Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by the Lexus dealership on the way to running errands and I saw a Black IS300 w/16inch wheels for just over $31K. I'm assuming that was stripped, without power seats, sunroof...etc. Then I looked at the cloth seats and didn't think they looked too nice with a car of that caliber. I think the Leather interior package gives the best of both worlds. Gives you the style and feel of leather, plus the traction so you don't slide around (with that suede like material). I wonder why anyone would choose the cloth interior...
Anyways while I was there I saw two beauties.. A loaded SBM and a gorgeous black one with graphite wheels (really nice polished look to the wheels).
Eric...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've been debating this option myself for a long time. I have kids and don't want to stick them in the back seat on a hot day and fry them. However, the only way to get LSD is with the leather included. Sort of like a catch 22. What do you guys think, leather or not?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Get the leather. The Escaine (ultraseude) does not get hot to the touch the way leather does.

Why would anyone want to spend 30K+ and not spend the extra money for the leather?

------------------
cardinal
'01 Silver/Black
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17"

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah - I was out driving!

===============================

OK - I am the "odd duck here".

I basically got a fully loaded IS300
(LSD, moonroof, graphite polished wheels)
but with cloth seats (as a special order).

I love the cloth...

1> I have owned Toyotas with cloth and leather seats before and the cloth has always held up much better in the long run.
2> Cloth does feel cooler in summer
3> Cloth does feel warmer in winter
4> I like the manual seat controls since I am the only driver of this car.
5> I didn't want the weight and reliability concerns of all those seat motors.
6> I can easily reach under and around my seats (unlike people who say that sunglasses and change fall into a "black hole" under their power seats)
7> Leather can develop "spidering" (little cracks)
8> The cloth is very grippy (even more than the "UltraSuede")
9> I saved $1705!!!!!!!
10> In other countries (e.g. Japan, England, Australia) cloth in entry-Luxury cars (for example BMW 3 series) is far more common.

The big downside is reduced resale value, but I plan to keep this car forever...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW TEG! I think that's plenty enough reasons why cloth was better for you. I guess to each his own and both have their advantages. Do any Japanese car manufacturers offer a Leatherette or is that just a European thing? I think that's a good money saving and cow hide sparing alternative to leather as well and that's what my sister opted for on her A4 2.8 Quattro. TEG, considering the fact that you're talking about the longevity of power seat motors, I imagine that you'll probably keep your IS for a LONG time. I wonder whether opting for cloth would hurt its resale value considering most buyers would prefer leather.
Eric....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Two more questions:
  1. Does the ivory cloth interior look as good as a the leather?
  2. Does the IS even have ivory cloth interior?
The IS I test drove was green w/black cloth interior. The others has ivory leather interior. I've never seen the cloth seats in ivory.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The cloth interior only comes in black with some little gray "random stripe accents" along the seatbacks.

There is NO ivory cloth.

==========================================
Some dealers told me that they have a hard time selling used cloth interior Lexus models...

Yes, I plan to keep the car forever.
Other people who are leasing, or plan to sell the car used at good resale value have less reasons to consider cloth.

I didn't want to start a "save the cows" debate, but I guess I don't mind that I am sitting on man-made materials rather than dead animal skin.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Cuz not everyone has the money to spend on leather, which may not be all that important to them. Especially if they put in aftermarket seats. Why pay more for something that will get thrown out anyway?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by HIBBoyScott:
Cuz not everyone has the money to spend on leather, which may not be all that important to them. Especially if they put in aftermarket seats. Why pay more for something that will get thrown out anyway?
I understand HIBBOYSCOTT, but I was under the assumption that if you didn't get leather that you couldn't get the other options associated with that particular package.
Eric....

[From TEG:
If you get cloth then you cannot get the following:
1> Ivory color
2> Homelink
3> Power seats
4> Wood trim

but (by special order) you can get other options like moonroof, graphite wheels, LSD, etc.

*but* many dealers don't want the hassle of doing special ordered cars... ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited September 22, 2000).]

·
Registered
272 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
...There is NO ivory cloth...
That settles it for me. I guess I'm buying leather. I'll just have to use whatever my wife is driving during the summer so the kids don't suffer.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Oh...well then...if you want the options and your dealer won't special order for you...get the leather then. There isn't much of a choice here in HI. Over here we only have 1 Lexus/Toyota dealer...good deal for them, bad for customer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts