Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is a 0-60mph test standard for cars? Where did the speed of getting to 60mph come from? Why not 80 or 90? or 0 - top speed?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Maybe 60 is a decent speed for all cars? I mean, all cars don't have the same top speed, so you can't compare those. Or maybe it is an average mph that people use daily?

Or it can actually mean something that I have no idea about.........which it problably does......like, back in the day, a King could walk 60 miles in 1 hour.... (thats how he became king) and therefore it became a standard... Kinda like the horsepower thing

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd imagine safety. I mean, I dont think it would fly too well with the powers that be if cars were exclaiming how quick they can get up to 90mph. The idea is to NOT have everyone speeding on the freeway.

Plus, a lot of REAL cheap/low powered cars top off at 80, so 60 is reachable by every auto.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Not to mention that the average speed on a givin freeway is usually 60, so getting on to the freeway and being able to merge easliy is something to consider if you live in a congested area. I think it was meant to measure the time it takes to get up to cruising speed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well the reason why they post 0-60 is because in other contries where they use the metric system they test their cars from 0-100kmph. And 100kmph translates to 60mph, so thats why they use 0-60.
hope that helps

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
i always thought 100 km/h = 62.5 mph....if u want to get technical... 100 kM / 1.6(conversion from km to miles) = 62.5 miles

arbitrary numbers...my theory is the freeway speed average....just a theory

[ August 15, 2001: Message edited by: scoot557 ]

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by scoot557:
arbitrary numbers...my theory is the freeway speed average....just a theory
But most people don't go from a dead stop (0)to freeway cruising speed (60) at any point in normal driving...

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
But most people don't go from a dead stop (0)to freeway cruising speed (60) at any point in normal driving...
You do if you live near 405 or I-5 in the Seattle area, as most of the ramps are metered.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Quite common here. It's where the on ramp has a stop and go light when traffic starts getting thick on the freeway at rush hour, the on ramps have a stop light before they merge into traffic, so it regulates the cars getting on to the congested freeway so they aren't all trying to merge at once into an already consumed freeway lane. Light changes every 5 sec or so, sometimes longer up to 10sec maybe.

·
Registered
55 Posts
People take 0-60 times a bit too seriously. Sometimes the numbers are misleading. For example if your top speed in second gear is 59mph, that will seriously affect your 0-60 time, due to the time lost in the 2-3 shift. Doesnt mean the car is any slower than a car that shifts into 3rd at exactly 60mph. Always look at gearing, weight, and aerodynamics when comparing 0-60, 1/4 mile, and top speeds.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
But 0-60 has been the standard for a while now. The metered lights onto the freeway is a new thing, right?
You are correct, although they have been around since mid eighties around here, now it seems they're at every on ramp. I don't think thats any reason why they use 60mph as the marker speed, I was just throwing things out there that may play a role.

If you look at old magazine test reports,
(eighties especially), you can see they used to test 0-70 alot, same as braking, from 70 - 0 instead of 60. Maybe it had smething to do with the gas crisis back in the late 70's when they lowered the speed limits to 55 or 60 overnight, and maybe magazine's started to use the newer speed limits for testing purposes. Just a guess.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I remember correctly, back in the 60's the maximum interstate speed was 60mph. State owned toll roads, like Florida's turnpike had a max of 70mph. Then along came Ralph Nader and the fuel crunch and the Feds mandated a maximum of 55mph period. That held until a) more efficient cars in the 90's and b) no evidence that speed alone kills.
Of course, old fart that I am, I may have just dreamed this all up!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts