Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a little off topic, but just reading about the other Supercharger thread in this forum, and some past thinking makes me wonder. Plus there are more BB users in here.

If I was in a world where all cars were naturally aspirated, I would roll over laughing at a man who said he could drive a compressor with exhaust gasses.

Though more credible, yet still highly doubtful would be the idea of running it off the crank pulley.

Why is it so difficult to just have a big battery, a HUGE alternator, and just run an electrically driven compressor, with a computer to control boost? Is that so hard? Compressor blades are very light, even at a modest 3-4 lbs of boost, gains would well be worth it...

And it can be a seperate electrical system altogether, and not even worry about draining the stock battery.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hmm, sounds fun. But with current technology it might be better to not use a compressor but make it into a Hybrid system. Like the Toyota Prius and the Honda Insight.

Have a NA engine and strengthen it with a battery run motor. It would be much more environmentally friendly than boosting the engine.

And unless a revolutionary battery is invented (a fuel cell battery or something), your idea might make the car incredibly heavier than conventional turbo or superchargers, the power to weight ratio may worsen to something of a Mac truck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
TEG has mentioned an electric super charger before. I don't know the web-site off hand, but if you do a search, I'm sure you will find it.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
why not use di-lithimum crystals and forget about the electric system all together. I've seem couple cases where this worked great and one of them happends to be.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hey F=MA, are you getting an IS?

------------------
98 Accord EX V6 coupe
AEM Intake, Comptech Headers, Random Tech high-flow cat, GReddy dual MX exhaust, BLTI Carbon Fiber Ignition cables, eibach springs, Axis wheels with Nittos, Wings West Spoiler.
15.1 @ 92 mph
2001 Lexus IS300 (Solar Yellow)
Coming soon: 12 second timeslips with the IS (my new all out drag car!)

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
There's a company called ZET that makes an electric supercharger. It comes up now and then on the Miata forum. I think it's bogus.

------------------
Tony
'01 Stock Spectra Blue
'94 12psi Turbo Miata

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Accord-R: No... I've just sorta been an IS fan for a year or two. Found this place 9 month's ago, been in and outta here since.

I kinda had something more along the lines of a compressor capable of producing 10-15 psi boost, just like a roots, or centrifugal blower.

But nevermind, I got my answer elsewhere, thanx for the help though guys. I would have deleted this topic... but apparenly the server won't let me do that.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Actually...dilithium crystals are used to regulate the matter/anti-matter reaction that takes place in the warp core. Problem with using this system is that you need magnetic containment fields to hold the anti-matter and from preventing from obliterating normal matter.

OKAY! I admit it! I'm a closet Trekkie. So bite me.

Originally posted by Pimpee:
why not use di-lithimum crystals and forget about the electric system all together. I've seem couple cases where this worked great and one of them happends to be.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited January 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The eRam electric supercharger putting out about .5-1 psi boost is already putting a sizable load on the stock electrical system.

If you wanted to make big HP (with 6-10lbs boost like you find on typical belt driven superchargers) you would have to have a whole different battery, alternator and wiring to support an order of magnitude more current draw.

There are upsides and downsides to this:

Upside:
1> With a battery and an electric supercharger you can ask it to spool up right off the line (you are using the battery to store the power to run the S/C even if the engine is not revving very fast yet).

Downsides:
1> A bigger alternator, battery and wiring will add alot of weight to the car.
2> It will be less efficient since you are losing some power in the mechanical->electrical->mechanical conversion.

The eRam is a neat toy that can give you a little boost, but to get serious you really do want a belt driven (or even crank driven like on the Previa S/C) supercharger.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
F=ma, this is not a new technology, in fact I have seen it work and work great. The one I saw was on a CBR600-F2 engine mounted in Cal Poly Pomona's FSAE car. I think what they did is took a Garret Compressor (maybe a T4), drive that with a electric motor, and then use an alternator from a GM car (don't remember the model) to generate the electricity needed for the supercharger. They were able to generate quite a bit of power with that, and this is for real because everyone at FSAE last year have seen it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts