Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was stolen in Nevada and declared totaled from my insurance company Geico. So they paid me back in full and everything seemed cool.

But a few days ago, I had two unpleasant conversations with Geico agents the other day. They asked me where I was and I told them that I was in Nevada (for vacation). Immediately, they changed the address without my permission, so now the policy is totally changed. When I argued, they are doubling my insurance rate cuz they said I changed my address to Nevada two months ago (I was in Japan at that time). The fact is, I didn't ask to change the address but I did tell them to send the documents to Nevada because my car was stolen there and my aunt, who lives in Nevada, could help me with it. I think they are using that excuse to double my rate.

My question is, can they use that as an excuse to raise my rate? What can I do? I want to change insurance company, but I got a ticket 2 years and 11 months ago (less than 3 years) and then got my car stolen six months ago. You think other companies will rape me with outrageous quotes too? Please help!

·
8,880 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem with another insurance company.
Just call them and get a quote. :eek:
Something tells me you will get a better rate than you do with Gieco. :-?

Just like stated above, they should change the address no problem. I don't see why you can't have a residence address different from billing one.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Re: Who can help me with this insurance problem? This is urg

miky702 said:
My car was stolen in Nevada and declared totaled from my insurance company Geico. So they paid me back in full and everything seemed cool.

But a few days ago, I had two unpleasant conversations with Geico agents the other day. They asked me where I was and I told them that I was in Nevada (for vacation). Immediately, they changed the address without my permission, so now the policy is totally changed. When I argued, they are doubling my insurance rate cuz they said I changed my address to Nevada two months ago (I was in Japan at that time). The fact is, I didn't ask to change the address but I did tell them to send the documents to Nevada because my car was stolen there and my aunt, who lives in Nevada, could help me with it. I think they are using that excuse to double my rate.

My question is, can they use that as an excuse to raise my rate? What can I do? I want to change insurance company, but I got a ticket 2 years and 11 months ago (less than 3 years) and then got my car stolen six months ago. You think other companies will rape me with outrageous quotes too? Please help!
It sucks but insurance companies are at leisure to raise your rate whenever they want. They don't need a reason at all. So whether you were in Nevada or not is pointless. I say you shop around for another insurance company. Then once you get a quote go back to Geico and say match or beat this or I leave.

·
8,880 Posts
^^^^ :lol:
Insurance companies do not match rates. They have a rating system that they use. Every insurance company has their preferred drivers and not so preferred ones. If you do not fit the preferred category, they will give you a high rate. However, that category varies from company to company. That's why shopping around can save money.

It has been a while, but I still remember a thing or too from the time I used to work on a comparative rating project. :lol:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If your policy has not come to an end, meaning your not at the end of your 6 or 12 months, then your insurance company can not raise your rates untill it gets renewed.

And shit man, 2 stolen cars in six months!!!!!! Someone needs to stop parking in the ghetto.

·
Registered
290 Posts
yea they cant change your address if you havent acutally changed it...just give them proof of your real permenent address and they have accept it...you can also search around for price quotes of different companys and if you find a better rate then go to it...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thing is, I got quotes from all these insurance companies and they all at least 1500 for 6 months! My original policy is half that. It wouldn't make much difference changing or staying with Geico either way. I guess my record is all messed up already.

I just sent Geico to prove that my permanent address is in CA. I gave them more than enough evidence (copy of my tax forms, proof from my college). We'll see what happens.

Anyone knows a place where I can find quotes from different insurance companies all at once? I only know the big companies, and I wouldn't mind going for the shitty ones if the quotes are low (my car has salvage title). But I don't know where to find them. It's very time consuming too. Please help out!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
miky702 said:
The thing is, I got quotes from all these insurance companies and they all at least 1500 for 6 months! My original policy is half that. It wouldn't make much difference changing or staying with Geico either way. I guess my record is all messed up already.

I just sent Geico to prove that my permanent address is in CA. I gave them more than enough evidence (copy of my tax forms, proof from my college). We'll see what happens.

Anyone knows a place where I can find quotes from different insurance companies all at once? I only know the big companies, and I wouldn't mind going for the shitty ones if the quotes are low (my car has salvage title). But I don't know where to find them. It's very time consuming too. Please help out!
try amica. They are well rated and have pretty good rates. Trust me that you don't want some cut rate little company. If you are under 25 and want to change companies, it can be tough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts