Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last night I was coming home and ran over a big ditch in the asphalt. The speed was about 40-45 mph. The tires and suspension absorbed the hit but the front tire got damaged (a bubble on the sidewall appeared). As the result I'll have to replace at least the front tires and the suspension might need some work too.

Who can be held responsible for that given that the road was poorly lit and there were no warning signs? Should I go through my car insurance for that?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Some insurance will cover road hazard damage, so find out from your insurance. But if it's under your deductable you have to pay the cost. If the cost is a substantial amount, insurance will cover the amount and you pay your detectable plus tax.

·
Registered
42 Posts
here in the 808, the city is somewhat held accountable for damage done to cars because of poorly maintained streets. i hit a pothole once and it ended up denting the side of my wheel. i filed a a claim with the city and they ended up paying for it. i dunno if your c&c's are similar to that though...just a thought

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had suspension damage before from hitting a rather large pothole in Bethlehem, PA. The city apparently has a clause that states that they are only responsible for damaged roads that have been reported to them. Essentially, if someone has reported the exact pothole you hit, and the city didnt do anything about it, they will pay for the repairs. Of course in my case, this pothole was apparently "new" and they were not held accountable. You should check it out with your town to see what they will do.

Sam

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Not to be mean, but in most cases they'll just smile at you and won't do anything about it, by that I mean paying for your wheel/tire. You have to take a hit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for your feedback! I think I'd rather change the tire and save some time I can otherwise spend trying to get compensated...

/Sergey

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
City, State, paving crew, local police on that route, emergency vehicles that have traveled that route under non-emergency circumstances (for instance: coming back from a false alarm). The list continues.

If you have thousands of dollars in damage, its probably still going to be unreasonable to get an attorney and sue. It would take a long time to finally get reimbursed and you would likely go through more trouble than you'd like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts