Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My best friend and I are going on a cruise in April. We want to go on a Western Caribbean cruise, hopefully one that goes to Grand Cayman and/or Belize. Any suggestions? And has anyone been on a Costa cruise? Their ships look really nice.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've been on 3...and it was always the same ship and the same tour...I think its the Southern Carribean....Royal Carribean "Monarch of the Seas".....1 day at sea out, Antigua, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Martinique, Barbados, 1 day at sea in...left from Puerto Rico....its the best vacation in the world, and Royal is the only way to go...notice all these people getting sick ARE NOT on a Royal ship.....they are the cleanest, and treat you like a king...I would highly recommend

·
Registered
21,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That itinerary sounds awesome! The only thing is that since it ports out of Puerto Rico, the airfare is kind of expensive - like $500-600 from Chicago. We're trying to port out of Florida to save money. I'll check out Royal Caribbean though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
get an airfare included package from Royal...usually its a chartered flight on a major carrier with everyone going on the same cruise....don't go "cruise only"...then airfare, and port taxes i believe are not included.

·
Chocolate Goodness
34,363 Posts
BWN 7 said:
Went on 1 with my family, Carnival. Don't do Carnival, it's more of a family type.

As you were.
I've been on a couple cruises, one of them was the carnival "Fascination". I liked it very much, and I would say the opposite, it is NOT family oriented but more of a fun with friends theme. Many young people 18-30. I know there are different types of cruises with different themes. Carnival's "fun-ships" are just that. They are also lower in price, not bad IMO.

Royal Caribbean is great, the ships are a bit nicer and a bit more expensive. The Voyager of the Seas is massive, and very expensive, but it looks amazing. I was watching a documentary on the Travel channel a few days ago.

Whatever ship you go, bigger ships are usually better (from about 70,000 tons and up is good). This is not a measure of their weight but the water displacement (correct??).

Most cruise lines have Caribbean cruises going out of Miami, that won't be a problem. Websites like www.travelocity.com can give you a ton of info. Have fun.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I'm going on a cruise next week to the Bahamas. Majesty of the Seas from the Royal Carribean cruise line. I think we got a pretty good deal from our Liberty Travel agent. ~$450 for everything, airfare, tickets Oceanview stateroom, taxes (except drinks & tip). But we booked it back in July. I can't wait.

Oh yeah, I've been on a cruise before, but I was too young to remember.

-crontab -l

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
It just so happens that my mommy owns an agency and I have been on 30+ cruises or something like that...I know a lot about cruising and have been on many ships...

To begin with, the normal "western Caribbean" intinerary usually goes to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica and sometimes the cruise lines' own private island if they have one. I prefer this itinerary over the eastern or southern caribbean simply because of the variety of the islands...you have mexico, british (w/ mainly white people) and then there's jamaica. The eastern caribbean is nice though too...if it's your first time down there, none of this will make a difference to you...all of it is beautiful and they will all want to braid your hair :wink: .

As for cruise lines, Carnival isn't necessarily bad, it's definitely a different sort of crowd and I would say that the ships aren't as elegant. Royal Caribbean has nice big ships if that's what you are looking for. I prefer medium sized cuz big ships = more people to deal with and get annoyed with, but if you are looking to meet people then maybe that's something you want. Royal Caribbean is notorious for packing more guests on by having smaller cabins, just remember that. Of all the large cruise lines that are reasonably priced, I prefer Princess and Celebrity...the cabins are all decent sizes, the food and service is always excellent and the ships aren't as big but not too small either.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, let me know. I have only skimmed the top of all there is to cruising.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yes there is a lil problem with this cruise thing. Too many pple getting sick. I would refrain from goin on them for now.

That is all.

Carry on.

·
11,062 Posts
Isn't COSTA the line that has the toga parties?

I went on an Eastern Carribbean cruise with Celebrity...11 nights; 7 ports. It was great.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Oh man i have not been on a cruise but i really want to. I almost went on one this month, but some changes made it not happen. We were going to go on the 14 day cruise through the panama canal.
ltunedgirl- have you been on any of the ones that go through the PC? Also it goes to Costa Rica and some other cool ass places.
I will go on that one sometime though,, hopefully after the dihariah(sp)/vomit virus thing on the cruise ships has past.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
i wanna go on that alaskan cruise! Supposedly my gf's parents might take me with them for her graduation gift. God i hope they go hehe!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If you search on Autolabz, there's some good stuff:

"But if you see a carclub with the name of AUTOLABZ then that is my posse and we roll deep real deep feel us if ya hittin atl this weekend hopefully the rain wont be an issue! lol time to show off those rides and get at them chickens(girls)."

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Great Cruise Resource

This is a great website for prices, itineraries and cruise ship options.
http://www.vacationstogo.com/ticker.cfm?t=y

I've used this for research before booking cruises in the past, before going to a great agent, who usually beats any price I find. (if you're serious, let me know and I'll get you her email)

My personal favorite for the money is Celebrity. The food and service are very good. Of course Royal Caribbean, (Celebrity's sister company) is also good. As far as getting to Belize, I know Norwegian Cruise Lines is one of the lines that currently goes to Belize.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The hubby and I went on a western caribbean cruise for our honeymoon. We went to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. It was a blast, probably the best vacation I've ever had in my whole life. We were on the Carnival Inspiration that sailed out of New Orleans, so we got to spend a couple of nights eating crawfish and drinking on Bourbon street too.

As for the crowd on Carnival, I felt that it was mainly a younger crowd, at our dinner table they sat us with other young couples around our age (25-30). One of the guys was a kicker for the New Orleans Saints.

Just a tip, stay away from the Blackjack tables late at night. Too many dumb drunks screwing up the cards. You'll know it's time to leave when people start splitting 10's.

Probably the best website with information on all the different cruise companies and tips on what to do on each island: www.cruisecritic.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts