Lexus IS Forum banner

1721 - 1740 of 1931 Posts

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Got coilovers ordered last week though.
uh, didnt you already have coilovers? Or did your car not have struts, why you were running so low :lol:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
uh, didnt you already have coilovers? Or did your car not have struts, why you were running so low :lol:
I think this will be his 3rd set haha. What are you getting Corey?

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
I think this will be his 3rd set haha. What are you getting Corey?
well shyt, sounds like Corey needs to start donating parts to us lol

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,724
Haha yeah, Rey is correct. Will be my third set of coilovers

My current set of BC weren't the extreme drop version so I had to droop the springs to get as low as I wanted. Plus I wanted to go stiffer.

I was going to rebuild them, but to get new extreme drop shocks and Swift springs it was basically the same cost as new.

So I just bought a new set of BC exteme drop in 18k/16k with Swift springs

My current set will probably be for sale after I swap them. I'll clean them up and see if they are blown or not. Feal Suspension will rebuild them for $75 a piece. Or new cartridges are like $150 each from Figs

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,725 (Edited)
Well been super busy the last month. My coilovers showed up two weeks earlier than expected, and it's been a pain in the ass since then :lol:

BC BR Series Coilovers in 18k/16k with Swift Springs

DSC_4790_zpsm9bmtzgn by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4791_zpspmiwxhti by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Front out
DSC_4788_zpsw3sjejs8 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Rear out
DSC_4804_zpsvwepxo2j by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Rear comparison
DSC_4803_zps7brcc5za by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Old front
DSC_4789_zpsnk5dpyh7 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Comparison of the fronts
DSC_4792_zpsjazpi1bs by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Cusco full positive vs full negative
DSC_4793_zpspw7joike by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Lower control arm out
DSC_4868_zps6dxzgejt by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

New drop arms in
DSC_4872_zpsnubx9vhb by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

So basically I got them installed no problem, but had the worst time trying to get the height set where I wanted. I'd get it set, but couldn't turn, raise it to turn, but be 1/2" off from each other. Weirdest stuff I'd ever seen lol. Eventually found out the rear wouldn't go as low as I wanted... So after talking to Figs I purchased a set of Drop Mega Arms. Was unexpected but whatever, it will be much better suspension geometry wise.

I got the arms swapped in, but was still have trouble getting the height set. I was trying to do some-what of an alignment my self but ended up just getting everything WAY out of wack lol.

Eventually completely started over, and basically gave up on trying to align it myself. I was worried not having camber at least close was effecting the height so I think I've got them decently close now.

Part of the problem/reason I was trying to get it close my self is the area I live in. Everyone looks at me like I'm trying to do something unheard of/impossible because they've never seen anything like it.

So last week I finally was ready to get an alignment (3 weeks after installing the coilovers lol). Took it to 2 different places, and neither could get the car on the rack. No front bumper, no side skirts, and lots of wood. The car isn't even as low as I want it to be so it's been very frustrating.

Toyota has an in ground alignment rack, but basically told me they didn't want to do it. They said "they updated their computers and they aren't as user friendly to custom specs". Bunch of bull shit if you ask me...

But I went by there Thursday to show them and explain what I wanted, and they are going to try to do it Tuesday.

So that's that. I drove my car the weekend the coilovers showed up, 10 hours in the rain, and haven't washed it since. Front bumper is barely hanging on with 2 zip ties and still no side skirts, so no pictures of it as is.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,727
thats crazy in for more updates
What's crazy is it's not even that low. I would like to be about an inch lower all the way around, if not more.

ANNNNNDDDD Toyota couldn't do it. There in ground rack had jacks that stuck up too far. So I had to take it to some other place that had a pit and just did a strings and levels alignment.

So I don't expect these tires to last very long. Not to mention I had the front all over the place, and when they pulled out all of the front camber it raised it. So I need to lower the front more.

Frustrated with cars right now :serious:

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,728
Like I said, not near as low as I want. Front is my fault, rear not so much. Rears are too wide/high offset and hit the springs on my coilovers. Can't push them further out without pulling or flares and I'm not doing either.

(I put towels in my inner barrels after drying to suck up the standing water)

And the front bumper is just hanging in there, not putting it on better until I test fit Elixir.

DSC_4916 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4913 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4905 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4903 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4900 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4899 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4886 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
It looks like you can do another 5mm in the rear?

Edit: where did you get the Vertex fenders?

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,730
It looks like you can do another 5mm in the rear?

Edit: where did you get the Vertex fenders?
5mm out or lower? Either isn't really doable lol. I may be able to squeeze out a little lower, but I can't match the front now so it's pointless.

Can't go out more than 2mm or so. I can barely fit a key between the tire and quarter panel. Under full compression the lip of the wheel BARELY clears by maybe 2mm lol

I got my fenders from auctions in Japan

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,731 (Edited)
Don't know if it was mentioned, but I had the full Elixir kit cut in half to save $$$$. This allowed me to buy new coilovers, and the amount saved was greater than what it will cost to have it refiberglassed together and primered.

Yes I could have waited, but I preferred to get the kit in hand as I had the means to get it (both financially and logistically). I'm just happy to actually have the kit and now I don't have to worry about it being discontinued or anything like that.

I have been wanting to fit it, but was waiting to get the wheels on, height set, and aligned. Finally had everything done and had time today so I threw the front and side on (and Vertex bonnet spoiler and quarter window duct). Still need a JDM rear bumper.

Also going to have to decide on a grill, and I'm torn on a TRD wing or different style. Elixir is so sharp that I feel like the stock round spoiler doesn't match.

I'd love a new hood so I could have EVERYTHING done at the same time but that may be a stretch :lol:

Everything is on hold right now though, kind of lol. Trying to decide to be responsible and address minor issues (both rear knuckle bushings look pretty worn and I seem to have some sort of oil leak). The bushings I can deal with, but I'd like to get Trac links at the same time and I'd rather not deal with another alignment right now. So waiting until fall/winter seems like a better idea lol.

The oil leak I'm hoping is just valve covers, but I'm not convinced yet. There's oil around the bellhousing/block area, about half way up the block. It doesn't look like it's going out the drain hole like a rear main leak would, but I also don't have oil in the spark plug channel.

I noticed some on the back side of the intake side valve cover, but the noticeable amount of oil lower is on the exhaust side.

I'm pretty tired of working on the car right now, so I'm going to wait a few days and then try to get under and see if I can get a better look. Just in a bad spot to try to look close as the header and all the underpanels are in the way.

DSC_4918_zpsf1nkbgns by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4921_zpsdwz1bbms by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4922_zpscmuq6ajb by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4923_zpsyjgo3mbs by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4925_zps4r1kmls4 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
ah, maybe it was the angle, thinking you could go out another 5mm

EDIT: I to had a small leak and under the car was filthy. I had my upper and lower part of the motor steamed cleaned, or pressure wash it clean and then drive a bit to see if you can pinpoint where the leak is. I too thought it was a rear main seal, but it was the valve cover.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,733
ah, maybe it was the angle, thinking you could go out another 5mm

EDIT: I to had a small leak and under the car was filthy. I had my upper and lower part of the motor steamed cleaned, or pressure wash it clean and then drive a bit to see if you can pinpoint where the leak is. I too thought it was a rear main seal, but it was the valve cover.
If I took off my 3mm spacer I could maybe swap to 5mm lol. But right now I've got the stiffness, height, and camber balanced that my driver side doesn't rub/hit ANYTHING.

Passenger side for some reason rubs the very top outer edge of the inner fender well. And the inner fender well about 2/3" above the fender lip. I tried to take a hammer to that area tonight lol but no idea if it help or will help at all.

Under my car doesn't have any trace of oil anywhere else except the bell housing/block/oil pan area. I took some pictures early so I'll get them posted in a few

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,736
omg elixer looks so cool. im excited for you lol
I was honestly worried that after all the time, energy, and $$$$ spent getting the kit, I wouldn't even like it on the car. I've looked back at other cars with it, and even recent cars with the front bumper , and really haven't been impressed.

But I can finally say I'm EXCITED about how it will end up looking. Everything I've had up to this point (rep TRD, real TRD, Vertex, Modellista) has been alright, I've liked them. Vertex I loved then ended up not liking at all after like 6 months lol. Modellista has grown on me and I will be keeping the car with Modellista basically full time.

But I think Elixir is finally what I envisioned. I just need time (and $$$$) to bring it all together with a 1jz.

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
So not real sure what's up. I don't have any carb or brake cleaner so I didn't mess with trying to clean it off yet. It's not a big leak, there isn't anything being blown back towards the rear of the car yet. And I didn't get a good picture of it, but there isn't oil collecting around the weep hole where I would expect the rear main seal leak to show itself.
Yeah, its hard to tell where its coming from. Its definitely something to look into, when you get around to it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was honestly worried that after all the time, energy, and $$$$ spent getting the kit, I wouldn't even like it on the car. I've looked back at other cars with it, and even recent cars with the front bumper , and really haven't been impressed.

But I can finally say I'm EXCITED about how it will end up looking. Everything I've had up to this point (rep TRD, real TRD, Vertex, Modellista) has been alright, I've liked them. Vertex I loved then ended up not liking at all after like 6 months lol. Modellista has grown on me and I will be keeping the car with Modellista basically full time.

But I think Elixir is finally what I envisioned. I just need time (and $$$$) to bring it all together with a 1jz.
vvti, i hope? haha.

yeah i liked vertex on your car but it got boring quick. modellista was okay too but i couldnt like it for some reason, idk why haha. shit looks amazing now though. thank you for putting it together so well lol.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Many people do not understand why someone would even think of cutting any kit in half lol but I think it was the best way to go... I waited over 20 weeks for mine, port strikes, customs, blah blah blah. Being patient was one thing but delays kept increasing the risk of the kit getting damaged so your route was much much better. So glad you finally got it though :grin:

Don't prolong maintenance, as much as you want the kit and other parts on there, maintenance is priority. I'm in the same boat lol, boring suspension overhaul here I go.

·
Registered
755 Posts
so happy for you man. id probably do the same as you, cut it in half. shipping is such a PITA.

i have an oil leak coming out of my valve covers now....nothing like a leaky ol' NA 2J.....the 1JZ VVTi is calling -_-

1721 - 1740 of 1931 Posts