Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a car dealership and we recently got a new GS-300 in, needless to say as soon as I saw that was in our inventory I had to check it out and take it for a ride.:)

As I'm sure most of you guys know (I did not until I checked the car out), the GS's have heated and air-conditioned/cooled seats. Is there anyone that thinks they have the knowledge to swap the heating/cooling unit(s) from a new GS into our IS's? I would LOVE to have the cooled seats in the Summer since my car is GGP on Black, even though I have tints it still gets a little warm, and still, there is just about nothing cooler than having heated and air conditioned seats in a car.

For those who don't know/haven't seen, I think that there is some kind of ventilation system in the seat, because it feels like the GS blows cold air onto your nuts pretty much...I put my hand on the seat and it definitely felt like it was blowing cold air through the vents in the leather, not just some kind of cold unit in the seat.

I'm guessing that like I said earlier, it's just some kind of ventilation system that runs up into the seat and routes the cold air out through the vents in the leather. When I go back to work I will look underneath the seats to see if that's what it is...(didn't occurr to me while looking at it.)

So on to my next point...is anyone up to the task of thinking they have the knowledge/possibility of doing this to their car, then doing a write-up? I would attempt, but I am not electrically savvy in any way.

P.S. - Even though the IS is a small car, I wouldn't mind having those folding mirrors either...I'm sure that's less hard though than the seat swap...I'd assume it's just some kind of motor placed in the mirrors.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ya but what do new seats from a gs cost?
"The front seatbacks and cushions of the GS can be heated to one of three settings. In addition, with the ventilated front seats (standard on the GS 460 and available on the GS 350), you can select from three ventilation modes to circulate air through perforations in the leather trim."

I just copied that off of Lexus' website, so what I'm guessing is that there is a plumbing system routed from the dash, through the floor and into the seats to allow the seats to be ventilated. What I'm hoping, is that it's easy to get the plumbing (if that's how it works) retrofitted into our cars/seats. Maybe someone who works at a Lexus dealership can confirm how the ventilation system for the seats works by looking it up in a CAPS program or service manual...that would be the best way for us to find out. I would do it, but we have the car at our Chrysler dealership, I don't work at a Lexus dealership. :(

So, if it were just plumbed from the dash, through the floor, into the seats, I bet we could just purchase the ducting and retrofit it into our IS seats? That's what I'm hoping for at least.

(This is not to mention the GS buttons too, since the GS buttons swivel for heating/cooling and our IS buttons are only press-on/press-off.)

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
"The front seatbacks and cushions of the GS can be heated to one of three settings. In addition, with the ventilated front seats (standard on the GS 460 and available on the GS 350), you can select from three ventilation modes to circulate air through perforations in the leather trim."

I just copied that off of Lexus' website, so what I'm guessing is that there is a plumbing system routed from the dash, through the floor and into the seats to allow the seats to be ventilated. What I'm hoping, is that it's easy to get the plumbing (if that's how it works) retrofitted into our cars/seats. Maybe someone who works at a Lexus dealership can confirm how the ventilation system for the seats works by looking it up in a CAPS program or service manual...that would be the best way for us to find out. I would do it, but we have the car at our Chrysler dealership, I don't work at a Lexus dealership. :(

So, if it were just plumbed from the dash, through the floor, into the seats, I bet we could just purchase the ducting and retrofit it into our IS seats? That's what I'm hoping for at least.

(This is not to mention the GS buttons too, since the GS buttons swivel for heating/cooling and our IS buttons are only press-on/press-off.)
You'll have to swap the seats, not retrofit. Most seats have very dense foam in there, not conducive for blowing air through.

It may be worth taking apart a used seat off ebay or something, but I'm sure there is more than just duct work going to the GS seat. There is a lot more to this than meats the eye.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts