Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frist of all, thanks for the replies.
I am a couple more question about the car and hope that somebody can answer them.
Why can't the GPS system be install later on?
Will Lexus add a some HP boost to the current engine? For Example a Dual VVTi, VVTLi, a Vauable intake runner length (like the CL type S)
Will there be a TRD supercharger?

By the way, I would like to express my opinions on the car.
Overall the IS 300 is a great car in terms of what you pay for. However, there are two parts of the car that I don't like.
The engine, and the way the supensions are turned.
The engine use technologies back from the early 90's or late 80's. Iron block (heavy),simple cam phasing.
The damping of the suspension maxes out too fast, but the extra gain on the hanldings are little.
Lexus wants this car run against the new C-class and the 3-seies but I think it some what fail to so. The Cast-Iron block engine compromised a lot of the handling. Lexus claimed the center of engine is located 55 mm behind the front axle, this also implies that nearly half of the engine is hanging in front of the axle.
On the other hand, the 3 series doesn't have this problem, therefore I think the 330 will be drive better, and faster then the IS 300.

The new C-class will be smoother, quiter, more comfortable, and more advance compare to the IS and I think both of these cars are lighter then the IS 300.

Ok, if anyone thinks a over 3000 pound compact sports sedan is not heavy, look at the current E-class. It weights only 200 pounds more then the IS 300 and it is a much bigger car.

Well, IS still has it's own advantage. Price and the turabilities. Any after market coil overs will fix the damping problem. A TRD supercharge will turn the little whale into a shark. The interior design looks aggressive, and the price is about 8000 cheaper then the C or the 3.

Of course, a GPS is a must!

PS. I am afaird toyota will develope a new alloy I-6 and puts it into the car.
As Toyota has not came up with a real sports car or all-alloy engine. New NSX will hit the street soon, maybe toyota will have a new Supra with dual VVTL-i, twin turbo = 400hp+ car.

Any comments are welcome.
Thanks
Pete regards

[This message has been edited by sonictrend (edited August 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
>> Why can't the GPS system be install later on?

Because the current car is likely missing some of the hookups on the wiring harness to support the _new_ GPS that they are getting set to release next year. Also, the various sensors (and such) would require that the car be disassembled, modified and customized beyond what a typical Lexus dealer is willing to do. With this said, I could be wrong, and maybe they could do a retrofit, but I think it is highly unlikely. I sortof think they might do a dashboard redesign next year to accomodate the new NAV.

>> Will Lexus add a some HP boost to the current engine? For Example a Dual VVTi, VVTLi, a Vauable intake runner length (like the CL type S)

Time will tell. I doubt anyone on this forum knows for sure. I suppose that any of the things you mentioned are a possibility. The could also up the displacement a bit... Like an IS320 or something.

>> Will there be a TRD supercharger?

They are thinking about it. If they do it, it will probably be a Kazuma aftermarket part which _may_ not be fully servicable by Lexus dealerships.

There will be plenty of aftermarket parts including turbo kits for the IS300. Price, reliability, noise, warantee & emissions tests are all issues that we will need to consider.

>> The engine use technologies back from the early 90's or late 80's. Iron block

Yeah - but it is a very well proven engine. It is one of the most reliable units from the Toyota inventory.

>> The damping of the suspension maxes out too fast, but the extra gain on the hanldings
are little.

As much as Lexus says that this car is their "pure sports" car, it still has some amount of Lexus comfort engineered in which may account for the relatively soft springs/shocks (as compared to a "real" sports car like an Rx7 R2).

>> The Cast-Iron block engine compromised a lot of the handling.

By many accounts this is a fine handling car (even though it isn't perfect).

----

I plan to replace the stock shocks/springs with something a little more agressive and eventually fit some kind of supercharger.

>> Ok, if anyone thinks a over 3000 pound compact sports sedan is not heavy, look at the ...

Yeah - too bad they couldn't get this car to be under 3000lbs...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, Is it better off to get the 2002 model ?
Since, there might be a so much major upgrades available next year.
So, if I get the TRD supercharger, they will avoid the warrenties of the car ?
After market suspension is a great Idea, should consider a good set of coil overs. Those things are really perform.
By the way, what is the best price for IS 300 ?
1000 on top of the invoice ?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by sonictrend (edited August 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you're willing to wait and don't need the car immeadiately, waiting is always a good idea. If you have to have GPS or manual or TRD parts, then just wait for the 2002 model. You can try to talk down the price a little, but not a 1000 over invoice, that's TOO low! If you're seriously considering the C class and the 320, then the IS' price tag certainly won't dig too deep a hole in your wallet. The IS' main advantage lies in it's price, which is many thousands below comparably equipped C's and 320's. And in terms of weight, I don't think there are any luxury sports sedans (which is the class I think we're talking about, not sports compact sedan <I think that would be something like the Impreza> Don't quote me on the classification since I'm not too clear what the IS is...
) that weigh under 3000 lbs. For the 2000 328i, A4, and C280, they weigh 3256, 3263, and 3316 respectively while the IS weighs in at 3270. (weights are for automatics) So the IS isn't that heavy in comparison, although in the grand scheme of things, it is quite heavy. The luxury options you want will hopefully come in 2002, but who needs GPS anyway? If you travel a lot, I understand, but I personally don't get lost too often in search of my house... when I first moved in, I did... but now it's not *that* big a problem...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
shadoh6
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing