S. Well, it's ugly first of all. I think Accord coupe look 100 times better then that American looking fat ass crap. The front is looks tight, but not from behind. Another thing is that it's a FWD, which is good in a way. Easier to drive especially in snow. However, I don't think the 260hp will go nicely with the FWD setup. Even 225hp is too much for my FWD TL.

I am not gonna talk about the handling, since it's not a hardcore sports coupe like the BMW let's say. But I do have something to say about the gearing.

I have drove the CL-S before I brought my car. It doesn't pull in 4th gear, and don't give me the VTEC didn't kicked in and that kinda crap. NO!!! it's just the gearing ratio. I have to admit that the car just don't have any power at 4th gear. The same on my car. As soon as I hit 100mph, (3rd gear, red line) I lost power when I shift into 4th. Why do you think the CL and TL downshift into 3rd gear when you floor it while you were in 5th on the highway?

Once I raced with a Jaugar. Not sure if it's the V8 or not. He was alone in the car while I have another friend of mine and 2 girls on my ride(that's at least 450lbs more right there!!). I could hang with him until I shift into the 4th gear. As soon as I hit the 4th, he started to pull away from me.

Oh... and I forgot to mention the "quality". Put it this way, I think I will never buy an Acura again, and I won't ever buy a car that's builded in the US(include the X5, and M-class... but I did consider the Vette and might actually get it)

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Golden, I'm talking about the powerband within 4th gear, not a redline shift from third to fourth. My point is that not only is it just short of overdrive but you have to kick down to get power at well below 110. And that, my friend, I don't like and was yet another cheat tactic that pissed me off. The car's very nice but ridden with cheats that I could discuss for days if you'd like.

Originally posted by Golden:
Yes, 4th gear in the CL-S is too tall. Fortunately, we don't hit 4th gear until 110mph so how often is this really a liability? Certainly a reason not to buy this car

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Originally posted by Gold CL-S:

Time to pull out Mr. Ed...
Come on now! the IS is a brand new entry level vehicle to this market. It is not a Sport version. Right now it doesn't even have a manual transmission!
BUT, for a first shot at the target, Toyota/Lexus hit the bullseye! Wait a couple of years, and the IS will compete with and blow away most competitors in its class. The engine has a more potential and the handling argueably outperforms the BMW 3-series!
The CL-S is a top of the line psuedo japanese sport coupe. AND front wheel drive to boot!
...plus it's ugly...

Okay car, fast, but come on...if all you can brag about is straight line performance, you should be looking at a Z28 or Firebird and save 1/2 of your $$$.

------------------
MAD

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
without VTEC honda would die. i don't think honda can design a good turbo engine so they decided to use high rpms instead. sooner or later they're going to have to use bigger displacement.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gold CLS, the G4 and the G430 run to sixty the same and do the quarter the same and are both electronically limited to 149. The G430 has a little more torque and shifts are a little more seamless, but overall performance is almost identical.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You folks are very quick to dog on VTEC. That really disappoints me. How do you think you are getting 215 Hp? With VVTI. VTEC was the origional and Honda has used it to extract some of the highest HP/L ratios seen in a N/A veichle. Honda has been making bigger displacement engines, slowly but surely. But the way I see it, if you can get more from less why not do it. The upcoming integra will have 220Hp and is equipped with i-VTEC. I think that is pretty incredable coming from such a small engine. We won't start with the S2000. Be fair with Honda, just because they are cheap compared to Lexus does not mean you can dis on the industry leading technologies they use.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts