Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why does the interior/exterior light flashes..when my bass is poundin?

could it be not enough power for my amp or something??

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
You're probably sucking up all the juice from the rest of the system. Maybe you should invest in those things that store up the energy (I forget what they're called) for the big bass hits.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
yeah.. get some big 1 farad rockford fosgate caps... that'll take care of your juice problem.

------------------
Marlon
IS300 (white)
loaded w/o LSD

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I went with a moderate power (100W) amp, but a more effecient subwoofer, so I don't have any power draw problems on my system.

·
Registered
187 Posts
TEG,

You have any pics of your sub?

[From TEG: Soon - very soon - give me about 3 more days... ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the response...i called the audio place that installed my amp and they told me over the phone that it could be the battery..or the woofer is "clipping" (gonna be blown) ....hmm? im having them check it out on Friday...

what does those capacitors or fosgate cap do? how do they work?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe your amp is drawing too much current, try using the Optima battery. The cap is like a reservior of power for the amp. Your cap draws power from battery (not that much), and then it stores it in the cap. When the amp need alot of power to push the sub, it will drain it from the cap instead of the battery.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Originally posted by DYSFUNCTIONAL:
regarding the other thread "subwoofer gallery" whats that blueish tube? is that the capacitor?
Yes, the blue tube is my capacitor. In my case it is a 1.0F capacitor. The rule of thumb for figuring out how large of a cap to buy is that you need 1.0F for every 1000W of total power that your system has. So, if your amp is less then 500W, get a 0.5F cap, 500-1000W, use 1.0F, 1000-1500, use a 1.5F, etc.

And yes, as described above, a capacitor will store power for you so that your amp doesn't draw such high spikes from your car's system all at once. Without one you may certainly experience dimming lights when you're really cranking it.

Rob

------------------
2001 IS300
Spectra Blue Mica/Ivory
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17" wheels
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L, QuadraDrive, UpCountry
Patriot Blue, Fully loaded

1 - 12 of 12 Posts