Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yes. I have come to realize that being 18 with a $1300/month paycheck isnt the best, when you drive a Lexus.

$300/month car & $196/month insurance.

DSL & Cell Phone Bill -$100.
Gas -$200.

im nearly broke.

Well I guess its not only me, its a lot of us. There are a lot of us, young or old, that wish we could cut the corners and save every dollar we can.

Is there anyone out there who has the experience to run a DIY maintanece meet?

Things that could really save us some costly labor:

Radiator Drain/Refill.
Brake Fluid Flush(& SS Lines Install).
Tranny Fluid Flush and Refill.
Check Timing Belt.

thats almost like $700 right there.

Yes i DO KNOW, that there are several DIY threads. but im sure you didn't learn how to drive from reading a book, then being able to do it the way you do now. It would be VERY helpful.

If anyone is welcome to this idea and is willing to contribute to this, please let us know. A weekend with a couple maybe 2 or 3 experienced guys(Hiroshima, Edgy, 2TGEU, Sophiesleeps if you're still in town, IS JOE) who know what theyre doing, and then maybe some people who really want to learn these things can show up.

well its just a thought. but id like to see the response and turnout.

-Aaron :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
owww...i make just bout the same as you:lol:...but im 20 years old :confused: if i was gonna change my fluids i would be down to do a lil meet..but i still got some more miles to rack up to change them :cool:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
all the norcal IS drivers are old geezers....arent willing to help a "young thug" like me..hahahaha....

i want to learn how to do all that as welll....

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
If you guys are students, you can always take a course in automotive mechanics. I did when I was in college, and it helped a lot. (Just look at me now, ;) ). We also had lab days, and we could bring our own cars in to work on in groups. I did my 30K on my Accord for about $50.00. It was awesome.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Yo Aaron, have you been able to get off work earlier? lemme know, if you are free sat, im workin on my buds gsr, you can swing by and i'll help you out bro! but of course there is always sunday ;)

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
^^ Ahhh shizzle, snacks, brews and laughs at 2T's place. I'll be there my nizzle.

JAEohEN, but San Fran has so many other perks, like real food and a real night life haha.

B.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
JAEohEN said:
all the norcal IS drivers are old geezers....are arent willing to help a "young thug" like me..hahahaha....
Watch your mouth, son. :pissed: :p

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Flatline IS said:
If you guys are students, you can always take a course in automotive mechanics. I did when I was in college, and it helped a lot. (Just look at me now, ;) ). We also had lab days, and we could bring our own cars in to work on in groups. I did my 30K on my Accord for about $50.00. It was awesome.
i wish i could...the school i go to now has a toyota sponsored auto-tech program...but the classes are booked almost a full school year in advance...

JAEohEN, but San Fran has so many other perks, like real food and a real night life haha.
true....too bad im still not old enough to actually enjoy the night life...

Watch your mouth, son.
:flee:

·
Registered
478 Posts
awe c'mon jon! we dont have any love for you guys? ok man, next time i got ur dinner! and if i forget (i prolly will), call me on it! and besides, its called CITIBANK Student Visa Credit Card. just dont go eff it up early like i did.

as for ur fluids...man...ur on ur own. i just take it to the dealer...

rolo

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
awe c'mon jon! we dont have any love for you guys?
haha just playin...you guys are great! its actually the younger norcal drivers i cant enjoy being around...something about their whole "lets race" meets dont appeal to me...

·
Premium Member
26,324 Posts
lol, i think it's funny when people own a vehicle they can't "afford" to maintain. hood rich.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well damn i was barely 18 when i bought it from the deealership. picked it up 30 minutes after i first laid eyes on it. now all i have are headaches and empty pockets. but yeah francis. no hood yet, so i guess mainly just shocks springs and sways this saturday? i dont wanna overfill ur day tho cuz ur already workin on ur homie's GSR...those things are quick. well i'll give u a call later tonight. thanks man!

P.S. i just got quoted $550 for timing belt, waterpump, cylinder seals etc. and another $150 for radiator flush. im so dead.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
onyxaltezza said:
well damn i was barely 18 when i bought it from the deealership. picked it up 30 minutes after i first laid eyes on it. now all i have are headaches and empty pockets. but yeah francis. no hood yet, so i guess mainly just shocks springs and sways this saturday? i dont wanna overfill ur day tho cuz ur already workin on ur homie's GSR...those things are quick. well i'll give u a call later tonight. thanks man!

P.S. i just got quoted $550 for timing belt, waterpump, cylinder seals etc. and another $150 for radiator flush. im so dead.
Cylinder seals? wt...?

I could teach all you guys all this stuff easily, but the main issues for me are, time to do it all, and a place!

All this stuff is very easy really, except the timing belt and water pump on these cars a BUTT FUCKED UP! I HATE doing these car's water pump, mainly cause you have to take off the crank pulley bolt, which is held on at around 250ft-lbs!!!

Fluids are soooo simple, they at least made THAT easy on this car, although the oil filter is in a whore of a spot.

Maybe sometime soon we could set up a meet, somebody has to volunteer their pad, I'll bring tools, and every body else bring their shit.

Kane

·
Registered
678 Posts
onyxaltezza said:
So yes. I have come to realize that being 18 with a $1300/month paycheck isnt the best, when you drive a Lexus.
wow, I make 2100 a month. I just sold my IS300 and I felt like I couldnt afford a lexus LOL, maybe its because I buy a bunch of frivolous things. I'm downgrading to a rsx-s now, paying off a few bills; about to be completely debt free.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Haw? Being a starving student but trying to live above ones means?? Haha.

I feel you guys.

B -Starving student low pay worker, but happy as hell to be out of active duty.

cylinder seals
At 15K w/out new oil that should have gone, but thank God you pulled that on a 2JZ, most other cars that I can think of would crapped on you completely, and it wouldn't be just a seal problem.
(was talking to Steve once about when he worked at Longo, he saw a misshap were a customer took off in an IS with NO oil, drove on the freeway for a while until the CEL light came on, turned around, drove all the way back, and the block had servived).
Hail to the mighty cast iron 2JZ in all her Glory!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Kanine21 said:
Cylinder seals? wt...?

All this stuff is very easy really, except the timing belt and water pump on these cars a BUTT FUCKED UP! I HATE doing these car's water pump, mainly cause you have to take off the crank pulley bolt, which is held on at around 250ft-lbs!!!

Fluids are soooo simple, they at least made THAT easy on this car, although the oil filter is in a whore of a spot.

Maybe sometime soon we could set up a meet, somebody has to volunteer their pad, I'll bring tools, and every body else bring their shit.

Kane
very true! crank is a pain in da ass to take it out...i broke my 200 ft/lbs. torque wrench...had two used my 300 pounder. as 4 fluids it will be a breeze.i'm doing mine tomorrow and fixing my nephews gti too. ill be installing new brembo brakes.

joe

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
i could help with the brake stuff no prob, especially since i REALLY need to work on mine.

but last time i offered up my garage for a DIY meet, 7 people signed up and only 1 showed...

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dude ur in montebello...not that far id be down for SURE. i dont know how my brake fluid looks, as in what to look for to see if its good or bad, but i know its about to run real low. also i didnt do a brake flush because i know im bout to put in steel braided brake lines soon, so save the flush wfor when i install the SS lines...so who's down for this guys?? btw irv do u know how to put on SS lines?? its basically just changing the lines any other way right? then flushing it just normally?? thanks... =]

-Aaron

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
yeah aaron, i put on my on SS lines when i installed the supra brakes. i also have a pressure bleeder, so no need to pump the brakes!

if you're serious we can discuss a time to meet up.

i can change the oil, but i never bothered figuring out how to get the stupid filter out yet. looks like a damn maze to get the oil filter out of the engine compartment

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.