Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have the stock headunit, but added amp, and subs????????
If so, how does it sound???

And pics? and what kind subs/amp did you go with?

thanks....im tryin, to figure out what i should buy, i want something not so expensive, but not cheap pos either....

any suggestions would be aweomse

later

·
Registered
178 Posts
Overcrook said:
How many of you have the stock headunit, but added amp, and subs????????
If so, how does it sound???

And pics? and what kind subs/amp did you go with?

thanks....im tryin, to figure out what i should buy, i want something not so expensive, but not cheap pos either....

any suggestions would be aweomse

later
Cheapest and easiest setup: buy an amp & 10" free-air sub: put the sub in the ski-pass by customizing it yourself! Total cost = $200-300

My setup looks just like the sub came with the car...all stock...hehehe

At first I thought this setup would sound really cheap but it turn out not too bad at all....well...for me it sound pretty good :D

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice!

do you have anypic of your ride????

I think i mite just do that....
What kinda amp do you use?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Overcrook said:
nice!

do you have anypic of your ride????

I think i mite just do that....
What kinda amp do you use?

You can use pretty much any amp you like, but I have a 220w Clarion with built-in crossover, LLC and etc...you can get it for like $199.99 :crazy: or maybe it's even less now. If you are going to do this setup...don't go crazy on the amp & sub or else you will blow your ears out :lol: (remember...the sub is pointing in the direction where your right ear is at) Just get a sub with approx. 100-200 RMS and an amp from 150w to 300w.

If you need any help with this setup just ask :D

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gave this a second though, and nah, i wont put it in the ski-pass.

Now determining what sub i want.......im probably gonna just get 1 sub, cuz i want to have lots of trunk space, so im thinking one 12, or even one 10.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me? and which amp to get for the suggested sub?

thanks a lot....i know i ask a lot of questions....but ya i wanna get the right thing and not regret it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
i just had a shop install an amp for me and i put in 2 10" rockford fosgates. i think it sounds pretty good for a cheap little system

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i have two alpine subs type-r's with the huge 1500 watt v-12 amp, pretty loud the subs are not as good as the polks that i blew but will see what happens i may jus swith back to the momo's. the set-up is about 1500, amp ,subs, wiring,install, enclosure. sounds good but prolly gonna replace the factory system to.

·
Registered
195 Posts
MTX amp and two 12" Kicker Free Airs in a ported enclosure. It hits pretty good. With the windows and sunroof opened you can hear me coming up the block :D Removed ski pass through, drilled out rivits holding the ski bag inplace, put plastic plugs in rivit holes, and put pass through trim ring back in. It looks pretty clean and you can't see the frame of the car through the opening.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I did mine in two stages...

1. Added a JL 500x1 and JL 10w7. In my opinion it sounded very good but with windows down and stuff the front speakers (or mids and highs basically) got muffled easily. It's hard to explain, it still sounded *pretty good* but not strong enough.

2. Added a JL 300x2 and Focal 6 1/2" Pk2 fronts. This sounds perfect together in my opinion. I maintain the stock headunit and some peoples' jaws drop when they listen to how good it sounds maintaining the stock head-unit.

It's definitely possible to leave the stock headunit in for a while... just make sure you use a good HL converter and materials in the pathway as you don't have as good a unit to work with.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had the stock deck running a 10w7 in the ski pass with the JL 1000.1 amp and it did not BUMP for SH*T!!!! It may look nice but it don't bump TRUST ME. (CONSIDERING A w7 also) -I threw it in the trunk and it sounded a little BIT louder. im going with a 12w7 false floor with 1000.1 and gonna buy a 500.1 for my 10w7 I should be straight also now that I got the Kenwood kvt-911 it should sound BETTER! Hopefully. Im the car show king! :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
doing an install with all stock speakers and an mtx sub with a lightening audio amp. in the works now. just made my round sub box 24" diameter and 7 inches deep....goes right where the spare sits.

gonna get a stereo place to install amp...just easier than digging around for a power trigger wire etc. i think install is like 40 bucks canadian amp was around 199 or 230? got the mtx 12" sub for 99 bucks at future shop but had same setup in my old car with a square box and it kicked...i had to detune it so as not to blow the f***ing trunk lid off.... :crazy:

i think the stereo in this car is fantastic for a stock deal....no its not a 4000 dollar system but other than powering a stadium its fine

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the input, Im probably gonna go with one good 12, and an amp to go with it......Ill let u know when i have everyhing setup.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just came bak from an audio store, and they insisted on me not buying just amp/sub for the IS, because it will sound like shit.
Also they told me that they will have lots of problems installing an amp onto the IS by just tapping it into the rear 6x9s..aahh WTF, maybe i need to goto a better place!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
u need to go to a better place- i think my subs sound fine, i will be redoing everything stock though jus cause i want it to be a little better.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what do you guys think of the Concept CC2002 amp?

It has:
200 WATTS X 2 @ 4 OHM RMS *350 WATTS X 2 @ 2 OHM RMS *680 WATTS X 1 @ 4 OHM BRIDGED RMS *950 WATTS X 1 @ 2 OHM BRIDGED RMS *BUILT IN VARIABLE CROSSOVER *PLATINUM CONNECTORS

And Yes if you have fans this puppy is Stable at 1 OHM

anywayz, im looking for a good powerful amp to power one or two 12's, not sure whihc ones yet, i can just get a good deal on these amp, so i thought they were a good choice?
Damn audio stores here in vancouver dont know shit, and they were not sure how they could just install sub/amp.
So if i get this amp, I just need the subs, and a hi/lo converter right?

Thanks so much

and if u have some suggestions of which subs to run, please tell me that too.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I got 2 Audiomobile Mass 12's running off a RF bd1000.1 with about 500 going to each sub. The subs are in 1.25cf sealed enclosure each. The box is a bit too big and I lost a lot of trunk space, too make up for it I removed the spare and carpeted the trunk floor. They are facing front to protect the speakers but if you face them towards the rear then it sounds noticeably louder. It sounds pretty good for a stock system, but at high levels the mids just can't keep up with it. I played around with the crossover settings and around 100Hz seems like a good balance.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow, i went to a local audio shop (better one) and i told them that i want some wiring done, and they told me that I should do something else.
Rockford makes some device that i can hook up the the stock deck, and convert it to rca to plug in an amp, and even has bass control.
I think im going to try that out.
Does anyone know what im talking about? haha

·
Registered
151 Posts
my old car had a really expensive sysytem but for the mean time since i like the in dash changer I added some jl woofers and a ppi amp and it sounds pretty good for me to live with and not want to upgrade

·
Registered
57 Posts
PM me and I'll email you some pics of my stereo. I have a JL amp and a 12" sub. It's been made to maximize my trunk space. Did everything myself too.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts