Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way back fr work heading s680 to san jose, doing alitle zig zag. Passing by an A4 2.8 the next thing I know, he was following me. "ok " i said to myself, moved to rite lane and wait for him to come up fr the left lane (leave middle open for lane change). When he got to where iam at we go at it... next thing i know hitting traffic ahead change to middle lane same thing swith to his lane and he was 2 cars lenght behind me reachin 100+. and traffic get the best of us we slow down doing about 65 all the way home.

The best part was i didn't use E-shift or M mode.
~

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm not surprised by this - the A4 is a slug. I beat my friend's A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic with a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Originally posted by cis300:
On the way back fr work heading s680 to san jose, doing alitle zig zag. Passing by an A4 2.8 the next thing I know, he was following me. "ok " i said to myself, moved to rite lane and wait for him to come up fr the left lane (leave middle open for lane change). When he got to where iam at we go at it... next thing i know hitting traffic ahead change to middle lane same thing swith to his lane and he was 2 cars lenght behind me reachin 100+. and traffic get the best of us we slow down doing about 65 all the way home.

The best part was i didn't use E-shift or M mode.
~

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
My guess is you ran in to an automatic, A4. Put a stick in that car and they're both running next to one another.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Exactly Brad, a stick shift A4 2.8 is running in the low 7's are far as 0-60 time (according some magazine publications). Audi's always running conservative with their quoted figures..
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
219 Posts
i thought S4 has 240 hp
and 5.5 sec on 0-60 with 6 speed.
i wonder how fast S4 can run 0-60 with automatic. just outta curiosity.
you know, IS300 only comes with AUTOMATIC for now. just to let you know.
i don't think Twin Turbo is needed.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Twin turbo setups aren't for max power. It's for quality power delivery. A large single turbo won't "just" keep up... you might see some "ricer Altezza lights".

Originally posted by Quattro Dude:
Your gonna need twin turbos to keep up with me my friend...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yep, if you look at the high output modified Supra and Skyline in Japan, they don't use twin turbo setup, they use the single turbo setup instead. Twin-turbo is for smooth power delivery, at least in most of today's twin turbo cars. An audi S4 will be no match for any car that decided to put in a T04 or similar size turbo and run at high boost. This does not have to be the IS300, but since we are in this topic, yeah, if it is done right, there is no way the stock S4 will catch up to a turbo IS300. You can try to race TurboIS when he has his car done, I would like to see exactly how fast that car is.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Don't you guys find it amazing that the tiptronic S4 at over 3700lbs weighs 20 lbs more than a GS400..... wow..
Eric...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why do you people always get into a "my dick is bigger" contest when someone presents you with the fact that one car is better than another. Stop speculating whether a made up single turbo is can beat a bi turbo s4. who cares. if you wanted speed you wouldnt be even posting on this board, you would be on some american car board, but guess what? you didnt buy an american car, you chose a japanese car or a german car. get over it.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
the turbo IS is not made up, there are few people on this board that has those setup in their car, either single or twin turbo. Even with the price of those turbo kits, the IS is still cheaper and more reliable than the S4. And you don't really have to speculate much about the performance of a 300+ RWD hp IS when comparing to the S4. I won't say the IS can beat the S4 by a large margin, but I would say that the IS can keep up with S4 without any problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts