Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9051<A HREF="http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=305417">Our recent story on the speedArena article about the Lexus / Chuck Goldsborough debacle</A> contains this passage: "We know there has been talk of Tom Milner and Prototype Technology Group (PTG) taking over the project and that may end up to be the case, we’ll have to wait and see, though at this point I’ve been told no final decisions have been made." That very much seems to be the case, and both Performance Engineering, Inc. Public Relations & Marketing Manager Leroy Alfred Taylor III (better known to the my.IS community as member Apex84) and Lexus USA's Motorsports & Events Consultant Brad Nelson have gone on record as stating that no overtures or plans have been made towards any other team. Nevertheless, as Lexus enthusiasts with a high emotional stake in this story, it behooves us to be as informed as possible and to <A HREF="http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=306592">find whatever little cracks of noise we can in the wall of silence.</A>
<P>9050Tom Milner is the President and CEO of the Prototype Technology Group (PTG). <A HREF="http://www.ptgracing.com/aboutus/index.html">Their website tells us</A> that they have been BMW's primary U.S. motorsports research and development team for the BMW M3 since 1995. They have actually carried out for BMW the move from the Grand Am series to American Le Mans GT2-S (which, of course, foreshadows Lexus' IS racing plans in North America), and the team receives factory assistance from BMW and sponsorship from BMW Financial Services. Milner has over 30 years of experience in the racing industry, the last 11 having been spent with BMW.
<P>Why, then, would such a BMW loyalist be linked via rumo(u)r to Team Lexus? The answer may lie <A HREF="http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060814/FREE/60807025&SearchID=73257968956438">in a recent brief AutoWeek article titled BMW quits sports cars — Lack of relevance to automakers’s product range cited</A>, which reads as follows:
<P>"BMW will pull out of U.S. sports car racing after an almost unbroken run of participation dating back to 1995.

<P>BMW North America says it will end its 12-year relationship with Tom Milner’s Prototype Technology Group team at the close of the American Le Mans Series season. It is the end of a successful partnership that has yielded 54 wins from 114 race starts from 1995 to 2001 and from 2003 to 2006 in almost every U.S. sports car series.

<P>A BMW North America spokesman says the company canned PTG’s long-running program because it no longer has any relevance to BMW’s product range. PTG races an E46-shape BMW M3, a car that is disappearing from dealerships. A new M3 likely won’t appear in the United States until 2008, and BMW does not want to race a car it does not sell.

<P>BMW has not ruled out returning to sports cars in 2008, and Milner says PTG will continue next season, perhaps running its GT-2 class M3s in the ALMS on a privateer basis."

<P>The above situation bears an eerie resemblance to the 2005-2006 season hiatus taken by Chuck Goldsborough's Team Lexus during the changeover from the first to the second-generation Lexus IS. Chuck patiently waited for the new IS to be released. Will history repeat itself and will Tom Milner wait for the E92 BMW M3 to be released and available for modification to racing trim? Or will he emulate what Sir Frank Williams did in Formula 1 and move his team from BMW to Toyota/Lexus?

Attachments

·
Speed Enthusiast
261 Posts
To Lexus (Toyota)

Please, Lexus:

<P>Just STOP messing around and figure out how to get a car on track!

<P>This is just ridiculous.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Ha ha, those PTG Beemers are BADASS cars for SURE ...

<P>One of my favorite moments was when the Speed TV cameras caught a SUPER PISSED Tom Milner (I think it was at Daytona) and there was some officiating snafu and I think they held one of his cars in the pits for an extended stop. He was literally bright red and every other word he said was "Fucking" and I think if he could have reached the official he would have piledriven him into the Pit Lane!

<P>This was WELL before the Janet Jackson TIT attack and the resulting Draconian FCC regulations on "profanity", so SpeedTV let it roll.... only beeping him out on the replay highlights that night...

<P>Gotta love that guy..... if the IS350 race program moves to PTG, NO OFFENSE MEANT TO PEI, but Lexus should be in good hands once again...

<P>We can only pray they get their SHIT together some time soon!!!

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An article on Tom Milner that appeared on the SPEED TV website includes these passages:

<P>While his plans for the 2007 American Le Mans Series are still coming together, Tom Milner expressed satisfaction, if not delight, with the results of BMW Team PTG’s return to the series in ’06.

<P>Milner wants to compete again in the American Le Mans Series next year. Returning with BMW likely is out of the question, but Milner indicated a return with an alternative car make is possible.

<P>“We have plans to be back in the series,” he said. “We know all about the rumors. We’re working on it but are slowly running out of time.”

<P>To read the full article, <A HREF="http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/alms/33957/">click here.</A>

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, forget about the possibility of Tom Milner taking over Lexus' IS350 ALMS GT-2S effort. According to <A HREF=" http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/alms/34608/">an article on the SPEED TV site</A>, Milner will be joining forces with Dan Panoz' namesake team, which also competes in the American Le Mans Series GT2 class.
<P>Our thanks for bringing this story to our attention go to my.IS member wsracer, who is actually U.S. Touring Car Championship racer (in a Lexus IS300) Tim Nickel of Nickel Motorsports, and the subject of an upcoming my.IS interview.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts