21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pick two:

-cheap
-low mileage
-stock/unmolested/clean title

Mine was cheap and stock, but it had over 200k, needed some TLC and a lot of overdue maintenance. I didn't care since I do all my own work and was planning on modifying the car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't say it in that spirit though.

What I'm saying is.....if you really want something you go out and get it. If you are worried about paying what the market deems a fair price then you really do not want it all that much. If you are just tight on money, it's cool, but then you might just have to look at something more within your budget. If it NEEDS to be an IS300 it may be an auto. If it NEEDS to be a manual it may not be an IS300. I guess I just don't see the point in whining about something that you cannot do anything about.
Not tight on money at all, sellers just need to sell me a car at a reasonable price. I'll pay the manual tax, but it can't be overcharged. I had someone who was selling me a 160k mile car with neglect damages and he still wanted 10k for it. Sorry, I can find a better car on BaT.

Pick two:

-cheap
-low mileage
-stock/unmolested/clean title

Mine was cheap and stock, but it had over 200k, needed some TLC and a lot of overdue maintenance. I didn't care since I do all my own work and was planning on modifying the car.
In fact, I pick one: stock/unmolested/clean title. I really don't care about the miles on the car as long as every history is documented and the car is well looked after for. I have a good sizeable budget, as long as pricing is reasonable. 0 miles on the odometer? I'll pay close to MSRP. One owner car? I'll pay more. One history of accident? Sorry, price for me drops a bit. No history of accident? I give the seller more.

Simple. Sell me a stock unmolested clean car, I'll pay the fair price.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Simple. Sell me a stock unmolested clean car, I'll pay the fair price.
It's not that simple. While YOU get to choose what a fair price is to YOU; you don't get to choose what "the market" thinks is a fair price. You do, however, get to choose whether or not to buy.

Based on your comments so far, it doesn't seem like both you and the market agree on the value of these cars.

But, there's hope! Keep your eyes peeled and jump on one where the seller doesn't know "the market" and prices the car according to NADA or KBB, which undervalue these cars significantly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's not that simple. While YOU get to choose what a fair price is to YOU; you don't get to choose what "the market" thinks is a fair price. You do, however, get to choose whether or not to buy.

Based on your comments so far, it doesn't seem like both you and the market agree on the value of these cars.

But, there's hope! Keep your eyes peeled and jump on one where the seller doesn't know "the market" and prices the car according to NADA or KBB, which undervalue these cars significantly.
uhm yeah, already took a look at KBB and NADA. I'm willing to pay 30% of what it says on those sites or more. I even put the criteria as excellent (3% of cars) and low miles. Yet the market jacks up the price by 70%-130%.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Not tight on money at all, sellers just need to sell me a car at a reasonable price. I'll pay the manual tax, but it can't be overcharged. I had someone who was selling me a 160k mile car with neglect damages and he still wanted 10k for it. Sorry, I can find a better car on BaT.
Pretty generic answer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Pretty generic answer.
Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not going to lowball anyone who's going to sell me their car. I'm more than fair, given that I am willing to pay manual tax or drift tax or whatever tax you guys want to call it, just like new car dealerships overpricing their MSRP priced cars and call it "market adjustment". Just wait for that to happen when the new Supra came out, just like when the BRZ limited edition came out or when the Kia Stingers came to the US market. In fact, it's still happening to the new Civic Type Rs.

Selling me a beat up, riced to hell, high mileage car that costs 2x more than a clean, unmolested, low miles, stock automatic car screams greed and "I know what I got." I'm sorry, but whoever pays that much for that kind of condition of a car I feel sorry for them. That won't even fly if you attempt to post that kind of car on Bring a Trailer. Might as well buy a riced out Civic or BRZ/86. Mods shouldn't increase value of your car most of the time. Try doing that with your insurance company when they total your car out, I guarantee you that they will not pay you more than what KBB and NADA says, and they are basing your car on this stupid site called "CCC".

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not going to lowball anyone who's going to sell me their car. I'm more than fair, given that I am willing to pay manual tax or drift tax or whatever tax you guys want to call it, just like new car dealerships overpricing their MSRP priced cars and call it "market adjustment". Just wait for that to happen when the new Supra came out, just like when the BRZ limited edition came out or when the Kia Stingers came to the US market. In fact, it's still happening to the new Civic Type Rs.

Selling me a beat up, riced to hell, high mileage car that costs 2x more than a clean, unmolested, low miles, stock automatic car screams greed and "I know what I got." I'm sorry, but whoever pays that much for that kind of condition of a car I feel sorry for them. That won't even fly if you attempt to post that kind of car on Bring a Trailer. Might as well buy a riced out Civic or BRZ/86. Mods shouldn't increase value of your car most of the time. Try doing that with your insurance company when they total your car out, I guarantee you that they will not pay you more than what KBB and NADA says, and they are basing your car on this stupid site called "CCC".
One man's piece of $$$$ is another man's gold. He who has the gold makes the rules.
You can offer, but does not mean you will get your way. Sometimes you must pay to play.

·
Registered
42 Posts

So what exactly is the point of this thread?

You're unwilling to pay the market price for a clean manual IS and you're surprised you can't find something in your price range?

If you want the car, pay for it. If you don't, then compromise. But making forum threads whining about how optioned out 15-20 year old cars in good condition are hard to find is kind of redundant. We all know that well-kept manual IS300s are uncommon and getting rarer by the day, so you have to pay a little extra for it. Supply and demand.

And FYI, KBB and NADA are very very wrong.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So what exactly is the point of this thread?

You're unwilling to pay the market price for a clean manual IS and you're surprised you can't find something in your price range?

If you want the car, pay for it. If you don't, then compromise. But making forum threads whining about how optioned out 15-20 year old cars in good condition are hard to find is kind of redundant. We all know that well-kept manual IS300s are uncommon and getting rarer by the day, so you have to pay a little extra for it. Supply and demand.

And FYI, KBB and NADA are very very wrong.
Honestly don't mind paying a premium, but if I do get in an accident, insurance will most likely go off KBB or NADA, not the REAL market price as you're seeing now. You see where I'm getting at. It happened to me before, I had a nice old Lexus that looked like it came off the showroom because I detailed it every 2 weeks. Basically I babied it. When I got rear ended, the insurance totaled it and the payout was lowball. Since the accident, that's why I'm in the market for the IS. Particularly the first gen IS because I have a fond for them. I can easily find a second gen IS250 manual that isn't riced out and well kept. In fact, one was being sold at my local CarMax lot, pricing was fair. Pricing for the IS300 manual is on an overinflated value; at that price point, I rather get a Mustang, Camaro, or BRZ/86 for a much better deal and even below my budget.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Honestly don't mind paying a premium, but if I do get in an accident, insurance will most likely go off KBB or NADA, not the REAL market price as you're seeing now. You see where I'm getting at. It happened to me before, I had a nice old Lexus that looked like it came off the showroom because I detailed it every 2 weeks. Basically I babied it. When I got rear ended, the insurance totaled it and the payout was lowball. Since the accident, that's why I'm in the market for the IS. Particularly the first gen IS because I have a fond for them. I can easily find a second gen IS250 manual that isn't riced out and well kept. In fact, one was being sold at my local CarMax lot, pricing was fair. Pricing for the IS300 manual is on an overinflated value; at that price point, I rather get a Mustang, Camaro, or BRZ/86 for a much better deal and even below my budget.
It sounds to me like you aren't ready for an IS300. If you'd rather get a Mustang, Camaro, or BRZ, for 12k instead of a mint IS300, then you definitely aren't ready. I overpaid a bit for mine. I was willing to because I understood that the platform demanded it. Most other people on this forum, I've observed, have been in the game for a while and have their own experiences.

If you think that a mint IS300 is comparable to a Mustang, or Camaro?

·
Registered
754 Posts
i was able to find a bone stock one in the bay for 7k in under 2 minutes. im not sure what the point of this thread is, but it just sounds like a whole bunch of noise to me.

based off your response from my PM, you seem picky. there is nothing wrong with that, but be prepared to wait. i waited 6 months looking for a LS430 before i finally found my car.

fractional linked you a manual sportdesign in WA state on CL on your WTB thread. its expensive, but you claim to have money (despite claiming these cars are 'inflated)'. did you reach out to that person?

keep looking. this isnt that hard. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Pricing for the IS300 manual is on an overinflated value; at that price point, I rather get a Mustang, Camaro, or BRZ/86 for a much better deal and even below my budget.
Over-inflated?

Have you seen the prices on air-cooled 911s?!?!

Over inflated or not, doesn't change the fact that if you want one, you'll need to stroke a big fat check.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
For those that don't believe me... Far too easy to find a 2nd gen IS250 manual transmission at a reasonable price. They're even low miles and all of them are stock! All of these cars fit my budget.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d/west-covina-2006-black-lexus-is-speed/6900139472.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/san-jose-lexus-is250/6898697689.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/sacramento-2007-lexus-is-250-top-for/6896821217.html
https://reno.craigslist.org/ctd/d/roseville-2011-lexus-is-financing/6901172204.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/fremont-2008-lexus-is250-6-speed-manual/6898797638.html
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ctd/d/corona-2007-lexus-is-250-1st-time/6879954111.html
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/broomfield-2006-lexus-is250-6-speed/6891587941.html
https://nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/d/madison-2006-lexus-is250-6-speed/6896476915.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/d/rockville-centre-2007-is-speed-manual/6883525818.html
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/d/ashland-mechanic-specialvery-rare-2008/6893387460.html
https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/ctd/d/honolulu-2006-lexus-is-financing/6883990001.html
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/768536391/overview/?aff=atempest&CMP=atempest
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/770988879/overview/?aff=stemp2&CMP=stemp2
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/770639383/overview/?aff=stemp2&CMP=stemp2
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/758386018/overview/?aff=stemp2&CMP=stemp2

·
Registered
754 Posts
For those that don't believe me... Far too easy to find a 2nd gen IS250 manual transmission at a reasonable price. They're even low miles and all of them are stock! All of these cars fit my budget.
who cares? you want a manual is300.

im starting to think you either arent looking hard enough, dont have money, or just want to waste all of our time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
who cares? you want a manual is300.

im starting to think you either arent looking hard enough, dont have money, or just want to waste all of our time.
I'm starting to not want it anymore and move on to something that makes more sense. Even BMWs with manual transmission run about 7k on the median side. I am looking every day, you don't have an idea that's literally what I do every day coming home from work and once every weekend. I'm searching at every inch of the internet. I have enough money to buy a 100k car, I want something older since new cars are boring and majority lack a manual with 4 doors. I went on many different forums asking for opinions, which is how I formulate what I am willing to pay for the kind of condition they're in, like a car collector. I'm not wasting your time, if you think I am then don't participate.

Oh and btw, I know that you posted to sell your car to at least 3 different forums all on 3 different names. That's how through I am with searching for my car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like you're getting impatient. I searched for a black/black manual for about a year on and off before finding mine. I even left a note on one that I saw parked at my workplace but never got a response.

The car I bought was the perfect car was looking for..stock, unmolested black/black manual LSD for $3,500. The original owner had the window sticker and a stack of maintenance receipts. The car did have 200k and needed some TLC, but the owner really didn't know what he had. He was clearly confused when guys were offering him more money as I was flying up to get it.

The deals are out there, you just have to wait. That's just how it is with this car.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts