Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing replaces the real thing, but the E-shift is there in front of you. Who here actually uses it on a regular basis? I like to leave my car on 4th gear and cruise around instead of letting the car always shift onto 5th gear during the full auto mode. There's no real need to goto 5th gear in the city in my opinion. I find that there is a bit more sporty feel driving around this way when the balance point starts off at 4th gear rather than 5th gear. Of course you would get more power if you left it in 3rd, but I don't want to waste my gas...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
When I had my GS400, the only time I really used the E-shift was to slow down... Your e-shift on your IS300 is better than the one I had on the GS400 because the shifts response is more immediate on the IS300. There was a significant delay from when you pushed the button and when the tranny actually shifted in the GS400....... I've heard that you actually get better acceleration times when you just stick it in drive and push the gas, than you would by using the E-shift.
Eric....

[ April 26, 2001: Message edited by: EricK ]

·
Registered
341 Posts
Everytime I start it up, the stick goes down and left immediately. Once I started using it, I can't go back. I prefer the control as well.

·
11,061 Posts
I use it in hilly areas and on very winding roads. I like the control and shifting down can help me avoid riding the brakes down steep hills. Also, I use it in very slow-moving (stop & go) traffic to keep the car from shifting up when I know it will need to come down again.

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Use it mostly for braking. Drop it into 3rd when an idiot infront of you slams on the brakes. I reset it by moving the shift side to side.

·
Registered
21,494 Posts
Originally posted by mojorising:
I pop into it every time I need to do some sort of manuever. I do leave it in Power mode all the time.

I'm the same way. Gotta downshift for passing sometimes.

I leave it in power mode all the time as well. I guess we Chicagoans are all the same (right!).

·
Registered
486 Posts
My car is always in "M" mode so that I have the option of shifting, however for the most part I let it shift itself around town. When a set of corners come my way though, the buttons get well used. As far as straight line acceleration is concerned, I think Erik is right, you may as well let it shift itself.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by Tony Montana:
If you are in M mode and dont shift, will car shift itself??
In M MODE
If you are going too slow for the selected gear then it will automatically downshift to the appropriate gear... However, if you're going too fast for the selected gear then you will find yourself bounching against the rev limiter...OUCH..(at least that's how it was in the GS400)....
Eric....
In the Audi Tiptronic system, if you forget to upshift, it will do it for you...

[ April 26, 2001: Message edited by: EricK ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts