Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that most publications rate the is's gas milage at 20/23. I was expecting better stats from a 3liter 6. I noticed that these cars(with similar hp or more) posted below all get better gas mileage. I know that the is doesn't have a manual yet, and that will improve g/m a lil.
other cars

CL type S 20/28 260hp
Maxima SE 21/29 227hp
Corvette 19/28 V8 385 hp!!!!!

Does the fact that is has an inline 6 effect g/m negatively. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You're not getting a response because this topic has been beaten and flogged to death already.

Search the archives on "gas mileage". That will keep you busy for days.

Most of the responses have been associated with the gearing of the car. The consensus is we all wish it was better but knew what we were getting into when we bought the car.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Oh well, I will rehash anyways:

Actually it is more like 18/23 not (20/23)

It is still somewhat of a mystery why it is that bad, but basic reasons are:

1> Front engined-rear wheel drive hurts fuel economy (when comparing to CL-S and Maxima)
2> Rear-end (differential) gearing is more aggressive than the Lexus GS300.
3> Automatic transmission hurts fuel economy (so don't make the mistake of trying to compare it to a manual trans competitor).

Still, I think Lexus did something wrong considering that a comparable BMW 3 Series (like 328i or 330i) has maybe 3-4 more highway MPG with similar performance and features.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Thats the "aggressive" rear end gearing at work...

I bet the IS300 in 5th gear at 70mph would respond almost as well as the 'vette in 5th at 70mph if you jumped on the gas.

Even with the Corvette's big, powerfull v8, it has to be way down on power at 1200rpms.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I wonder if a ECU mod would help on the mileage problem. I love the car and all but I wish it had better mileage. Yea, yea, I knew about this when I bought the car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It does seem like the IS has poor milage. My 3.2L in-line six gives 19/26. But then again I have a 5-speed manual, but engine is rated at 240hp.

Rick Kim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts