Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now the title is a bit negative, just wanted to get your attention. I was just thinking the other night how all the big power IS's on the site...are still running pretty sub par in the 1/4. The fastest ive seen documented is what...11.0's? With 700 whp on tap....that has to be a traction issue?

I know the car is not all about quarter mile times, its a great all around car and I love mine even though its not boosted...im just failing to see why its so hard to get the car to hook and go fast in the 1/4. I have a 62 impala, which is about a thousand more pounds than IS, and it only has about 550 whp...and im running 11.40's....gearing is also set up for 1/4...but regardless..im failing to see why a decently powered IS is not in the low 10's or even high 9's.

whats up?

·
Registered
635 Posts
rear suspension is not made for big power, to much twist and flex.

^ when combined with some sticky-ickies you got wheel hop..... thats when shit breaks. call a tow truck

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
^ exactly the IS was never meant to be a drag car to make it such you mights as well get a strange 9 incher and throw it back there powered by the 2JZ backed up by a turbo 400 tranny. but then you just have a drag car

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
comparing:

9 second civic w/ 700HP(maybe 8 seconds)
11 second IS300 w/ 700HP

power to weight ratio. no matter how much weight u lose:

gutted boosted IS300 < gutted hatch w/ boosted K or B series

just an example. but correct me if im wrong?

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
F that...

buy a Supra :p
If you can find one for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Like mentioned above, the IS is not the best 1/4 mile car, but from a rolling start on the highway, there are some wicked-fast cars on this website.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
doodlebug said:
Like mentioned above, the IS is not the best 1/4 mile car, but from a rolling start on the highway, there are some wicked-fast cars on this website.

yuuuup, the IS is a "up top" car

i remember watching a vid clip on here...
haha "up top baby up top!!"
anyone remember what i am talking about?

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
K3RRY said:
yuuuup, the IS is a "up top" car

i remember watching a vid clip on here...
haha "up top baby up top!!"
anyone remember what i am talking about?

hell yea man. That was DT yellin out for Fairuza back in the day...

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I just think there's not too many boosted is300's going to the track that often.......there's is300's on here that have done 10.6's with less than 575whp. It's all drivers here, nothing else. The car is capable of good numbers.....

Traction is a huge issue which will be overcome with driver experience and electronics......

Where are the 700rwhp civic hatches in street trim doing 9's? I wanna see that.....

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Malekreza11 said:
hell yea man. That was DT yellin out for Fairuza back in the day...

yup, I was at the track that day when it happened too...

great video...I got it somewhere....hmmmm

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
xencloud said:
I just think there's not too many boosted is300's going to the track that often.......there's is300's on here that have done 10.6's with less than 575whp. It's all drivers here, nothing else. The car is capable of good numbers.....

who's IS300 went 10.6 ? :suspiciou

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
don't remember the name, but it was like a year ago, maybe even more.......I'll try finding it, wasn't it fairuza or something? I thought there was a couple of cars already in the 10's, could be wrong though.......

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
ahhh not gonna waste my breath :)

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
xencloud said:
don't remember the name, but it was like a year ago, maybe even more.......I'll try finding it, wasn't it fairuza or something? I thought there was a couple of cars already in the 10's, could be wrong though.......
if was never proven...and he was well over 600 HP with nitrous the day it happened too....supposedly.....

·
Registered
557 Posts
What trap speed does your impala run with the 11.4x et? My point is, v8 cars make more torque down low and torque is what gets the car going and hence, better et's. Is300's don't make much torque stock, and when boosted they still don't below 3500rpm. This means unless you load the converter at or near boost, your not going to get a good 60 foot, 330 and that's exactly why is300's et high and mile an hour high.
Not one person has done the turbo 400 swap over to make it drag worthy and it's almost a crime to do so because is300's handle so good. Putting a 4k stall w/transbrake would make it worthless for anything but drag. That swap alone would probably net a full second reduction in ET though. A 130mph trap is definately good for low 10's. Im guessing your Impala does around 118-120mph with a 11.4x et, and maybe less if you got a big block. I would venture to say most 400rwhp and up is300's will walk that from a roll of 60mph and up.
Supra's have the same delemma, so having a supra would be no better. Most of the fastest supra's are t400's or powerglides.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts