Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always thought that shocks dont change ride height, only springs
But i have also read that people with Ltuned and stock shocks have a different hight to people with Ltuned and Bilsteins or Konis
Why is this?

Reason im asking is the rear of the car is a bit too high relative to the front for my liking, and i was thinking if i got some shocks this might help a little?

TIA

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I took a look at your pics. I might be upgrading to some Bilsteins pretty soon, maybe 2 weeks from now. If I do Ill have some before and after's for ya. Because I got the eibachs on right now with stock shocks. I know what you mean about the back. Even though the gap is the same, it looks bigger on the back wheel. I can get 2 fingers on all my wheels on level ground, but still the back looks higher.

see pic from the overexposed series

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Also keep in mind that some people like that lower in the back look. But in those cases where you get it nice and low in the back, as soon as you get 1 or 2 people back there you might get too low. where as now you can get 1 person back there and be perfect. this happened to me when I took 2 friends for a ride. I got out and had them still sitting in the car, one in front and one in back. The back was perfect. I've seen people with the low riding back with 1 or 2 people back there and its that sqwat look. doesn't matter if you never drive with peeps though.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
This is my car lowered with L-Tuned (Eibach) springs and Bilstein shocks. However, I don't think that picture had fully settled springs.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
uberchuckie said:
This is my car lowered with L-Tuned (Eibach) springs and Bilstein shocks. However, I don't think that picture had fully settled springs.

Dude, how many fingers can you get in there? With my car on stock wheels, I had 2 1/2 to 3 fingers pretty much all around.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the same setup. Just got it installed a month ago. In the front, I use to be able to put four fingers. Now its 1 1/2 in the front. The rear was four fingers before and now it's two fingers. Hope that sorta helps you out.

-Patrick

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks thedon and uberchuckie

ATM I can fit 2 fingers (tightly) in the front and 3 fingers (loosly) in the back. It's kinda weird how the rear is higher than the front
Dunno if its the stock shocks. That might explain why changing them would help level out the car. Either that or get some Konis with height and ride adjustments

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Oh and the question in the topic... they change ride height because of the position of the spring perches. On the bilsteins, they are welded in a different position relative to the stock shocks. Just like coilovers have adjustable height by using threaded perches so you can change their position.

·
Registered
429 Posts
all i can say is go with H&R's if u want a nice ass drop and then get some Koni's. :)

dut, im debating whether i should go with Koni's and my H&R's. or just get some coils? im still debating over this and also take into consideration im making a show car so judges like coils i guess, whats ur thoughts?
-Ramin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.