Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm starting to not want it anymore and move on to something that makes more sense. Even BMWs with manual transmission run about 7k on the median side. I am looking every day, you don't have an idea that's literally what I do every day coming home from work and once every weekend. I'm searching at every inch of the internet. I have enough money to buy a 100k car, I want something older since new cars are boring and majority lack a manual with 4 doors. I went on many different forums asking for opinions, which is how I formulate what I am willing to pay for the kind of condition they're in, like a car collector. I'm not wasting your time, if you think I am then don't participate.
First I want to make it clear everything I'm about to say is meant to be in a calm and friendly tone.

I think you have the correct idea now. When I was searching for my IS300, I also considered a Supra. Anyone can tell you those cars are "overpriced" on the used market, but that is just what the market values them at. I thought I was getting better bang for my buck with an IS300 considering it was newer, otherwise somewhat similar, probably more luxurious, and half the price for comparable condition etc. If the manual IS300 is more valued on the used market than what can be considered "reasonable", as everyone said, its because many people want one, and there isn't a huge stockpile of them.

I definitely paid more than a person who didn't care about this specific car would, and an excellent example of that is how much more the manuals demand than a comparable automatic. Nobody would tell you the AE86 Toyota GTS hatchback in manual is good value for money but there is plenty of people willing to pay what most consider an unreasonably high price for it.

Also consider an unmolested manual IS300 is known for being extremely reliable with reasonably priced parts for repair (if and) when necessary. That alone makes me prefer it over many other cars I was also considering, and why I ruled out BMW. I paid a little on the high side for it and fully aware, but thats the sacrifice I made to make sure I secured it when I saw it listed for sale. Have had it 5 years now and despite having brake sound issues now, I'm VERY satisfied with it, simply because it is exactly what I wanted! Would do it again!

FYI I paid $11k for mine back in 2014 for a pretty much bone stock, clean IS300 manual with 87k. Just as a point of reference, and because its yet another excuse to talk about my lovely car. :grin:

Keep in mind it was EXACTLY what I wanted. Blue with black (full) leather interior. In my mind it was a good deal, and many agree with me, hence the high used market value.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Speaking of BMW, I was considering an e92 335i for a long while and decided against it due to the potential maintenance and reliability issues. They are very capable and well engineered cars, but as with most aging German vehicles they need money to keep them going.

Meanwhile a 1IS might need a pair of $20 balljoints and an $80 timing belt and it will keep running strong for another 12+ years lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Speaking of BMW, I was considering an e92 335i for a long while and decided against it due to the potential maintenance and reliability issues. They are very capable and well engineered cars, but as with most aging German vehicles they need money to keep them going.

Meanwhile a 1IS might need a pair of $20 balljoints and an $80 timing belt and it will keep running strong for another 12+ years lol
This is exactly why I want an IS300 instead of a 4 door BMW. Meanwhile, I get roasted from BMW/Mercedes/Audi fanboys for saying their car has maintenance and reliability issues on Reddit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found 5 manuals in my area pretty much full bone stock, Black on Black (2), Black on Tan, Charcoal Grey on Black, Silver on Black, for 4000USD to 7000USD with 120mi to 296mi - I will grab one or all and can drive 'em down to you for a fee of course....... They are all in KMs, its an easy swap to MIs.

There's a couple older M3 and M5s too..... If you do go BMW I can give you advice on how to tear the entire V8 engine apart to replace 50$ plastic chain guides every 50000Mi or replacing the L4/L6 Vanos seals and/or all the hard plastic cooling system every 80000Mi.

From Ontario Canada

·
Registered
890 Posts
Currently, the going rate for a fairly clean, manual IS300 is $5-7k. You might have to travel to find one. Cars that have been up north may have some rust, some damage. The supply of clean, unmolested IS300s (let alone manuals) is shrinking. The car is, at the youngest, 14 years old, and it wasn't mass produced like the domestic models you mentioned. If you really want one, find a clean one with the options you want and buy it. You won't be able to forever.

While clean IS300s are getting harder to find, so are owners willing to pay those "premium" prices. So if you find one and you think the price is too high, come with a reasonable offer and a smart seller will take you up on it.

The parts market for the IS300 is also drying up fast. There are next to zero, if not zero, companies actively producing aftermarket parts (even Megan and Godspeed have pretty much called it quits). It's getting harder and harder to find OEM parts. If you're already hesitant about paying the "premium" for a clean manual IS300, you might not love the market, and you might want to consider one of those domestic cars you mentioned. Having said that, the IS is a helluva car to drive. For me, the driving experience is worth staying on shrinking ground. It's slower than some other cars of its time, and it's slower than cars of today, but it's special in its own right.

FYI: the IS250 is garbage. Lots of well-documented carbon build-up issues. Plus, they're just not as fun. They're pretty gutless. The 350 is better, but still not overly amazing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The parts market for the IS300 is also drying up fast. There are next to zero, if not zero, companies actively producing aftermarket parts (even Megan and Godspeed have pretty much called it quits).
I can attest to this. Yonaka, one of the few brands that offers a few parts for our cars is making small batches of their offering for us. It was hell trying to get their axle back muffler sent to me. They did however stock up on those axle backs, as well as their "high flow" radiator. Of course I would never recommend their coil-over offering, despite it's price point.

I will say, there are still some companies that should remain relevant for the foreseeable future. Such as Figs, and Driftmotion. I believe Seibon will still sell us their hoods and trunk lid, among other body components. There's finishing lines if you want to do an ABS relocation. And Eibach still makes the thicker sway bars (highly recommend)

Then there are things that should stick around for awhile, like ECU's. Those can be interchangeable, like AEM's offering for example.

So it doesn't look like all hope is lost. But you'll need to act fast on certain parts. I was part of the handful of people that picked up eBays last stock of Megans suspension H brace that didn't cost $800-$1600

·
Registered
754 Posts
The parts market for the IS300 is also drying up fast. There are next to zero, if not zero, companies actively producing aftermarket parts (even Megan and Godspeed have pretty much called it quits). It's getting harder and harder to find OEM parts.
this is the most comical thing ive read on on here recently (and also incorrect). here are companies still 'actively' producing parts for the IS300:

Figs
Xcessive
Battle Version
Megan/Godspeed

I could add even more, but ill just keep it to the MFGs who have multiple offerings for the IS300. I also have no problem sourcing OEM stuff if needed. of course we dont have 240-level product support, but who wants one of those shitboxes anyways?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
this is the most comical thing ive read on on here recently (and also incorrect). here are companies still 'actively' producing parts for the IS300:

Figs
Xcessive
Battle Version
Megan/Godspeed

I could add even more, but ill just keep it to the MFGs who have multiple offerings for the IS300. I also have no problem sourcing OEM stuff if needed. of course we dont have 240-level product support, but who wants one of those shitboxes anyways?
:frown2:

41 - 51 of 51 Posts